Thread: Books

Question Books

What are some good books to read on tracking ? I know that it takes more than reading books to learn to track but I like to read & learn all that I can.
    You mind is your key !
    It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze !

I don't track but here's Amazon's top 25 list:

http://www.amazon.com/The-top-25-tra.../3GORLXZJA9M52
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks 'Ol Bud
    It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze !

Try Tom Browns series it's awesome reading He has books and stuff He even runs a school. look it up

Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Tom View Post
    What are some good books to read on tracking ? I know that it takes more than reading books to learn to track but I like to read & learn all that I can.
    You mind is your key !
    I can recomend Tom Brown's book "the science and art of tracking" but you need to know the basics and have a little experience to start with. If you are totally new to tracking it can be a little intimidating and frustrating. The tracking box will teach you a lot. Personally I prefer a longer box.

If you are new to tracking first learn to identify tracks. Later you can move on to interpreting them. any book that shows you pics of tracks and gives a brief description of the animal is a good place to start. Hope this helps.
    Walk softly upon the earth!

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would go with Tom Brown's book "The science and art of Tracking" .

Additions: Tom Brown's "Nature observation and Tracking" and Peterson's field guide to "Animal Tracks" (very detailed sketches).
    Last edited by pgvoutdoors; 01-01-2008 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Additions

Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Tom View Post
    You mind is your key !
    Here's one.. it's a start. Tom Browns field guide 'Wilderness Survival'.

Default Ray Mears Survival Handbook.

I got the "Ray Mears' Outdoor Survival Handbook" it covers some tracking, well, it covers pretty much every aspect of survival or "bushcraft". Its a great book. It goes through the four seasons and how to find Food, shelter and warmth in all of them. Its a good book indeed

I hadn't heard of this book before, thanks for the tip! The reviews of the book I read mentioned that Mears had a show on the BBC. Has anybody seen it?

Default imho ray beats them all

ray mears beats all other shows hands down i've seen all his shows taped all of them. extreme survival is good but i like his bushcraft series the best.

I liked his Wild Food one, alot of plants he featured i learned where edible off that show
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.