Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Case for Camo

OK, chiming in now. One of the first rules of evasion is to blend into your enviroment. If you are in the woods, that means camo. If you are in the city, that means looking like everyone else (ie. don't stand out). Modern camo is much better than the old stuff. As a SERE instructor and while working the field force (green side), I invested in ASAT camo. It was the new bestest stuff out there at the time and it worked quite well. Especially coupled with natural additions. All and all the best field camo out there is still the tried and true Gillie suit. It breaks up your silouette and because you are adding pieces of the flora around you, you more easily blend into your enviroment.
    I know what hunts you.

I love camo, I wear something camo most days after work and on weekends.
    Not because I want to look a certain way but because after all this time in and out of the military it is just comfortable.

I did my first vehicle camo job. I think it looks like the rigs I truck out to the base.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I missed a few spots and ran out of paint. One more can should do it.

Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 10-07-2010 at 12:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    There are certainly many environments in which camo provides a definite benefit. It can also have the ability to keep folks at a distance under the right condition. For example, I don't want anywhere near this guy.

All right Rick. Who's the smart *** that took my picture?
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

A little camo goes a long way.

Alaskan Survivalist, what is that vehicle?

It's called a Coot. It came out in the mid 60's. It has an articulated middle. If that weren't bad enough...he has 2 of them!! That's just wrong. He should give me one. OR.....I should be in as good of shape as those are. Either way.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

what's left of waveland mississippi after Katrina

i gotta tell ya...that AS guy seems to really have it together...way cool...my hat's off to you sir...

God Bless

Lee
    shoot low boys, they're ridin' shetland ponies

Quote Originally Posted by shooter_250 View Post
    i gotta tell ya...that AS guy seems to really have it together...way cool...my hat's off to you sir...

God Bless

Lee
    Thanks, but you know to people that know me better think it's a mental disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    A little camo goes a long way.
    Oh, you're talking about the thumbnail. I thought you meant the guy pushing the shopping cart.
    A little camo may go a long way, but it don't go far enough in that case.
    Wherefore, let us be thankful that there are still thousands of cool, green nooks beside crystal springs, where the weary soul may hide for a time, away from debts, duns and deviltries, and a while commune with nature in her undress. ~ George W. “Nessmuk” Sears ~

AS...in my lifetime,,,i've never met anyone who, at some point could'nt be described as as having a "mental disorder"...

i do have a question pertaining to your cammo patterns...what happens when it snows?

LOL..just picking

God Bless

Lee

Lee, you big silly. You camo the snow. Sheesh.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Dang...i coulda had a V8...i fergot all about cammoing snow...how could i fergit sompthin lak dat,,,dagnabit,,,worse thing abou gittin old is gittin old...now where di i put that can of snow cammo...

S250, I don't think AS really cares about the snow, or if everything is the proper camo or not, just icing......Pun.

He could have everything in blaze orange or purple, and still be the kind of guy, no one would mess with, but would have your back.

Just shows you where a life time of mind set, life style, learning, wondering "what if???", doing, and ambition will get you.

As, The Coot, cool vehicle, can't say I have ever seen one, but did see an old VW "Thing" yesterday, good shape...........

http://www.google.com/images?rlz=1T4...w=1243&bih=560

I had really lusted after one as a younger man........Oh, well.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by shooter_250 View Post

i do have a question pertaining to your cammo patterns...what happens when it snows?
    I'm trying to copy what Army does with thier rigs. In winter they add some white areas to the pattern.

I have a set of over whites.

Wool hat/facemask blurs at distance and over whites for arctic mits.

I have a german pattern I like that is in a throw over poncho like thing. I like the pattern but the not the rest of it. It was too hard to get into and left too much of the clothes under it exposed. I am cutting it up to cover a hood that will be caped and some gators.

If not moving I bury myself in snow. I'm under this snow, warm and toasty.

The ability to lay in the snow keeps me low to the ground and I don't have to bother with camping gear. My clothing serves as my shelter. Over half a century spent working outdoors in Alaska has given me the ability to take the cold like few can and I plan to take full advantage of this ability. My wife is Eskimo and can do the same.

Not to mention 20 hours of darkness around here and further north the sun goes down for 6 months.
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 10-09-2010 at 11:50 AM.

no no no AS...i meant about the "coots",,,,LOL...you make a cool snow man...

have you got or made a white out ghillie yet...?...be a good thing to have laying around...

Innuit?

seen that face before...post office maybe???...

Lee

Might survive, might not Brazito's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    Record rain all summer and record warm in sept, Weird weather and has been getting stranger each year. Too many lies out there to know what's going on all I know something is not right.

Camo is all too often rejected by people because it is associated with more radical elements of the gun culture but it could be used to avoid gun battles as well. I've heard even some hunters reject it as well and I would like to make a point about animals. If they have big ears thier earing is better and if they have big eyes thier sight is better. Birds have big eyes and every bird is edible. Rice stored in plastic soda bottle and boulion cubes make any bird a good meal and can sustain you a long time.
    Around these parts camo is a fashion statement.
    I was so depressed last night thinking about the economy, wars, jobs, my savings, Social Security, retirement funds, etc., I called the Suicide Hotline.

I got a call center in Pakistan, and when I told them I was suicidal, they got all excited, and asked if I could drive a truck.