Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's getting colder, is anyone...

Default It's getting colder, is anyone...

going to try out new cold weather gear this year?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Nope, I am good too -55*.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Me too!

Cabella's has silk long johns and I bought new gas logs.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

No. I'm set.

Hate winter. Thankfully the internal furnace works to about 0° before more than a chore coat and hat are needed (over the usual flannels and long undies). Don't ever want to try -55.

Nope, I am set down to about 60 degrees. I don't even put a jacket on till it gets around 72. I have camped in cooler weather. I have special gear they call a sleeping bag for the stuff that gets down near 55 degrees.

Hey, why do you guys put that little dash thing in front of your numbers?

I am. There is no such thing as bad weather only bad gear! Each year I develop improvements. I have quit carrying camp gear because my clothing has developed to the point I can just plop myself in the snow wherever I am. Winter is easier to travel and opens up areas otherwise not accessable. I am ready for the change from being rained on! I have much more time to do things in winter also.

Banned
    Blog Entries

It was 22* above here this morning.

Yes I plan to. I plan to make myself some mukluks, and make some for my son as well. In fact, I plan on taking two of my sons this December on a campout while I have time off.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Nope, I am good too -55*.
    -55! You must be in Canada or Alaska. What types of 4 season camping items do you think are most helpful?

Winters here for the most part aren't really harse. So long underware and such usually will suffice. However I did add a dozen pairs of woo; socks for wife and self.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

I going to get some new items most likely...some steger mukluks, a new pair of bibs, maybe a wintergreen parka- not sure yet. Just in the shoppng faze right now
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Other than trying out the new Hotblast wood furnace,not really trying out much else new,although I would love a pair of mukluks for when the snow hangs around for a while,but if I got them,it would be one of those years that we didn't get that much snow.

Not sure how to predict the winter this year though,the leaves are already turning,about 4-6 weeks earlier than normal,guessing that's from the dry conditions,but I have seen very few woolly worms,let alone all black ones that indicate a severe winter (odd,cuz the road is usually covered in them around this time).

The Amish have been saying bad winter by looking at persimmon seed,anyone know how that one works?
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Yep, next month and maybe again in November, we're going out to Austin, PA to test out our new zero degree mummy bags. We camped last weekend when the nights were really cold, but brought our old 30 degree bags. The tent kept in a lot of heat and we were actually warm sleeping OUTSIDE the bags! That was very cool.
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

Wait. Was it warm or cool? Was it cool like cold or cool like not warm but really awesome or was it....I think I'm lost.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    The Amish have been saying bad winter by looking at persimmon seed,anyone know how that one works?
    Yep, if you're outdoors staring at persimmon seeds and suddenly realize that you have no feeling in your legs or hands, it's too cold out.

Hey are truly dedicated Amish people just Am?
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

I don't know, Trax. That water that dad has will make you do the same darn thing.

Stare blankly at stuff...check
    No feeling in hands....check
    No feeling in legs....check
    Can't seem to get up off the ground....check
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Its getting hotter. All this summer we had weather in the 75-85 range. It was crazy. Today it was 104 degrees and it has been that way for a week. We are having a really hardcore indian summer over here....

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Wait. Was it warm or cool? Was it cool like cold or cool like not warm but really awesome or was it....I think I'm lost.
    It was warm...thus making it cool! See? That's really easy to follow!
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

I've got a sleeping bag I've been wanting to try. It's rated down to -15F. Hopefully, it will get cold enough for me to actually be able to use it.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa