Thread: Winter Itch

Default Winter Itch

I checked search and came up with nothing. I have horrible winter itch on my legs every year and can't find a thing to keep it under control. Any help would be appreciated. The wife is an avon dealer and her stuff doesn't work, so I was guaranteed Sarna would do the trick, not. I have tried all the ladies secrets and doctors potions. Someone out there must have a solution, thanks.

Blog Entries

I had to Google Winter Itch. I've used Drapolene, a type of babys nappy(diaper?) cream very successfully on all manner of itchy skin conditions. It's the only cream I know of that heals a sore, cracked nose from having a cold, without stinging enough to send you into orbit!
    It's worth having in the house even if it doesn't help.

Drapolene contains:

Benzalkonium chloride solution 0.02% w/w

Equivalent to benzalkonium chloride 0.01% w/w

Cetrimide 0.2% w/w

Edit: A visit to the Doc may also be in order.

Also found this site that may be worth a look

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/32861.php
    Last edited by Winnie; 09-22-2010 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Adding info
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Have you tried Bag Balm or Udder Butter?
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Abe - There isn't anything mch better than Huskers Corn Lotion IMO. A lot of folks swear by Bag Balm, too.

Sorry FM, I was typing when you posted. What he said ^
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Holy Mackeral, I have a can of bag balm and haven't tried it. It didn't even cross my mind, I must be in another world. If it doesn't help I will try Drapoline. I've been so focused on buying maximum strength anything that the little candle in the attic only lit up one corner. lol. Thanks all for your help.

Abe had the same problem with dry skin for years winter was the worse. Someone suggested an oatmeal soap followed up while your skin is still wet with a oatmeal lotion like lotramin makes. seems to work pretty well. As FM and a couple others said bag balm work good as well.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Quote Originally Posted by sjj View Post
    For longer term solution, consider a humidifier during the driest winter months, particulary where you sleep.
    and make sure you drink as much water as you do in the summer months. Even if you dont feel thirsty like you might in the summer, you need the same amount of water. The only times I had dry skin troubles were when I wasnt drinking enough water and when I lived with forced hot air heat.

Try jojoba oil for everyday use. It's the closest thing to the skins natural oils and absorbs pretty well.

I developed an allergy to a massage gel i used at work. It was only where one hand rested on the other so I had one dry scaly finger and basically a thumb print sized scaly patch on the back of my hand. (eewwww I know!!) I tried everything but it's hard to get that to heal up when you have to wash your hands all day.

Anyway, an esthetician told me about a product called Egyptian Magic.
    That stuff is great! My hand is finally starting to heal. She reccommends it to people who have mild exzema and has had great success.

Best price i found is on ebay through ladykingle.
    Proceeds go to charity and free shipping too.
    Last edited by cowgirlup; 09-25-2010 at 07:44 PM.
    "I enjoy surviving." Yes, well I certainly hope so as the other side of that is "DEATH!"
    Sarge47

Quote Originally Posted by abe View Post
    Holy Mackeral, I have a can of bag balm and haven't tried it. It didn't even cross my mind, I must be in another world. If it doesn't help I will try Drapoline. I've been so focused on buying maximum strength anything that the little candle in the attic only lit up one corner. lol. Thanks all for your help.
    Bag Blm works good but it is kind of greasy. Corn Huskers is 99% glycerine and rubs in completely. Nothing will give you baby-butt skin quite like the good 'ol Corn Huskers.

Could be that you are allergic to the pants or socks you wear, or maybe adding a humidifier would help. I try to avoid rubbing chemicals all over me.

I would try to find the cause of the problem and prevent that rather than just putting a band-aid on it.

Abe - I've summarized the findings for you. Go naked from the waist down and carry a humidifier where ever you go. Especially at night. Apply Corn Huskers followed by bag balm followed by Egyptian Magic and rub it in thoroughly unless you can find a masseuse to rub it in for you. Drink as much water as you can hold but set the humidifier down first so you don't electrocute yourself. Finally, stay away from the little candle in the attic. With all that stuff on you you're sure to go up in flames.

If we can be of further assistance, just ask.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Abe - I've summarized the findings for you. Go naked from the waist down and carry a humidifier where ever you go. Especially at night. Apply Corn Huskers followed by bag balm followed by Egyptian Magic and rub it in thoroughly unless you can find a masseuse to rub it in for you. Drink as much water as you can hold but set the humidifier down first so you don't electrocute yourself. Finally, stay away from the little candle in the attic. With all that stuff on you you're sure to go up in flames.

You forgot my "avoid forced hot air furnaces"...I always get jipped!

And for God's sake, avoid forced hot air furnaces!!!

(are you happy now?)

...unless they have humidifiers on them.

Ah oh. Now we have a conundrum.

All I heard was Masseuse. I forgot to add that everytime I touch metal (in my house) in the winter I get zapped. I take it that is dry air and I need a humidifier. I never gave it much thought about my clothing, but my easy chair I spray with static-guard in the winter. Get up out of that thing and sparks fly. I do remember an old gentleman telling me years ago alot of people have similar problems and it was the materials in there house, carpets, couches and such. I'm gonna try all of your ideas especially humidifier and masseuse :-). PS- you should see the look on the womens face while I'm smearing bag balm on my legs, its priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

Probably best to avoid any vinyl or leather furniture too. If you're all lubed up you'll slide right off abd break a leg. Then you'll have dry itchy winter skin under your cast and you'll be worse off than you were.
    "I enjoy surviving." Yes, well I certainly hope so as the other side of that is "DEATH!"
    Sarge47

Oooh, yeah. Good point. That's why she's a survivalist. Either that or it's experience talking. Nah, never mind. I don't want to know.

LOL, Crisco Party.