Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Saws & Axes info.

RBB, that's one Nice Collection!!!
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

alergyfree

Sog tactical tomahawk
    Gerber Gator machete
    as needed
    Upon the fate of all rest the actions of the one

Hey Alergyfree - how about cutting your way over to the Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

I have very basic fiskars axe that I use almost daily for choping wood for sauna and the fireplace. I also chop wood during summer in storage for the winter. Sometimes the axe douples as a hammer for some rought projects like getting tent poles in the ground.
    I also have a very old axe that was made for my grandfather by the villages smith. It is propably the best axe I know.
    I keep the axes in moderate sharpness, usually whit file and wheatstone. The leather strap is overkill cause the axes get so harsh treatment. Besides not having them too sharp is better for choping wood.

I love these Fiskars/Gerber axes. I've had the little Backpax since the first year they were available. Running a trap line or just a day hike, one of them is my constant companion.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Well why not?

Quote Originally Posted by tennecedar View Post
    I love these Fiskars/Gerber axes. I've had the little Backpax since the first year they were available. Running a trap line or just a day hike, one of them is my constant companion.

I have two of the same axes from your picture (the top one and the bottom one). That little backpax is my favorite. I carry it all the time in my pack.

I carry an Estwing Camper's Axe and a Gerber Gator folding saw.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

+1 on the Estwing. I love mine! So easy to sharpen, keeps an edge, and has good balance. Best of all someday even your kids will use yours (If you don't lose it.)
    I'd rather be carried by six than married by one!

Most people will start cuts too narrow when cutting though a log. Better too wide than too narrow. You have to twist the handle when the blade strikes to twist the chips out. When splitting you have to cut a knot in half rather than across it. It's usually better to split from the dry side if a cut piece of firewood has been standing upright. If the cut piece of firewood is too big you have to cut off the sides or use a wedge and sledge hammer. If your handle is smashed up it identifies you as a novice. Like chain saws, don't hit the dirt because you may hit a rock. It's usually better to use a maul when splitting anyhow. Skill outweighs the quality of the axe. I like the stout little foldable saws that are out nowdays for little things, but hand held clippers are darn good and usually handier for clearing small branches when bow hunting.

Default Gerber Kick Axe

Came across Gerber's new folding axe

http://gerbergear.com/index.php/prod.../338#image/442

It won't be available until this July but it looks interesting. Apparently
    it was named National Geographic ADVENTURE Magazine's "Best of Adventure." It weighs 1.15 lbs, has a black oxide coating. and of corse, it folds.

Looks interesting. I wonder how the hinge pin will hold up under repeated use?

Acestor - while we're figuring that out, how about heading over to the Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. You can find it here http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14 Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Looks interesting. I wonder how the hinge pin will hold up under repeated use?

Acestor - while we're figuring that out, how about heading over to the Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. You can find it here http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14 Thanks.
    It looks like the hinge pin is 1/4" in diameter, that should handle chopping jobs of the size limits they mention. I think it would make a good emergency personal defense weapon as well. Especially if you can unfold it into working position in a dramatic way.

To sharpen an axe all you really need is a file. You can get them scary sharp. I know this as fact because I used an axe daily on the job as a land surveyor in the northern forest for many years.
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    I have a small Back-packing hand-axe made by Buck Knives, and a larger axe, just not a full size job, a small & large bow saw, and Gerber's folding hand saw with extra blade.
    i had one of those hand axes by Buck,it was pretty nice.i like the estwing 3/4 axe that you can get at home depot,nearly in-destructable its the best axe ive ever used,they stay sharp,they are shock absorbing so you can swing it all day long.(I use that axe to build log cabins great for planeing and notching the logs).
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Over Taxed Under Paid Swamprat1958's Avatar

Most of the time I carry a Wyoming saw ***** It is compact and is rugged enough for most jobs. It will not cut large diameter logs, but is great on stuff up to 6".
    Last edited by Rick; 05-13-2009 at 02:28 PM. Reason: They bombed your picture so I removed the error.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierarcher View Post
    It looks like the hinge pin is 1/4" in diameter, that should handle chopping jobs of the size limits they mention. I think it would make a good emergency personal defense weapon as well. Especially if you can unfold it into working position in a dramatic way.
    Planting that axe in some would-be home invaders head would be... interesting to say the least. An axe like that I simply would have for nothing BUT self defense, I don't think it would do much good other than that. - plus it'd be good for just something you can conceal in your car :P

A concealed ax for self defense? Yeah, OK - good luck with that.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

A concealed ax for self defense? Yeah, OK - good luck with that.
    I had a client who used that method once. My first murder case......
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

How did he fare?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

How did he fare?
    Well, he gave four, FOUR, videotaped confessions after he was arrested. The first three were suppressed from evidence. Jury saw the last one, where he joked about another defendant named, "Lizzie," from the same city, a century before. The autopsy and crime scene pictures were just like adding whipped cream on top of it all.

He died in prison in his early 30's, while serving a life sentence without possibility of parole.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark