Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Saws & Axes info.

Axes are sexy. They get all the nostalgia and glory and I like them. However they are not as efficient as a saw. A saw "slits" a log in two. Think of how much more wood is removed to chop a log into two. I carry a folding pruning saw form Lowe's with about a 14" blade. It really eats the woods. For me I carry a Cold Steel Recon Tanto (7" knife) and my pruning saw. As an option I carry my Gerber/Friskars hatchet too and I love it. When I have the saw and an ax I look at the cutting job. If I figure I can make the cut in 3-4 chops- I grab my Ax. Otherwise I saw it. But often the Hatchet stays home, but the saw never does. It's just generally more calorically efficient.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

With all the axes, hatches, hawks, saws I have......yesterday I did some pruning for a deer blind with the saw blade on my SAK....still my most used tool.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

My favorite axe to carry is a roofers hatchet blade on one side and hammer on the other with a wooden handle. Got it at Home Depot for about 20 bucks. I also carry a folding saw, and a medium sized belt knife.

i keep a timberline alaskan bush pilot hatchet whal its light and small it puts in the work i need it to however i dont have a saw or big ax
    fixed blades : rather have one and not need it than need it an not have one!
    My Youtube Playlist

i always have my timberline alaskan bush pilots hatchet in my pack its good for it intended use
    fixed blades : rather have one and not need it than need it an not have one!
    My Youtube Playlist

I am all for the axe! I carry three cutting tools, a Mora Bushcraft Force, Buck multi tool and a beautiful Gransfore Burks small forest axe. I have never had a issue when carrying these three. The only way I would carry a saw is if I could carry my 30" Bahco bow saw, that thing cut fast but is way to big to carry. I did carry a small Bahco folding saw for a shot while years ago but did not like it. The small size of the wood a folding saw can cut takes is no time to cut through with the razor sharp Burks and in the winter time in eastern canada you need the axe for the large amount of fire wood in the winters. However, some love the folding saw and if they work for you thats great. It is all about personal perference right?

I do carry a folding saw in my pack, but bought me a Cold Steel Kukuri Machete which is a nice item to have. I modified the sheeth to accomodate my flint and survival bag so i made it a sort of all in one.

I have many axes and hatchets, but the ones that see the most use are my Estwings. I have the large blue campers axe that I carry in my Explorer along with my Timberline pilots hatchet. I have Estwings scattered in various sheds and places around the place here. Also have some Norlunds and other brands of that ilk. I do use them a lot when I am out and about in the woods. I also have an Opinel folding saw, which is like a wood razor! I found that it fits in those small leather sheaths you buy at the hardware store or lumber yard for a utility knife. I picked up a bunch of sheaths on clearance one time and just happened to have them in sight when I brought the Opinel home. I oiled the sheath up and put the saw in it and it fit like it grew there. I don't use this a whole lot though, it is usually in my backpack. I also have several small folding saws that came in pack with pruning shears. They are very sharp and come in handy a lot too. Made by the China knife and tool company of course!

One thing that I have found to be of extreme use and handiness is the short tool box hand saws from the hardware store. They are about 14-16" or so, and cut both on the pull and push stroke. Stanley and Irwin are two names that come to mind. I have a Craftsman one too. I use one of them a LOT during the summer when I am working in the woods here. Always wanted to make a nice leather sheath for it, but just haven't had the time. The saw is light. cuts like a demon, ans stays sharp a long time. Like any saw, and their one big weakness, they have to be kept pitch free and they are not the easiest to sharpen if they get dulled. The sharpening aspect is the one thing that puts an axe/hatchet above a saw. Not everyone can sharpen a saw. Not everyone can sharpen an axe either though, but there is more forgiveness in a dull axe than in a dull saw!

Either way, having a cutting thing is a must!

For a regular ax, I usually go with a plumb or one of the axes I found at a flea market and stuck a new handle on.

As for hatchets, I have an EstWing Carpenter at the moment and it doesn't give me any problems:
    http://www.amazon.com/EstWing-Solid-...stwing+hatchet

I have a cold steel tomahawk for trekking in the bush, (If you need to make a fire it is a lot quicker with less energy than a knife). In the home survival two small hatchets, two machetes' and two pole axes with a bow saw, and a folding saw. I looked at the hand chain saw, but it seemed like a lot of effort for the result.

I carry a small Wetterlings axe. I do think a small folding saw is great, but for a multi-function tool, you can't beat a small to medium size axe. I usually have it stuck through a loop on the outside of my pack. The thing people think about these days is the weight. But if you pack everything else properly, you should be able to carry an axe without getting too heavy.

i took the head off of a swiss army hatchet 1 lb 11 oz and put it on a 36 " hickory axe handle. I use it for a walking stick as well as a axe. under 3 lb total wgt. plan on adding a rubber walking stick tip as soon as i can find parts

Great to hear the thoughts and experiences on this. I've been considering adding a folding saw to my kit for a while now.

My current blade set up is as follows... a small folding knife in my pocket, a robust 4 inch blade bushcraft/survival knife (currently an ESEE 4) on my hip, a mora in my pack as a back up blade, a multi tool in my pack, and a Grans Fors Bruks small forest axe strapped to the outside of my pack. This system of blades works pretty well for me and gives me enough redundancy to feel comfortable.

But it does seem like some common wood cutting chores may be done more efficiently with a saw. My only problem is I'm already pushing the weight threshold with my kit and I'm not sure what blade I would take out to replace with the saw...
    Take everything you need...nothing you don't...

Saws are actually pretty light weight. I've carried the same Gerber Sportsman's saw for several years now. It's a whopping 3.4 ounces and works really well.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Saws are actually pretty light weight. I've carried the same Gerber Sportsman's saw for several years now. It's a whopping 3.4 ounces and works really well.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Do you also carry an axe? If you were me would you consider replacing my axe with a saw? Or just adding the saw to my kit. I realize I'll have to get out there and try it to know for sure but I'd be curious to hear your thoughts. What are some of the typical tasks that you find become much easier with a saw?

I actually carry a tomahawk. It's lighter weight than an axe. I tried an Estwing camp hatchet but it was just too heavy. I don't plan to fell any trees so my needs are smaller. I have a bit larger hatchet I use to car camp. Crash made it and I won it at one of the jamborees.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Rick,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm heading out for a BOB test trip next weekend. I think I'll throw a folding saw in and see how useful it comes in for me.

Never used a tomahawk, but some of them sure do look cool.

Default estwing camp ax

Ive carried mine for a few years now on hikes. Its pretty much indestructable.

Hunter63 saying Hey there, wayne, and Welcome.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I'm a Tomahawk guy. I don't use hatchets or hand axes. I use a hawk, and I've got plenty of them!

The SOG Tactical Tomahawk is the tomahawks of tomahawks. It has the power to cut through small trees and shrubs in no time. It holds a blade, and I've used it to break up rocks, bricks and other kinds of rubble. It's light weight, easy to handle and absorbs impact like no other tomahawk I have ever used. It is, in my opinion, the best of the best.

The SOG Fasthawk Tactical Tomahawk is a variant of the SOG Tactical Tomhawk, the Fasthawk is slightly smaller and lighter. I don't like it as much, because without the weight, it doesn't have the power of the original in my opinion. Other then that, it stands up to the same vigorous testing.

The Cold Steel Trench Hawk is a good hunting Tomahawk. If I'm down in the Louisiana swampland hunting wild boar, I usually got this sucker in tow. I can wield it with one hand like a hatchet, or if I need to do some serious chopping, wield it like an axe with two. I love this tomahawk so much, I have one in my pickup truck and one stashed away in my hunting/camping gear. It's also a good alternative to the more expensive SOG hawks, if your in an area where its easy to lose equipment.

The Cold Steel Frontier Hawk is a one handed tomahawk fit for small places and light to medium jobs and last awhile. I bought one for a hunting buddy of mine that's 4'11 and 98 pounds soaking wet, because it was light and easy to use. It keeps a blade rather nicely, and the handle can be easily fitted with a parachord grip. Good for small people and kids.

The Estwing Tomahawk looked like it had great potential, but fell flat for my needs. I needed something I could carry into the woods, or the swamps or the mountains. It is however good for those in need of good tomahawk for a construction site, the home or similar work. I sold mine off after I picked up my Cold Steel and SOG hawks.
    Last edited by Adventure Wolf; 06-04-2014 at 02:17 AM.