Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Saws & Axes info.

Blog Entries

One of my favorite throwers.

It's really a nice backpack ax/hawk. It's flat, sharp, has a hammer back, up-sweep tip and very good weight. Good for throwing, chopping, pounding, and fighting.

http://Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Unfortunately, it's not mine. LOL. Good friend lent it to me, I did track down the maker and he will be making me one soon. He sells them for a whole 50 bucks, not a bad deal.

I'm going to have him make it with the back part of the handle that is steel, made to be able to use as a striker with flint.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    One of my favorite throwers.

It's really a nice backpack ax/hawk. It's flat, sharp, has a hammer back, up-sweep tip and very good weight. Good for throwing, chopping, pounding, and fighting.

http://Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Unfortunately, it's not mine. LOL. Good friend lent it to me, I did track down the maker and he will be making me one soon. He sells them for a whole 50 bucks, not a bad deal.

I'm going to have him make it with the back part of the handle that is steel, made to be able to use as a striker with flint.
    Nice lookin' tool FVR!!
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

I do have an axe, a trail hawk and a couple of hatchets as well. But for most stuff I find a nice saw works faster and easier for what I need. For long term survival and axe would probably be a necessity . But for short term a stout large knife, modified machete, and saw are plenty for me.

BTW get familiar with using an axe before you "have" to use it. One bad swing is all it takes for a serious injury. Kinda like using a chainsaw for the first time. A lot of people don't take the time it takes to master an axe, I am only decent with one. I know others who are pros and can do anything quickly and smoothly with one. Including wood carvings and such.

Nice pair ya there FVR.

Default ron hoods atax tool

hey guys, new to the forum and was just wondering if anyone has tried out the atax tool. i'm sorta excited to buy and try it out but also weighing up cost and shipping to ireland.

I never used it or even heard of it. I did a search and checked it out. Here is the site I found on it. The blade kind of is exposed for most of the uses of it... that really bothers me. If you look at the first pic on the page you notice the three bloody knuckles... all in a nice stright line with the blade. You would have to add a protection to the blade if not using it for some things. The other thing that bothered me was the $200 price tag.
    "The ability for a person to prevail in a survival situation is based on three factors: survival knowledge, equipment, and will to survive. All are important, but the most important is the will to survive." -Greg Davenport

Default atax

thanks for feed back. yea saw those knuckles, great advertisment !

This looks like a modification to the ULU knife. I own one but don't use it much. As mbarnatl said, the blade is exposed and I am more comfortable with a "standard" knife. The up side to the $200 price tag is it comes with a DVD.

http://www.arcticphoto.co.uk/superga...ung0014-33.htm
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool Hi

Welcome! Now get over to the "introductions" thread and tell us more about you. Give us an idea as to your age, what you do, whereabouts you live, etc.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

why it's a swiss army ulu!
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Default about me

born dublin ireland '72.left at 17 and backpacked around b.c.canada,eventualy got caught and opted to go yo the u.s. spent the best part of 10 years checking out washington, arizona and the nice bits of ca.built a house south of seattle, got married, lived abit of the americian dream then left everything to bum around northern india for half a year.now back in ireland wondering what i'll be when i grow up

i like to survive, so i work on my kit.hennessey hammock,sog seal elite,ontario short & heavy machette, still and fire kit are my basics.

rock on with the camping hammock. i just use a parachutte nylon amazonas but it's nice being able to sleep off of the ground [not having to find level ground, not having to avoid watershed, etc] in areas with sufficient purchase to hang it. and all for a mere 6oz.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

the hammock i got is cool,pretty watertight .was used to using gortex sleeping system (u.s.army type)but humping it around was tiresome ,especially as my kit got more larger and fine tuned.

canid - Do you use the mosquito traveler? If not, how do you combat the mosquitoes and black flys in the summer?

richard - I've looked at those hammocks a hundred times over. One of these days I'm going to just get one. I use a tarp and build a diamond tent but that hammock sure looks comfortable.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

they're not much a problem down here in cali. in Wa/Id smoke does it fine for the squitters but i have a couple yards of netting around somewhere. i haven't needed to bring it out since i bought it.

in Ak, nothing keeps them at bay, looking back, it almost seems i forget to remember them, so to speek.

Ouch! Those freshly skinned knuckles are great advertisements!
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

Default hammock

a couple of months back i dragged a buddy to a local national pk. for a break from the kids, after setting up camp ,fire and grub i climbed in the hammock .its got a no see-um net, starrs were out and about 30 deer came out to check us out.took out my red lense kit and lay silently awe struck as 30 pair of deer eyes reflected back ,spooky but crazy. they hung out for about half hour ,the young were curious but then they scattered as my buddy started snoring
    that one night with the stars and the deer was well worth the $ i spent.

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

its a cool gadget but in survival you need something that will get er dun not some toy that will break and wreck on you right away!

yea kinda given up on the atax job,it is gimicky
    good luck bad luck who knows

I looked at the list of things you could do with it and a lot of the stuff I can do without carrying anything. A couple of sticks in the ground will tell me the time and direction for example. The rest I can do with equipment I have on me already and I don't have to spend the $200. Of course, there is that DVD.

Cool gadgets are okay if they buy you something. Lord knows I've bought my fair share that sit in the back of the closet and collect dust. If that's what you want and your heart it set on it, then go for it. Just let us know how good it is and whether you inherent knuckles like in the picture. (I'm with RR. Wouldn't you think they'd have taken a picture with some squeeky clean hands or maybe some ladies hands to show how easy it is to use? But bloody knuckles, crikey!).

Ooops. We posted at the same time.