Thread: evening primrose seed oil

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default evening primrose seed oil

It (Oenothera biennis) has a lot of uses listed, a quick search will turn up some sites, but not a lot out there on processing the seeds, which are ripe in my area. The leaves are gone and no more flowers, just pods ready to open. Should be just right for extracting the oil. It's supposed to be good for your skin.. I'd like to try it for winter dryness.
    Has anybody tried this, or know which kind of press to use? I turned up a couple different kinds, not sure which one would be best to use, or how many it will take to even get a usable amount of oil.
    Just looking for some more info, if anyone knows, or comes across anything.
    It's also said to be a good spindle for hand drilling, and a cordage plant, which I didn't get around to trying earlier, but I might have some stalks to try if I find more on this oil.
    One of those good-all-around plants..
    http://www.complete-herbal.com/detai...ngprimrose.htm
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Blog Entries

Seems to be done with a screw press or solvents. I assume they still need to be crushed with solvents.
    I checked the toolmonger site for a "how to make one". Didn't find much info. I think Crash uses a press for honey and wax. Got any pics of it? I need a few ideas.
    I was thinking of a "roller press" but not sure how that would work either. I can probably get my hands on some rollers.

Blog Entries

I've used EP oil for years. It's great!
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    Seems to be done with a screw press or solvents. I assume they still need to be crushed with solvents.
    I checked the toolmonger site for a "how to make one". Didn't find much info. I think Crash uses a press for honey and wax. Got any pics of it? I need a few ideas.
    I was thinking of a "roller press" but not sure how that would work either. I can probably get my hands on some rollers.
    I have not used a press. I thought about making one, but the bee jobs are not frequent enough. The design (in my mind) had a square frame, with a car, scissor jack. I'll draw a picture of what I was thinking of and snap a pic of it. Not sure if it will work, but you'll be able to see what I was thinking.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

i've often thought about a small expelling press from an arbor press. basically you'd just need to make some custom dies like a heavy-duty hopper and plunger type arrangement.

then again, if i had no end of resources, i've also thought about trying to rig up a simpler roller press for sugar cane and such.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Blog Entries

Sugar cane was where I got the idea for the roller press. I'm gonna do some digging in junkpiles and see what all I can come up with. I know where a couple old screw jacks (scissor type) are that were replaced with nice bottle jacks
    And thanks for the reassurance Winnie. Seeds are ripe here so I'll collect some and see if I can press any oil out.

Would the evening primrose oil be rubbed on you or ingested to treat the skin?

Blog Entries

to treat the skin, it is used topically, but ladies use it for "lady problems" by ingesting. At least the research I've done would lead me to believe so. Maybe Winnie can confirm this for us. EPO is quite a common medicine across the pond, so I understand, and if we can use it, I want to learn how!

Blog Entries

I've only ever used it topically. I suffer from very dry, thin skin as a side effect of the medication I take. I use EP oil as a moisturiser it's very good. I've seen it work wonders on eczema and Psoriasis. I like it because it's not heavy and is absorbed easily. EP oil is a well known complimentary medicine for PMT. I've never used it but it apparently works very well at helping with the symptoms. Here's a bit about it.

http://www.femalehealthissues.co.uk/...mrose-oil.html

Hope this helps!
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Blog Entries

Thanks very much Winnie!

I've also seen it sold to help with symptoms of "the change".