Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Saws & Axes info.

So - what you're saying is that even a reeeeeeeally good defense attorney has trouble overcoming stupid?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Some cases are just "slam-dunk" depending on the team you're on........ I'm 66% on murders, though!
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

I just got this tiny little belt hatchet for my truck BOB using Amazon book points.
    http://www.amazon.com/Schrade-241OT-...2265880&sr=8-1
    Gonna take it out this weekend and test it on some storm fall. The knife isn't anything too interesting and the snap does not hold it in the sheath. But the hatchet seems fair. We'll see how long it holds an edge.

Edit:
    I took that little Shrade hatchet out and wailed on some 3" white oak branches clearing up the last of the ice storm fall. It held up very very well. It went through the smaller maple stuff in one or two swings. The handle is a little short for a good swing and you end up letting it slip to the last finger grip but the edge stayed sharp for a good 6 hours of solid clearing up and only needed a minimal honing. A nice little hatchet.
    Last edited by LowKey; 05-17-2009 at 08:04 PM.

I find estwing axes are brilliant

Just about anything Estwing is good stuff. I've used Estwing hammers for over 30 years. I carry the Sportman's Axe in my pack.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Just about anything Estwing is good stuff.
    Estwing - YES. Wstwing - NO.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

MMhmMmmm

I have a gransfors bruks hatchet and LOVE IT. It's small, and lets me use it on the porch or at campsite with ease.

I also have 2 splitting axes and 2 chopping axes from Fiskars and let me tell you for the $ they are AWESOME. If you are 6' or more they may be slightly short but other than that, awesome! VERY VERY sharp. If you read some `tree cutting` forums even they love them.

Even compared to $100 axes/splitters they are awesome.
    I HIGHLY suggest you get one, look on ebay and amazon best prices so far I've found.
    Mountain Man

Blog Entries

Cool Out of respect.

This thread, which has become a very popular sticky, was started two years ago by one of our member's who is no longer with us. (carcajou garou) August 25th marks the 2 year anniversary of the birth of this thread, and August 5th the 2 year anniversary of his join date. I'd like to honor his memory somehow. any ideas anybody?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I think you just did. I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but enjoyed going back and reading some of his posts.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

im thinking about getting a wetterlings 19" bushcraft axe. on the product description it says that the handle is ready for a coat of linseed oil. my question is, is for protection? and should i put it on before i start using it? oh and one more...can i pick some up from a hardware store?
    how dare i call this love and not bare my cross

Bear Clan

Yes to both of your questions.

Edit: I should have said yes to all three of your questions.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 07-03-2009 at 03:46 PM.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

MMhmMmmm

Homedepot and Lowes have it even
    Mountain Man

You might find it labeled "flax seed oil". You need to be very careful with it because any rags you use can go up in flames all by their lonesome if you just leave them in a pile in a garbage can or other type of receptacle.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

thanks for the help guys. how much do i put on? should i put on multiple layers? do i need to wait a couple of days to let it soak in and dry? sorry for all the questions guys, i just wanna make sure im doing it right. thanks for all the help again!

Bear Clan

Are you sure you want to use linseed oil on it? If you plan on using the axe a lot then you really don't need to do anything with it. The oil from your hands will coat the wood. However, if you are going to use it only on occasions then oiling the handle will protect it from moisture and insects.

I've used both pressed and boiled linseed oil. The pressed gives a more golden color while boiled is much darker. The problem with pressed oil is it doesn't dry very well. The boiled linseed oil will dry harder but much darker.

My grandfather used a mixture of pressed oil and turpentine in a 50/50 mix for his handles (he used it on his metal tools, too.) It dries crappy and takes several days so he usually took some light steel wool and rubbed it down after a few days and then applied True Oil over the top. He would also pin the head to the handle and drill the butt of the handle, add oil, then cap it. The idea was the oil would migrate up the handle. I have no idea if it does or not but he must have believed in it.

Dang lot of work doing that but he used his axes every day. Why not just use True Oil on it and be done with it? You can even get True Oil in spray form today.

You can do it a couple of different ways. You can soak the handle for several days then clean it up or you can apply thin coats. If you go with the linseed oil then let it soak. If you use the True Oil you can apply it in coats until you are happy with the result. You don't have to steel wool in between coats unless you just want to.

By the way, don't use paint or varnish on your handle unless you just want a pretty. Paint will cause your hands to blister when using the axe and varnish will be slick as snot if it gets wet.

Remember any rags that you use with linseed oil can self ignite so I generally rinse them in water before discarding.
    Last edited by Rick; 07-04-2009 at 06:24 PM. Reason: spelling

thanks for the info rick. i think im gonna try the true oil out. i dont plan on using this axe everyday, probably just a couple times a week if that. dont know if ill be using it enough for the oil from my hands to coat it. we'll see.

Bear Clan

Let me know how it turns out. I have a couple of very fine axes I inherited. I have a splitting axe that needs to have the handle replaced but I've never been able to bring myself to do it. It was my grandfathers and he put the handle on himself. The other is a double bit felling axe of his that has a crooked handle. It's really kind of funny to look at because it has a terrible bow in it. He called it a two faced (double bit. Get it?) cripple and would always make a face when he said it as if it were a spiteful neighbor. He said he used it to cut the limbs on the opposite side of the tree. The bow in the handle is so bad he might have. I think he hung on to it 'cause it was a great conversation piece. Worthy of discussing over a snort or two. That's just my theory, anyhow, and I'm sticking to it.
    Last edited by Rick; 07-05-2009 at 01:27 AM.

hey rick im having some trouble finding that true oil stuff. ive been to the home depots near my house and they dont seem to carry it and none of the workers seem to know what the heck im talking about. they keep on showing me finish for wooden floors or for outdoor furniture. i dont know if i can use any of that stuff?

Bear Clan

You might check gun stores or wood hobby stores. Tru Oil is often used to finish gun stocks. If you're inclined, there are probably a ton of places to get it on line.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'm surprised that Home Depot doesn't stock it. Here's a link:

Amazon has it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...B7XA37EBWKQHXM

Midway is a little more:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=152772