Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sons and/or daughters that have no interest in hunting or the outdoors

tsitenha - The Chinese have a saying, "if you have a problem with another man look inside yourself for the answer."

The first step is yours. Accept him for who he is and be proud that he has chosen his own road. It doesn't mean that he will never chose the same path but for this time in his life his road is different. You can dislike what he does but love who he is unconditionally. You obviously raised him to be an independent soul capable of taking care of himself and, apparently, he is.

The next time you are with him give him a hug and tell him you love and respect him. I'll bet you find an entirely different relationship and one that you both can learn from.

If you are still concerned that your ways will be lost in him then write them down. It will be something all your future children will cherish as well. And who knows, some day he may pick up that book and start to learn from you whether you are here or not.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Kyrat - I am truly sorry that your life took that turn. There must be an unquenchable pain there. As I said above, a parent does not have to like what their child does but they should be able to differentiate between the act and the person and love them for who they are.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Kyrat - I am truly sorry that your life took that turn. There must be an unquenchable pain there. As I said above, a parent does not have to like what their child does but they should be able to differentiate between the act and the person and love them for who they are.
    Not anything anyone can do about the past.

I just hate to see anyone else going through this kind of thing. If you can do something about it do so. If there is nothing that can be achieved with one do what you can for the rest and stay open to reconsiliation.

We are all wounded in some way. sometimes is shows more in some than in others.

If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Banned

A persons personality is well,,,,,, Personal,

My feelings exactly and worded just about the way I say it. I say we all have crosses to bear. Some are just more visible than others.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...ya think?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    A persons personality is well,,,,,, Personal,
    That's profound! I just got to quote you!

Kyrat: I have an interest in performing magic that I've had ever since I was 11 years old. Today I perform for $$$. I've offered to teach both my son & my grandson but neither one is interested. I would love to be able to share my knowledge, contacts, etc., but no go. (Shrugging.) Oh well, both have other interests that they do very well with. They are not me, they are themselves, whatever that may be. & if they give me any crap I'll make 'em disappear!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

My dad was quite knowledgable about the outdoors and instilled that in me at a very young age, so were my uncles. But, they would rather have me get a white collar office job and forget the lost skills and hands on stuff. I chose both!

Nobody forced me into loving the outdoors or going to college, etc.etc.

Every man and woman have to live their life the way they see fit and that's the bottom line. Any that don't are living in vain.

My son was interested in hunting, now not so much. My daughter never has been. Both are interested in the outdoors though. Son is in Boy Scouts, and will have his Eagle next year. Daughter is out hiking with me every chance she gets. Sometimes she comes hunting with me, but she is pretty much a vegetarian, so I normally won't shoot something when she is with me. She sure has a good set of eyes and some tracking skills though.

Neither has turned out like me, but they are their own people. I can be somewhat disappointed, but there will eventually be Grandkids for me to hang around with. I can have some hope for them.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

I remember being thick headed, Dad kept trying to teach sellable skills, work ethic etc. Kept mentioning Dale Carnegie, who wrote the book "How to win freinds and irritate everyone" Now I am a salesman, the kid has grown up - played the damn videogames, cant work under the hood, no life skills, won't fish, won't trap, won't hike or camp...

can't keep a job. - HaHEHEHE sucks to be them.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Well, all I can say, is it's better to have a child around to be disappointed in, than not.

They are yours, cherish them, love them, support them, enjoy them....the only disappointment is of your own making.

It's a good thing everyone doesn't think the same, can you imagine how crowded it would be out there is everyone thinks the same?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

That's a good post, Hunter. I'm sure there were areas in my life that dad just shook his head about. Probably his dad wondered about him, too. I think it's universal. They can be a real pain in the pocketbook sometimes but still like having them around. I'm gonna need someone to change my diapers one of these days.

Having been a kid once, and not having one of my own allows for a little distance and perhaps objectivity in the matter.
    I think it's important to prioritize those qualities that are most important in a human being, kid or parent. Are they decent, caring, hard-working, respectful and responsible? If they are, consider yourself lucky and proud.
    Even though we like to share our interests with loved ones regardless of whether we hunt, play sports, love music or make knives, the important thing is to respect each other's choices and let your love be that which you have most in common.

Hunter & Rick I was wondering how that post would be recieved. Honest you try your best to bring them up right... You need to be tough and approchable, You steer gently and the boy avoids drugs, alchohol, STD's etc.. only to take a vow or poverty, elope and move several states away. I never saw it coming. Puts a different experience on the term servival.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tsitenha View Post
    I guess I am thick headed and dense, i just realised my son really has no interest in the outdoors, hunting, fishing, shooting....whatever

I have done my best to entice him to learn but to no avail.

Frankly I am disapointed, disallusioned, and bewildered about this turn of events.

My life time of preparedness down the drain I feel.

Just ranting I guess, anyone else so distraugh?

Just send him up to live with me......"No hunt.....No EAT".

Some mature up later than others. We can't be responsible for our kids choices in life. I figure they have the right to live their life any way they choose. I certainly claimed the right for me. My motto is Hate the Act, Love the Child. If they do something wrong you don't have to like what they did but you should always love them unconditionally.

"You can lead a horse to water- but you can't make him drink"....

I believe our jobs as parents are to teach our children the skills, and lessons we think they'll need to survive. So, to me (and you obviously) this means instilling a love for nature, animals, hunting & fishing, etc...

If you've exposed them to these things you feel are important- you've done your part. What they do with their lives is their option. Its their lives to lead- not yours... Love them for who they are. But, I bet eventually they'll come around and appreciate the things you've shared with them. Nature is like that....it creeps up on you.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Quote Originally Posted by tsitenha View Post
    I guess I am thick headed and dense, i just realised my son really has no interest in the outdoors, hunting, fishing, shooting....whatever

I have done my best to entice him to learn but to no avail.

Frankly I am disapointed, disallusioned, and bewildered about this turn of events.

My life time of preparedness down the drain I feel.

Just ranting I guess, anyone else so distraugh?
    I wasn't going to bring this up,(well I supposed I kinda did), but I think it's important to put things intro perspective.

I lost my 19 year old son to cancer in 1988.
    He had been a good/great kid, hunting with me, camping with his buddies even in winter, New Years eve.....first sign of trouble was a numbness in his legs while loading firewood (mine) for a camping trip.

Had spent time in the junior National Guard, or what ever you call it, and National Guard. They confirmed a problem before basic training, so was given
    a medical discharge.

Nine months, and 10 days after graduating High school, he passed.

I miss him everyday, talk to him still,(he will turn up in my stories, from time to time) but I had 19 great years with him, and am very thankful for that, wonder to this day how he would have turned out.

I do wonder how it is for all those that have lost their children to military service,(knock on the door...we sorry to inform you) dumb accidents, and yes, even self destructing habits/bad choices.

I/we are at peace with this (as best as we can) as we DW and I did our level best to raise Todd and my daughter, the best way we knew how

I just stating this because your lament is almost universal, they are their own people, do the best you can with them, love them....and be thankful for them.
    Things can change in an instant..........

I guess I just bothers me when I hear about someone disappointment in their children......You still have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I wasn't going to bring this up,(well I supposed I kinda did), but I think it's important to put things intro perspective.

I lost my 19 year old son to cancer in 1988.
    He had been a good/great kid, hunting with me, camping with his buddies even in winter, New Years eve.....first sign of trouble was a numbness in his legs while loading firewood (mine) for a camping trip.

Had spent time in the junior National Guard, or what ever you call it, and National Guard. They confirmed a problem before basic training, so was given
    a medical discharge.

Nine months, and 10 days after graduating High school, he passed.

I miss him everyday, talk to him still,(he will turn up in my stories, from time to time) but I had 19 great years with him, and am very thankful for that, wonder to this day how he would have turned out.

I do wonder how it is for all those that have lost their children to military service,(knock on the door...we sorry to inform you) dumb accidents, and yes, even self destructing habits/bad choices.

I/we are at peace with this (as best as we can) as we DW and I did our level best to raise Todd and my daughter, the best way we knew how

I just stating this because your lament is almost universal, they are their own people, do the best you can with them, love them....and be thankful for them.
    Things can change in an instant..........

I guess I just bothers me when I hear about someone disappointment in their children......You still have a chance.

I know what you mean. I lost my second wife and both my girls to a drunk on the road. My oldest was two and my baby was seven months. I spent less than six months total with them ( on deployments then ) I wonder who they would be today. I am sorry for your loss.
    -Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I know what you mean. I lost my second wife and both my girls to a drunk on the road. My oldest was two and my baby was seven months. I spent less than six months total with them ( on deployments then ) I wonder who they would be today. I am sorry for your loss.
    -Sam
    I sorry for yours, as well.
    I'm sure a lot of us have suffered terrible losses, we can't change that, but maybe relating these will be of help to those that have been spared, so far.

Man, you guys broke my heart. I'm sorry for the incredible depth of pain you must have felt and still deal with. No parent should outlive a child.