Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hunting with a 9mm

Looks like y'all arn't gonna let this go, so I guess I just have to chime in.

If all you have is a 9mm, then I guess it's a no-brain-er, "dance with who ya brung". IMO that's fine.

If your looking to get double duty out of a round, IMO, marginal, but still sorta OK.

If your looking to "buy one" most all configuration of hand gun, carbine, long gun comes in several calibers, so pick the round for the use intended.

Lots of people don't like recoil, so tend to like smaller calibers, less noise, less punishment.

That still doesn't address the state laws as far as legal, or not for certain game, some people don't care, but the reason for these laws is simply the minium correct tool for the job.

I don't hunt any game, "just to" see if I can hit it at 700yds, or kill a big animal with a mimium round, I have too much respect for all wildlife.
    The proper tool for the job.
    I don't really agree with the "hey, I have killed _________with a .22, thats all you need" line of thinking.

There, I'm done, carry on.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Depends a lot upon barrel length. Put that 444 in a 4" barrel, and see what you get. Fire the 9mm in a 12" barrel, and load it for top performance in that length, and it will rifle the 22 hornet (in a similar length barrel). Some very experienced men picked the 22 Hornet for the AirForce survival rifle, back in the day. You can get a 90 gr jhp to 1700 fps in a 12" barreled 9mm, no problem at all. That's 6" barreled 357 performance, and Colonel Wesson took grizzly and elk with an 8" 357.

in a carbine, the 357 is a LOT more powerful than the 9mm carbine. The longer case lets you use a lot more powder, and the longer barrel lets you get more performance out of that powder.

It can be done but only with "surgical" shot placement at very short range. I have taken two deer with "combat pistol" rounds with no problem but it must be done with utmost care and precision. The rounds have the energy to kill but as stated, it must be done perfectly to bring a deer down reliably AND recover it. Most combat pistol cartriages (9mm, 40, 45 acp) will generate around 370 to about 500 foot lbs of energy at the muzzle. Legalities aside, that is enough energy to take a deer at short range IMO. One was with a S&W 4006 at about 20 yards loaded with .40 S&W 165 gr Rem Golden Saber Bonded while I was bow hunting cull deer. I dropped my string release a couple minutes prior to this 120 lb doe walking out on me. She went down with 20-30 yards. The other was also a smallish doe about the same size or smaller that I jumped while squirell hunting. I used a Sig 226 9mm using 124 gr +P+ loaded with Hornady ammo at about the same yardage with very similar results. Both were high heart/double lungers with complete pass through. Massive blood trails resulted. Some say that auto's lack the accuracy to hunt medium sized game but I beg to differ. A good stock S&W, Colt, or Ruger revolver with loads they like will print in the neighborhood of 2" groups at 25 yards. Sigs, H&K USP's, and many semi custom 1911's will do the SAME or sometimes better. And that is REPEATABLE accuracy, not just fluke groups. Glocks, Beretta 92's, CZ 75, and S&W autos will do about 3" or so. Here is the riddle without an answer: An auto that prints 2 1/2" groups at 25 yards will logically print 5" groups at 50 yards, right? No. Not through my experience. For reasons only known to the gun powder Gods, that same pistol that prints 2 1/2" at 25 yards will be more likely to print 4-5" groups at 50 yards. Don't ask me why. I have never figured it out. That's plenty small enough groups to put your rounds in a deer's vitals at 30 yards and closer. Much past 30 yards and the energy drops off too rapidly from a pistol IMO. Contrary to popular belief, deer are NOT particularly hard to put down. Is taking a deer with a combat pistol ethical? Well that's up to you to decide. Legal? Probably not, depending on your State Statutes. Can it be done reliably? Yep, You betcha.

So. yall think a normal charge 9 mil too big for small game? Would be nice to improve my shot and get dinner at the same time.

birddseedd, Welcome to the forum.
    There is an intro section at http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...hp?23795-Hello

As far as the 9mm discussion, I guess it just kinda "Dance with who ya brung......"
    Would I use one for small game, or even big game....if that's all I have, yes...If I have other choices?...No.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I would compare hunting hogs with a 9mm to hunting grizzley bears with a hickory switch!

Just Hangin' Out...

Many use dogs and a knife for hog... most pistols will do the job ay knife range, but no need to burn the ammo.
    "I don't know anything, and I can prove it just by opening my mouth...

I love the idea that "Two is one, and one is none." until I try to carry twice as much!

To add a little ballistics to the thread. When dispatching an 11 ft. alligator at point blank. The .45 acp had a slightly larger entry hole than the .44 magnum. Neither round exited.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    To add a little ballistics to the thread. When dispatching an 11 ft. alligator at point blank. The .45 acp had a slightly larger entry hole than the .44 magnum. Neither round exited.
    But the gator was deader that got shot with the .44

I only use LAPUA CEP . The stopping power is enough IF the bullet is well placed.

9mm would be an emergency caliber. Maybe small game, rabbits n cuch, but the sights on the 9mm would be a bit coarse for that kind of shooting. All around the 9mm is not an ideal hunting cartridge, even in a carbine. Go with a 357 or a 44, but the 9mm is meant to hurt people. Animals have denser muscle.

I really don;t like the 9mm for anything but a hideout gun. If it doesn;t start with a 4 then it better end in magnum.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 01-20-2014 at 08:50 PM. Reason: keeping it pg13

I have a Ruger Single six, 7 1/2" barrel with a .22 mag cylinder and a .22 long cylinder, and I would bet any amount of money that I could take more game with that little .22 than any kind of 9mm you want to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    I would compare hunting hogs with a 9mm to hunting grizzley bears with a hickory switch!
    I tried to "Add reputation" to your post; BUT, it won't let me! Apparently, I'm not allowed to like your posts too much. I got a message back saying I need to spread the love, instead of adding to your rep, again.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. This is my OTHER way of saying I like your post!

Quote Originally Posted by tjwilhelm View Post
    I tried to "Add reputation" to your post; BUT, it won't let me! Apparently, I'm not allowed to like your posts too much. I got a message back saying I need to spread the love, instead of adding to your rep, again.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. This is my OTHER way of saying I like your post!
    Thanks my friend. Maybe I have so much rep, I can't get anymore!

Maybe.....

"Dreams are often most profound when they seem the most crazy" - Sigmund Freud.

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    I have a Ruger Single six, 7 1/2" barrel with a .22 mag cylinder and a .22 long cylinder, and I would bet any amount of money that I could take more game with that little .22 than any kind of 9mm you want to use.
    I would not bet against you. A good 22 can be used to consistently shoot the brass on a shotgun shell at 7-15 yards.

I wouldn't use a 9 unless emergency survival, then on rabbits and such, not on deer at all. Again unless I was starving to death and that's all I had, but I don't own a 9 at all so wouldn't have to worry about it I guess.

I agree with Hunter saying dance with who you brung.

I have killed gators and one rabbit with a 9mm. I have also had a .44 magnum ricochet off of a hogs skull.

Having one gun to me is like having one of any all-in-one tool. It might work in a pinch. but, it isn't going to do the job as well as a purpose built tool.

Most people would chose a 9mm as a personal defense weapon because it is concealable and has a high round capacity. I carry a Sig P226 in 9mm with a plus 2 mag and that gives me 21 rounds of 9mm in the gun. In a life or death situation misses happen. You are better off moving than standing still and shooting and so accuracy is sacrificed for getting off the X. In coming bullets have the right of way.

I wouldn't choose the 9mm to hunt anything with. I hunt with long guns. If I were hunting with a handgun it would have longer barrel than something you would chose to carry daily.

When you hunt hogs with dogs you have catch dogs that get a hold of the hog. They have the business end occupied while you come in and throw the hog down and use a long knife to kill the hog. Most use a knife with a blade around 12" and some up to 15". A lot of hunters will use a double edged knife so they can stab easier and swish the blade around to cause greater bleeding and a swifter death. Not the kind of knife you would choose for daily carry in town or for general bushcraft. You won't find anyone who has hunted hog with a knife recommending a a folder.

I have heard stories of people taking close quartering towards shots with all sorts of weapons and had them not penetrate the shield. bows, buck shot and hang gun rounds.

So, in short bring something you would want to dance that dance with or you just might find yourself dancing with a mean old pig!

Ive seen a 5" 22mag kill 1800 pound steers with no problem, But that was at about 15' in a controlled situation, drop hogs without a squeal , But that's not hunting scenario. A 9mm is a human defense weapon and not the best there is for that. IMHO People die easy compared to a wild animal. Be ethical anytime you shoot an animal, use the right weapon a 9mm isn't it. This is why most agency's have changed from them, Its a ok round if you are comfortable with it, It probably wont over penetrate and anybody can handle the recoil from women to older people even kids. That's why they carry 16 rounds and everybody does the double tap. You might not have time to put 16 rounds in a 350# boar that just busted out of the brush at 15'
    I would want more on my side
    Last edited by Greyghost; 03-28-2014 at 08:30 PM.