Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting with a 9mm

I also have a Contender with a couple barrels. The one I am itching to take game with this year is the the unported 10" .444 Marlin barrel. It's a rush every time you pull the trigger, especially with heavy loads.

Over Taxed Under Paid Swamprat1958's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    It's like a fat girl wearing spandex.(Or Rick wearing a thong.) Yeah, you could do it.....but that doesn't mean that it's a good idea. LOL
    I never thought that I would agree with 2dumb on anything , but I agree with him on this (especially the mental image of Rick in a thong). In a survival situation maybe, but never when there are other options.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat1958 View Post
    I never thought that I would agree with 2dumb on anything , but I agree with him on this (especially the mental image of Rick in a thong). In a survival situation maybe, but never when there are other options.
    Gee whiz - what are you planning on doing with him?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'm tellin' ya. you gotta watch those southern boys. They got some weird ideas. Is that banjo music?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Rick in a thong is population control. Make him the point--- people would jump off bridges out of windows in a highrise building to get away..

I can envision it now. Send Rick into a building wearing a thong. No damage done to the building, food left on plates, beer left in the frige, pantries left stocked Just no people.

Sorta like a stealth weapon. with just a visual impact.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Quote Originally Posted by klickitat View Post
    I also have a Contender with a couple barrels. The one I am itching to take game with this year is the the unported 10" .444 Marlin barrel. It's a rush every time you pull the trigger, especially with heavy loads.
    I would bet that that is a good example on a "who/what gets up first, you or who/what you shot at," round.
    Not a "stop sign gun".
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I would bet that that is a good example on a "who/what gets up first, you or who/what you shot at," round.
    Not a "stop sign gun".
    It's got some wallup but, I don't have any problems with it. I've got a few gun buddies though that are afraid of it.

It's got some wallup but, I don't have any problems with it. I've got a few gun buddies though that are afraid of it.
    I'd be more than happy to give it a go.

I'd also love to try one of those new X-frame S&Ws - preferably the .460...

I've got the BIG ONE!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

45/70 loaded to full case capacity and 575 grain Piledrivers!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    I've got the BIG ONE!45/70 loaded to full case capacity and 575 grain Piledrivers!
    That makes my wrist hurt just looking at it!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Gee whiz - what are you planning on doing with him?
    I don't plan to do anything with him and I don't even want to think of Rick like that ever again!!!

AS, what make is that scope on your Contender?

I've got the BIG ONE!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

45/70 loaded to full case capacity and 575 grain Piledrivers!

Well, I gotta tell ya, I have a 45/70 barrel for the Handi Rifle, and that isn't too bad for a light gun, BUT....I like it!

Gotta love those Contenders, kinda pricey for me, probably looking at $1200 bucks here, at least.

AS, what make is that scope on your Contender?
    The Encore is the big brother to the Contender. The scope is a Burris and that Encore it is on is a 270 Winchester. The more I shoot these guns the more I like them. I got good enough with the 45/70 I gave my Marlin Guide gun to a friend. The 410 barrel is the only shotgun I have. I have a ways to go before the 270 replaces my 270 rifle (it shoots 1/2 inch groups) but I can consistently hit the gong at 300 meters at the Birch wood range with the Encore. The gun is much more accurate than I am!

............................... The gun is much more accurate than I am!
    LOL, I hear ya, most guns are more accurate that I am.

The Encore is the big brother to the Contender. The scope is a Burris and that Encore it is on is a 270 Winchester. The more I shoot these guns the more I like them. I got good enough with the 45/70 I gave my Marlin Guide gun to a friend. The 410 barrel is the only shotgun I have. I have a ways to go before the 270 replaces my 270 rifle (it shoots 1/2 inch groups) but I can consistently hit the gong at 300 meters at the Birch wood range with the Encore. The gun is much more accurate than I am!
    Tell me more about the .270 in that barrel. How much are you loosing? Are you cooking your game when you shoot it? I have both the .444 and .223 that were a birthday gift from my wife this year. I wanted the .223 for hunting predators. What game have you taken with both those barrels?

QUOTE=klickitat;250751]Tell me more about the .270 in that barrel. How much are you loosing? Are you cooking your game when you shoot it? I have both the .444 and .223 that were a birthday gift from my wife this year. I wanted the .223 for hunting predators. What game have you taken with both those barrels?[/QUOTE]

The Encore as not been used as much as it could have been because it has competition from my two main guns that I use almost exclusively. The 270 barrel has not taken any game because I go hunting with my M-77 that is stainless with a synthetic stock and I shoot much better. That may change as I get better with it. I did harvest a Caribou with 45/70. It was not a preconcieved choice but I was carrying it for defensive purposes and the opportunity presented itself. My Ruger Super Redhawk 44, 9 1/2 inch barrel is still my main firearm for defensive use because of quik follow up shot and stainless fares much better in my climate. I have gotten confident with 45/70 and am using it more and more. Now the 410 barrel I use the hell out of! I have just traded off my last 22 rifle and got ride of my other shotguns long ago. Walking the trail into my claim I always arrived with either grouse, spruce hens or ptarmigan. I also use single six for hunting small game.

greenbeetle, forgive the intrusion of a newbie sharing some thoughts.
    I like the 9mm, too, carried one for some years, until the .40 came out. But ballistically it is about a .38+P at best. That's not enough for reliable use on large deer-size animals. It would be OK for coyotes, javelina, rabbits and similar size animals.
    As for the .40 S&W, it's better. I have not used it for big game, but have killed javelina with it, shot one through and through end to end. I would think it would do for deer out to 50 yards with a heavy soft-nose bullet, not a hollow point. I like penetration over expansion, and most bullets will expand on the heavy shoulder and rib bones.
    Generally, a .357 mag is the smallest I like to hunt with. I've killed mule deer out to 125 yards with my 4" S&W or Ruger, with 158 or 180 gr softnose bullets.
    Check your state's game laws for what is the legal minimum for big game and other hunting in your area. Most states specify some combination of calibre and velocity as minimum allowed in their handgun hunting regs.
    Wherefore, let us be thankful that there are still thousands of cool, green nooks beside crystal springs, where the weary soul may hide for a time, away from debts, duns and deviltries, and a while commune with nature in her undress. ~ George W. “Nessmuk” Sears ~

Worst case scenerio man kx250kev's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by greenbeetle View Post
    The 9mm is my favorite handgun caliber to shoot.

I've read some blogs around the net about hunting with the 9mm (handgun) and think it sounds interesting. But scary. One of the posts was a gentlemen hunting Javelina.

I bought some doubletap 147 grain +P that cooks along at 1150 ft/sec while toying with the idea.

Thoughts?
    I'd have no problems hunting with a 9mm carbine. Its balistics are similar to a .357 with a 16" barrel.
    Last edited by kx250kev; 10-21-2010 at 09:19 PM.
    Thank you Mark Levin and Andrew Wilkow for being our voices www.marklevinshow.com

Quote Originally Posted by kx250kev View Post
    I'd have no problems hunting with a 9mm carbine. Its balistics are similar to a .357 with a 16" barrel.
    I'm not sure what you are saying here. Do you mean that:

1. A 9mm carbine [which basically means a rifle with a 16-18" or so barrel] is balllistically similar to a .357 Magnum, also with a 16" barrel - making it also a carbine?
    2. A 9mm carbine with a 16" barrel has similar ballistics to a .357 Mag [presumably with a 4-6" barrel]?

If #1 is what you meant then, there is no way. The .357 isn't going to lose its ballistic superiority to the 9mm when you increase both barrel lengths.

If what you meant was #2, then I think it might be possible; though I would want to do some more in depth research to be sure. The comparison would certainly depend heavily on bullet weights and power charges.