Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rose Hips

Blog Entries

BTW they make the best syrup! Rosehip syrup, diluted into hot water hits the spot when you're feeling under the weather, a spoonful has oodles of vitamin C and I use it as a pouring sauce for pancakes and icecream!
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes, you need to cut them in half and scape out the seeds, and that takes a bit of time, but it's not that hard.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Are all rose hips edible?

The ones you can eat are.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Okay, I was being a smart arse. Yes, both rose hips and rose petals are edible. I'm not aware of any rose that you can't consume. Pick the hips after the first frost. The frost will sweeten the hips and cutting the hip before frost will encourage new growth that will be killed when it does frost.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Winnie, that's most likely correct. Looks like a Rosa Rugosa.
    The flowers have only 5 petals, and are about 2" across, right?
    Once you get those things growing in a place, it's hard to kill them. But they grow good meaty rose hips. They grow all over Cape Cod, especially where I plan to go fishing. And they should be ripe. Hopefully not gone by.

I trudged out to check out my roses and low and behold they are starting to turn color. This is actually the first year they have done that (if they actually turn). The last couple of years, since they were planted, the hips have stayed green and they tasted like crap. This might prove interesting. Thanks for starting the thread!!

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thank You for the rose identification. This year was a really good year for hose hips. I'm going to look into getting a few more of this type. It produces the biggest and best tasting rose hips out of any of the roses around here.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Thanks Rick, we have some big hybrid rose hips, but the wild florabunda rose hips are small but taste sweet when red

Quote Originally Posted by koldriana View Post
    Back when I lived in Alberta we used to pick rosehips for tea. It's not bad with alot of honey!

Rosehips actually have more vitamin C than oranges and have TONS of medicinal uses and benefits too. You should take the seeds out before you eat them though because they can possibly cause cyanide poisoning if you eat too many (like apple seeds)

I agree,
    I usually pick them when I see them, after first frost, dry them, crumble, kinda brush out most of seed.
    To make tea, mix with camomile, in a tea ball, sweeten with honey.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27