Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: won't be around much

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Talking

I was wondering, who's job did you get?

Late starts are usualy due to unexpected enrollment, a husband being transferred or a new teacher walking off the job.

The last is always a good story. I have seen teachers show up for first day, work till their break period, leave and never come back. Had several never show up for day two. Had one girl freak after a week, trash her classroom, scare the kids #%&*less, run them all out and lock herself in her classroom. Had an old timer go bonkers once. He started roaming the halls mumbling things on the order of "They are all Satans spawn, evil, they're all evil". He had tenure and finished the year out and took a "medical" retirement.

That is in addition to the ones that got fired for various indiscretions. We will not go there. Some are still alive and you would recognize them on your staff.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Congrats!!
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Glad the new job is working out. Congrats.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I was wondering, who's job did you get?

Late starts are usualy due to unexpected enrollment, a husband being transferred or a new teacher walking off the job.

The last is always a good story. I have seen teachers show up for first day, work till their break period, leave and never come back. Had several never show up for day two. Had one girl freak after a week, trash her classroom, scare the kids #%&*less, run them all out and lock herself in her classroom. Had an old timer go bonkers once. He started roaming the halls mumbling things on the order of "They are all Satans spawn, evil, they're all evil". He had tenure and finished the year out and took a "medical" retirement.

That is in addition to the ones that got fired for various indiscretions. We will not go there. Some are still alive and you would recognize them on your staff.
    lol nothing like that at all. The job had been open since last year when the teacher took a permanent maternity leave. I think they were hoping my teacher's assistant (who is actually certified) would be able to take the position, but he still has to complete his student teaching before they could hire him. There are very few who hold my levels of certification. My friend, who is a deaf ed. teacher, was at a meeting and spoke with the woman who is now my boss. She said that they were looking for someone with my certain certifications and my friend told the woman she had a friend who had that certification. The woman asked her to have me contact her immediately. I did and had an interview the same day. The district has pushed my certification through at record pace (I have lifetime certification in Texas, but need Idaho certification). And the rest is history
    ‎"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Excellent! Tis a blessing in all ways! Congratulations!!

What subject are you teaching?
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    - Greek Proverb

I teach Applied English (remedial), Reading, and Study Skills. I am both special ed and general ed certified, so I can teach just about anywhere AND do all the nasty paperwork, too.

Do you teach ESL? That was one of the most rewarding classes I ever taught. I always learned more than I taught. One of the best experiences I ever had was teaching a young Navajo lady off the reservation. I spent a good deal of time learning about the Navajo language so I could make comparisons for her. Navajo is a beautiful language and she was a gifted writer.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

No, I'm not certified for ESL, but could easily be certified for ASL (sign language) since the mister is deaf (plus I interpreted my way through college and taught at MSU for a couple of years).

I took one semester of ASL as an elective. It was a pretty cool class I have to say. We have a school for the deaf near here and one of the instructors taught our class. I can spell my name and a couple of words and that's it. I used to be able to do more but now anything beyond and you'll get a blank stare from me. That's getting more and more common, too. Hmmm.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.