Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Hunting with a 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Sorry, don't believe it....Not near any kind of proof.....anyone can post a blog on the interweb...all they need is a Ipad or phone.
    You win... I'm out.

That's alright, I don't believe pic's or targets posted either....unless I was at the range and watched.
    I urge you to do some research or run some personal tests some numbers maybe might be fun. I do regularly. i live a live of research self preformed tests and such. Prove me wrong. Do you think your write? Or are you right? I'm curious. Ill learn from anyone as long as they have something to teach

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    Aww man, I stepped up to the live primer decapping challenge and now this. It's springtime and after a winter of feeding on cedar boughs, whitetail ain't going to be worth a darn for eating and scrawny too. LOL. Sorry fellas, just being silly. I don't take too much seriously.
    LOL, yeah well, my wife doesn't let me have any firearms after I lost them all anyway......

Besides stone tipped arrows, spears, atlatl darts will bring down a mammoth... At least around here.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    Aww man, I stepped up to the live primer decapping challenge and now this. It's springtime and after a winter of feeding on cedar boughs, whitetail ain't going to be worth a darn for eating and scrawny too. LOL. Sorry fellas, just being silly. I don't take too much seriously.
    Haha. Your right. I ate a spring rabbit once. Darn thing was literally un edible like eating tire rubber. I was amazed. That's why you gotta shoot a moose in late fall with the old survival 22lr "cause that's all ya had"! hopefully you'd be able to eat that through spring. Not that the meat wouldn't have gone bad by then or it were smoked, then in that case it would be like eating tire rubber anyway haha

LOL, yeah well, my wife doesn't let me have any firearms after I lost them all anyway......

Besides stone tipped arrows, spears, atlatl darts will bring down a mammoth... At least around here.
    You lose them in a boating accident? That's what happened to mine

Yep.....
    It was sad,
    Oh it was sad,
    It was sad, then the canoe full of goodies went down......
    To the bottom of the.....gosh. I forget?

Now I can say that a quart of Blatz, out the side window of a '57 Chevy at 70 mph, will kill a doe deader that snot.
    Sorry, no interweb or pads or phones, so you have to take my word for it.

BTW was serious about the mammoth....
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...40618205000534

https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/kids/mammoth/news.htm
    Last edited by hunter63; 03-29-2014 at 09:50 PM.

I don't believe it. Was the beer in a glass bottle or peel top can? Head shot or body shot? Those head shots work wonders! That's what I like about the 22lr over the 9mm, head shots.

Now I can say that a red Ryder can and has dropped a Canada goose right out of sky with a head shot and mama caught it right in the dang stew pot!

Without pictures it never happened

Glass bottle, head shot......week before season opened, self defense, was gonna wreck the car.
    Still sad about the wasted beer.

Them there Red Ryders were deadly, mostly shot at bumble bees...proper tool for the job.
    Bumble bees can fly faster than a 9 year old can run.

Red Ryder BB gun.....Goose, nope, .... don't believe it, they are armored and only can die for a 3-1/2 load of Hevi-Shot, form a flyover, slightly behind, so as to hit that slight chink in the armor for below and behind.

Cameras were invented...but shutter speeds were like 1.......so a lot of blurred pic's that we couldn't afford to get developed anyway.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by hunter63; 03-29-2014 at 10:35 PM.

Default Hunting with a 9mm

Head shot I say! He tucked his head in chest and dropped right to earth.

Quart of water weights 2.085lbs and ill give you 5 ounces for the bottle at 70 mph that's roughly 190 ft lbs. maybe that deer walked of with a headache and you didn't notice cause you had to keep your eyes on road since you were doing 70 in a 57 Chevy and drinking. Good thing there's the statue of limitations. Speeding, drinking and poaching would be good for a DUI, speeding ticket and loss of hunting license by self written admission.

It was self defense,.... I swear,........ wasn't driving, riding shot gun.......
    The thing is...... they hadn't invented DUI yet,..... speed limits were a dare, as in "I dare you to take that corner at 45"....and we didn't have a license...and it was at night.
    Foot pounds or no.....did drop her on the spot....had to bring her back and hang in the barn after cleaning.
    The beer was a fluke thing, as the preferred deer harvesting tool of the day was a 1958 Dodge 4X4 Power wagon, that could extend the road kill zone a 100 yards or so on either side of the road.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Best coon hunting was my buddys 70 something Chevy and a case of Bud, Went through a lot of exhaust systems though. But that V8 made them suckers run, The coon dog in the back seat thought it was great sport. Boy gravel roads aint what they used to be.

we had a old truck with a crossover box. The hounds would place their front paws on this box and stick their nose in the air and sniff. We would drive slow down the two tracks (dirt road, sod center). The hounds would let out a beller and off we would go following hounds through the woods.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

It was self defense,.... I swear,........ wasn't driving, riding shot gun.......
    The thing is...... they hadn't invented DUI yet,..... speed limits were a dare, as in "I dare you to take that corner at 45"....and we didn't have a license...and it was at night.
    Foot pounds or no.....did drop her on the spot....had to bring her back and hang in the barn after cleaning.
    The beer was a fluke thing, as the preferred deer harvesting tool of the day was a 1958 Dodge 4X4 Power wagon, that could extend the road kill zone a 100 yards or so on either side of the road.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Good old days

uh, it's perfectly feasible to rehydrate jerky, guy. So you have to let it soak, spice it, boil/stew it with some greens/tubers, fish, etc, so what? Such conditions are what stews, soups, meat loaf and similar foods were developed to handle, you know.

I rehydrate jerky when making lunches in a thermos bottle. Usually mix in some jerky with rice or lentils.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

yep, it's certainly no big deal, and it helps both the "chewability" of the jerky, and the taste of whatever tubers, inner bark, etc you are eating. :-)

As to the hunting with a 9mm pistol, many used to hunt with the old 25-20, which was 87 grs at 1450 fps, from a RIFLE. It was no deer gun, but many made it suffice, in a pinch. same is true of the 9mm. The 90 gr and 100gr Plus P loads from Corbon get the same or higher speeds, from 5" pistol barrels.

I have a 9mm carbine made by Hi-Point. The thing is blowback operated instead of gas and will eat +p rounds for breakfast lunch and dinner. A one inch group at 100 yards is very common place with reloaded hollow points.
    I wouldn't be afraid to take that out on a wild pig hunt here in Florida. In fact I plan on doing that this summer.