Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Old Classic Pole Structure

The line that runs from magnetic north to magnetic south is called the agonic line. We are almost smack on it. Not enough delineation to worry about over short distances. You are actually about 1 degree better than me. I'm at 4° Negative.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'm about 5° Negative.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So in a mile, I'd still be within a few yards of where I was going.. I knew I didn't need a compass.

It would come in handy for figuring out exactly where I am on the map tho.

I usually measure in a "more or less (soandso) direction"

So, if you were dumped in an unknown area, but had a topo map and compass, how would you be able to determine position?

AS - They do make 4 and 6 inch sextants but they aren't cheap. I've often thought that would be a good tool for a lot of reasons.

http://www.stanleylondon.com/sextsext.htm
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I've decided after remarks in a resent thread to revive this thread and begin post some of my thursday drills and field tests. In this post I would like to give a special thanks to Sarky. He said he carrys screw hooks in his kit and this sounded like such a great idea I had to try it for myself. It was and although I was only thinking about my lightest kit after using them I'll be getting more to add to each of my kits. Again, thanks to Sarky! Although Sarky is a SERE instructor I would also like to use this opportunity to point out that any housewife that has ever hung a coffee cup under a cabinet using these hooks could have thought of this and I believe people know more about survival than they know.

I have thoroughly tested my 4 season kit and am now working on a lighter kit for hiking and just incase. I have not fully developed or tested it yet but this is the process. It now weighs 3 pounds 13 ounces and designed to be worn on my gun belt. There could be better items to use but I am working with things that did not make it into my other kits and just extra stuff I had. And yes...those screw hooks have a perminent place in the kit now. I can't say it enough, great tip Sarky!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I'm a fan of small kits but honestly Altoid tin kits are a waste of time and so is most of the crap found in them. In the field you quickly discover things can be so light and small they are of no practical use and I have found it better to carry fewer, larger and more practical items (opinionated ain't I). A 16 ounce cup is as small as I feel like dealing with. This one is a Coleman stainless steel cup that I cut the handle off to lighten it and get it to fit in kit. I use a can holder as the handle and is great for heating cans of food in a fire. I also shortened the handle to save weight and fit inside cup. Folding titanium spork fits in cup with lighter, Swiss Army Fisherman, bic, handwarmer that recharges by boiling in water and of coarse the screw hooks. 3 foot diameter net for making a dipnet that I can catch all kinds of small game, birds and fish with. Small nylon tarp and paracord. Hung on the outside of bag is Couglans cheap hatchet, a compass with magnifying glass built in, a maglight and a Nalgene bottle.

I began this test selecting a camp site next to a fallen tree. I combine many survival disaplines and while much shelter can be found and primitive debris shelters can be built it is hard to build a roof that does not leak which is why I bring a tarp, use natural support already in place and later pile debris around it.

The thick bark of the fallen tree was falling off so I just removed enough to give screw hook a solid anchor. This bark is great for the fire too.

Screw hooks set where ever needed makes this so easy.

A couple more set into trees complete the roof. If you look close you can see para cord is also strung between trees to hang clothes to dry by fire that would be set in front of leanto to heat it. You will also notice a pile of fire wood that was made just clearing the ground around site.

To further illustrate how much you may already know as an old trucker I bring this experience to the field with me and one of the best cinch nots is a truckers knot that holds it all together without having to cut paracord so it can be reused later and the whole thing can be pulled down with the yank on one end of the cord.

Another view of camp. This tarp is only 5x7 but in this configuration can be slept under. BTW this is the same size as an Army Poncho. It only took about 10 minutes to set this up and I'm sure I'll get faster as I use these hooks more. If I spent another half hour the sides would be blocked in with brush, a fire reflecter made and leaves piled up for a soft place to sleep.

One further note. The cheap hatchet is made from soft metal that turns out to be an advantage. When I have used knives for chopping wood the blade dulls quickly. The soft metal of this hatchet can be easily sharpened with a rock and used like an Ulu. Click on the picture below to see what I mean.

Send your rep to Sarky. I did!
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 05-25-2011 at 04:24 AM.

That bag kinda looks like my hunting fanny pack....Including the small ax.

I'm liking the screw hook idea.......and as long as we are into belated thank you's...I want to thank you for the unbrella idea.....found one that is supposed to be able to screw to a tree to keep you dry...and although that use is kinda lame....I works super as a ground blind for turkey hunting as well as a heat reflector/wind break.

I took some pic's of looking out from behind blind, but none of it set up, Duh.
    Think it was about $12 buck for a camo one w/tree mounting stuff.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

The price of gold seems to be going through the roof so this week I put together some prospecting gear and hiked up McRoberts creek just to see how it rode before heading back to Metal Creek later this summer. The pack board weighed 19 poinds 7 ounces and was not to bad but I won't be pushing myself hard with this much weight. The shotgun added another 5 1/2 pounds. Its a 20 guage H&R Topper Junior. It's a youth model but the shorter lenght makes it easier to pack. New sabots make it very lethal as well. I retire on the 31st but I don't see myself living on a just my fixed income and the source of the gold has never been found on Metal Creek so I figured I'd check it out.

Most all the time I've spent in the woods I was doing a lot more than just surviving and in fact hardly gave survival a second thought. If you have more reason to be there you may find yourself there more often.
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 05-27-2011 at 12:03 AM.

When I was a kid, our Scoutmaster turned us on to the screw hooks to rig a tarp. They work fine.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759