Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diagnose an infection?

My Experience with a lifelong UTI due to trauma in SEA in 1970.

Go see the Doc, verify infection, take prescribed pills. go back in a week with the same UTI, change pills, go back in a week, send urine to lab, get new pills, when culture come back get new pills to temporary solve the problem.

2-4 months later repeat, Tell Doc What didn't work last time. Repeat anyway. They don't listen to you. THEY ARE THE DOCS. It doesn't matter Civilian, Military, VA same experience

Unfortunately At this time I am drug resistance to a lot of drugs.
    I am in a life long race to see if they can develope new drugs before I become resistence to all of them.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster View Post
    Guys,
    From your posts I would have to figure you never clicked on my "More oil immersion info" link as it reads similar to your responses. Yes it is a toy! You will notice in my first post I stated the it is a *toy*... No I have not tried it with the *toy*... and Yes there is more to it some of which is shown in link. Nice Amscope link, I have been fortunate to use higher end microscopes that where hospital or university property to do such *NOT* simple tasks including spring oil objective, immersion oil, targeted culture mediums and assortment of dyes. I will hesitate with future posts until they are beat down proof and help you guys beat down member posts with what I'm a "GURU" at until we stop the flow of ideas.

Thanks!

oh definitely; i'm a champ at half reading things before replying.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    oh definitely; i'm a champ at half reading things before replying.
    Yeah, Me too

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I have to agree with your assessment, RWC. They most often do give it their best guess. The only difference between their guess and mine is they see those symptoms a dozen times a week and know what the most likely culprit is based on what is currently making the rounds. They only way I'd know that is by hearsay.
    SO this quack at the local ER,instead of running the lab tests that Austins doc sent him there for,used his BEST GUESS,and declared Austins puking episodes (three days worth,with a fever)to be nothing more than air on his stomach,hellava,guess,coulda cost him his life if there had not been another doctor in town with cajones enough (female doc by the way) to call the er up and send him back for the tests that were ordered in the first place.

I personally don't lie their best guess method,it's not what we pay astronomical fees to get,we want real answers,NOT best guesses.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

But that's what you get. It's not just doctors either. Have you ever taken your care to a mechanic and paid for two parts? They guessed wrong on the first one and installed a second. Ever had a repairman make a second trip to your house to fix (fill in the blank)? That's how it works. No matter what we use in our jobs it boils down to someone interpreting the results and making a decision as to whether something else needs to be done or whether solution A will fix it.

It's unfortunate but we're all only human and we sometimes guess wrong. Doctors are no different. The difference is their wrong guess can have some terrible consequences but it's a fact of life.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

You are not going to identify viruses under a light microscope, they are too small.

You are not going to identify bacteria under a microscope without serious training and lots of equipment.

If one were to swab a cut and put it under a microscope they would see many different bacteria most of which are normal skin throat or mouth flora. It is very difficult to identify pathogens unless an abscess is drained, etc.

Further more, after you swab a disease carrying bacteria it has to be grown on different culture plates under a variety of conditions and gram stained to help identify what organism it is. Is it coag - or +, catalse - or +, does it require chocolate auger, is it fermenting or nonfermenting, etc. It takes a hospital lab 2-4 days to do this.

After the organism is ID'd they run sensitivities to see which antibiotics are effective againsit it, this takes 1-2 days too.

The gram stain portion only takes a few minutes but it will only tell you if the organism is gram negative or gram positive.

The best you could probably do at home was teach yourself how to gram stain a slide and possibly tell if the organism was gram positive or gram negative which may give some clues to the pathogen. Gram + organisms are usually staph or strep, occasionally enterococcus for example.

Though sometimes gram + bacteria are ultimately diptheroids or coag negative staph which are not disease causing organisms under most conditions and contaminates. You see the problem.
    Last edited by beetlejuicex3; 09-26-2010 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    SO this quack at the local ER,instead of running the lab tests that Austins doc sent him there for,used his BEST GUESS,and declared Austins puking episodes (three days worth,with a fever)to be nothing more than air on his stomach,hellava,guess,coulda cost him his life if there had not been another doctor in town with cajones enough (female doc by the way) to call the er up and send him back for the tests that were ordered in the first place.

I personally don't lie their best guess method,it's not what we pay astronomical fees to get,we want real answers,NOT best guesses.
    No doubt. Medicine is not what it used to be. You sound like the best type of patient: one who won't settle for a nonsensical diagnosis without proof, or at least agreement with best-practice standards. Gone are the days when you could blindly trust a physician's diagnosis and treatment regime.

http://www.paraknots.com