Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: backwoods menu/Wild tea.

Blog Entries

I... uh... yeah what Trax said. Nice write Owl Girl. And Trax I got your back if'n someone tries to mess with ya, fact I'll get in front and they gotta go through me first. And Rick... hmmm... my valley ain't go no boarders bro, North America is one big land in these eyes, Fed's... screw'em come get me I got something for ya
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Letuce. lettuce there is another non food item it is listed as a free food on most diets. Apples are actually a good food source with plenty of calories. Why is it that some people come to the defence of non issue subject ask an Inuet if fat is good for you (they know they wil die without it) I realize that we talk about a lot of things here but mostly how they apply to survival it is what we do. on this site when some one talks about food we think survival rations and what is the most energy for the least expenditure of energy and I think most look at it like this. The most common way to to refer to the food value of something is to say nutritional but in most survival cases it is really caloric value that is being refered to. It is not that some where that vitamins and minerals don't come into the picture but mostly in a theraputic way for illness. To be objective fat is pretty hard to come by in the wild so we need large amounts of proteen and carbs(if you can find them) when you are in a bad spot and ain't geting home easy if at all nutrition takes on a different meaning. Letece full of H2O
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

Then why were you using salad as a health food example for McDonald’s?

The average sized apple has around 75 calories and you use most of that digesting it and I still don’t think that’s why people say an apple a day…ya know

Quote Originally Posted by HOP View Post
    ask an Inuet if fat is good for you (they know they wil die without it)
    I already told that I don’t disagree that people need fat in their diet especially in a survival situation but there you go debating it again. Who are you debating it with? Listen carefully I don’t disagree that people need fat and calories in their diet especially in a survival situation so why do you keep stating it?

Blog Entries

Talking Oh yeah?

Right, like none of you guys would NOT go into the woods with Owl Girl to help her look for mushrooms, nutrients or not! Gimmie a break!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I don’t want to go alone into those deep dark woods

you haven't eaten in a week and you got to choose I good size mushroom of an simi familar type and a big double cheese burger which one gets turned into fertalizer before you have to hike twenty miles to the road.

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

(fingers in ears) I can't hear you. I can't hear you. I can't hear you. Salacious. Salacious. Salacious.
    Last edited by Rick; 12-05-2007 at 07:51 AM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Wink That does it!

you haven't eaten in a week and you got to choose I good size mushroom of an simi familar type and a big double cheese burger which one gets turned into fertalizer before you have to hike twenty miles to the road.
    Owl Girl, you & I are going "mushroom" hunting; HOP can go looking for the "Big Mac"!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I repeat My point with the apples and McDonalds was not to debate rather or not they were a better food source then mushrooms. It was explaining why I came to the conclusion that people are often speaking of vitamins and minerals when they say something is nutritious.

Did I ever say mushrooms were a better food source then a cheeseburger? NO. There are many better food sources then mushrooms. Did my thread say mushrooms the best food source in the world? NO. Did my thread say mushrooms the best food source in the woods? NO. I much rather have a Greek gyro but let’s be realistic gyros and cheeseburger don’t grow in the woods.

I think we ned to get the USDA and the FDA involved to se if this aledged nutricious mushroom even mets minimun requirement standards to be labeled legaly as nutritricous. I f it doesn't met standards it goes in the nonfood bin.

Blog Entries

Wink Yeah, what she said!!!

Quote Originally Posted by owl_girl View Post
    I much rather have a Greek gyro but let’s be realistic gyros and cheeseburger don’t grow in the woods.
    And...and...Curley Fries don't grow wild neither! (sorry Nell.) Actually, I didn't know they made "Curley" Fries, How about "Moe" Fries, Or "Larry Fries", or "Shemp Fries?" (n'yuk n'yuk)
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Come on hop you know you wont to help me look for mushrooms lol. Stop being stubborn.
    Last edited by owl_girl; 11-28-2007 at 09:32 PM.

What we have here is an ambitious factitious judicious (albeit nutritious) a wee bit malicious, somewhat vicious, perhaps superstitious (it makes me suspicious) but always delicious thread.

Oh, Sarge. You sleigh me (little Christmas pun).
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Default who cares.. really

if i am in the woods i will eat mushrooms if any of you posers take the time to educate yourselves about wilderness survival you will learn quickly about five or six mushrooms that are easily identifiable and will help keep you alive food in the stomach will give you energy to keep going. honestly some of you need to get in some dirt time and educate yourselves.

always be prepared..

Blog Entries

Talking Yeah, what he said!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    if i am in the woods i will eat mushrooms if any of you posers take the time to educate yourselves about wilderness survival you will learn quickly about five or six mushrooms that are easily identifiable and will help keep you alive food in the stomach will give you energy to keep going. honestly some of you need to get in some dirt time and educate yourselves.

always be prepared..
    So does this mean I can get 'shrooms on my Big Mac WITHOUT having to clear it with with the USDA, the FDA, The ASPCA, The ACLU, The CIA, The FBI, and any other intials I can come up with? (Sorry WE, couldn't resist)
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Yeah, what he said!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wareagle69

always be prepared..

So does this mean I can get 'shrooms on my Big Mac WITHOUT having to clear it with with the USDA, the FDA, The ASPCA, The ACLU, The CIA, The FBI, and any other intials I can come up with? (Sorry WE, couldn't resist)
    I'm sensitive to name calling ("posers"). I don't do it and I won't tolerate it. The real kicker is the "super moderator" chiming in in agreement. I've been received in this forum cooly at best. I've put out the effort to try to be helpful to the possible newbies who may be unaware of the dangers of the mushrooms they're being encouraged to eat. I was respectful in my approach. Rick was sure right about the getting walked on for it. Think I'll take my toys and find a new sandbox to play in.

Blog Entries

Cool Uh, SP...

Quote Originally Posted by SemperParatus View Post
    I'm sensitive to name calling ("posers"). I don't do it and I won't tolerate it. The real kicker is the "super moderator" chiming in in agreement. I've been received in this forum cooly at best. I've put out the effort to try to be helpful to the possible newbies who may be unaware of the dangers of the mushrooms they're being encouraged to eat. I was respectful in my approach. Rick was sure right about the getting walked on for it. Think I'll take my toys and find a new sandbox to play in.
    This group gets a bit frisky at times. Wareagle, like several others here speaks the way he feels. You can take it or leave it and you seem to be doing the latter. I was just joshing because of the "Owl Girl vs. Hop debate." In my opinion your waaaay too sensitive if the opinions of two people offended you. And for the record, being a moderator doesn't change anything I might want to say. If you're that easily offended then perhaps you're correct in leaving, although I think you're over-reacting. So long.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by SemperParatus View Post
    I don’t have a problem with you or anyone advising caution. You are right to do so. I certainly don’t remember stepping on anyone for it, though I may not have said much in response because I was a bit focused on debating with hop. Don’t take it so seriously when one person gets “frisky” as Sarge puts it. It’s not as if the whole group jumped on you. Indeed your posts are valuable and there are many people on this forum that will have many different reactions to them, sometimes you just gotta let things roll off your back. Just because one person doesn’t like your post doesn’t mean others won’t find it helpful.

Sempar - Please understand that my statement (getting walked on) was purely tongue in cheek as are a good many of mine. Most of the folks on here are good to the bone and engage in lively banter but never at someone else's cost. I'm really new to the forum having joined this month and have been welcomed by all and usually through some spirited conversation of which I take no offense.

I don't see the reference to "posers" being aimed at you or being said in a malicious manner. To be frank, I glossed over it without a second thought.

Please take a look at your signature:

"It's not what a man holds in his hand so much as what he holds in his heart and in his mind."

Those are good words and I would suggest you may have take offense where none was intended.

In the end, I would hate to see you leave the group but you have to do what makes you comfortable and is right for you.

As for the moderator reference, I also maintain a forum elsewhere in the net world and, from my perspective, didn't see anything from Sarge that would have raised my ears had it occurred on my site. Again, just my opinion.

Wareagle , owlgirl has been so kind as to p[ost the values of the mushroom and while it shows some vitamins and minerals it has litle protien. fat or carbos which IMHO makes it a very poor choice as a forage item in a survival not to mention that it is seasonal at best. The conversation that is going on is what nutritional means is it a myth that mushrooms are not concidered a good source for nutrition in a survival sort of way.

Sarge Semper is IMHO a serious student and practicioner of prepardness and survival and on other sites he has put in a lot of hard work and study to put forth diferent web sites of information that we all seam to want to know and is an ace at it. His behavioron this site is probably a lot closer to the forum rules than any of us including your self, we don't have to read every post if we don't want to and can only speak our likes and dislikes for our selfs and Semper is right don't get mad just moderate don't take sides that is part of the job description.

I think the next subject in this series should be are rabbits nutritious ( I was going to say owls but stopped myself) I have read in an old time trapping book where owl was deleious but you have to get over that shined out it looked like a human baby.