Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: backwoods menu/Wild tea.

You want to pick the tips (new growth) for the best flavor. I usually pick a stem about four inches long. If you look at a blue spruce, you can easily tell what is new growth and what is not. There's a very sharp difference in needle color. That would give you a decent reference with Red Spruce since the coloration doesn't differ that much.

I find that White Pine is a much milder tea and Red Spruce is a bit more flavorful and robust. Both have a nice clean flavor and are loaded with vitamin C (I've read 5 times that of an orange).

I usually rub the needles between my index finger and thumb to break them open and give more surface area to the water. Not enough to destroy the needles, however. Just enough to bring out the oil in them. I do the same thing to herbs by the way. It increases the flavor.

Some folks swear you should chop the needles but I've never done that. I just rinse the stems off, stick three or four sprigs in a cup and pour boiling water over them. I let steep about 10 minutes and enjoy.

Bon appetit!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Default Hardtack

Does anyone have a good recipe for hardtack?

I just made a batch using:

4 cups rolled oats
    4 cups flour
    1 1/2 cups water
    1 cup brown sugar
    4 tbsp honey
    2 tbsp salt

I baked it for half an hour @ 300 , flipped it over, cut into 3 inch squares, poked a bunch of holes, put it back in for another hour. After that take it out of the oven and let it sit overnight. The next day I put it back in the oven @ 200 for 2 hours or longer with the door slightly propped open.

It actually turned out pretty good. If anyone has any improvements, please let me know.
    "There is a saving streak of the primitive in all of us" - Euell Gibbons

Blog Entries

What is the consistancy of yours?

When I make it, it's like, really hard. It does taste good when there is nothing else.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Easier way

Just buy Sailor Boy Pilotbread. Have you ever thought "FRUITCAKE". It has a half life of 200 years. Taste like Sh*t, but it will keep you alive, Maybe.....Plus you can use it for a brick if you are short of tent pegs.

Blog Entries

For day trips, I just pick up a loaf of French bread. Take a little wine, cheese, crackers..........oh, oh, that's for a picnic. Just the bread sometimes.

At the rendezvous, I would leave pretty early, stop by Kroger and pick up one or two of their roasted chickens. After I set up camp and make a fire, I'd stick a stick through the chicken and stick it over the fire.

Pull and eat as necessary. I'd have two or three chickens depending on how many days I'd stay.

Always had roasted yardbird to eat.
    Last edited by FVR; 01-06-2008 at 09:03 PM.

Blog Entries

I use to make apple pie in gallon jugs. After the first time, it was mand. that I bring apple pie.

I'd break it out at night after the firearms were put away.

Ya know, think I need to make some up.

The dough is pretty thick when I mix it.

After it is finished baking and drying, it is hard enough to put a dent in a speed limit sign when thrown out the window @ 80 mph. Other than that it is pretty good. Just hope I don't break my teeth on it.

P.S. I can't find pilot bread here in PA.
    I thought about ordering it online. I read about it on wikipedia. They said it was big in Alaska.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Roger that

Quote Originally Posted by Last Mohican View Post
    P.S. I can't find pilot bread here in PA.
    I thought about ordering it online. I read about it on wikipedia. They said it was big in Alaska.
    Roger- roger, Ain't a private aircraft survival kit in Alaska that ain't half full of pilot bread.

Put some SPAM on it, and your eating like a real man.

City Survivalist Proud American's Avatar

FVR-We talkin Gallon Milk jug!
    I want to make SOME! Is it good? Im sorry Mohican but in my teenage mind it comes down to this......
    Hardtack Never = Apple Pie!
    Proud American

Here lies my great advice from my years of experience......

Default bush tea

i was wondering what wild ingredients one can put in tea? i've heard but dont quote me, raspberry leaves, pine needles, willow wood? anything information to add on this? also what kind of pine needles would be useable? anything to stay away from?

Blog Entries

Cool Note...

I'm moving your post to the thread already started on this subject.
    Last edited by Sarge47; 01-07-2008 at 01:30 AM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

This is where your post belonged.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Sarge, I'm sorry but I don't know what you moved or where you moved it. I know this thread is on wild foods but I did a search and didn't find a hardtack thread. To answer LM's question, sorry if I posted wrong:

During the civil war, hardtack was often soaked in coffee (or what ever they were drinking at the time) to soften it up. You can add a little animal fat (bacon grease works) to the softened hardtack to improve the flavor a bit.

Here's a link to a bunch of recipes for hardtack. It also includes wild foods and their uses:

http://www.geocities.com/pentagon/ba...9/recipes.html

Here's a place you can buy hardtack crackers:

http://www.bentscookiefactory.com/hardtack.htm
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

10-4
    Rick, I agree. I understand someone has to keep order (be the adult). But why not let the new subject run for 10 days, or till there are no new posts for 3 days. At that point sticky it where it belongs.

Default half-raw meat

Not sure where to put this but can a person become sick by eating half-raw meat?

well you do run the risk of some nasty little parasites,and they can make you sick.

Are you talking about wild game? Fish? Domestic meats (cow, pig)?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Are you talking about wild game? Fish? Domestic meats (cow, pig)?
    Eating half-raw meat would apply to all meat. Do you really trust meat inspectors at the packing houses? Not me. And domestic meats that are homestead grown are home-butchered a lot of times.

Thanks Rick. I will have to check those sites out. I guess the hardtack thing is hereditary. Since the French and Indian war, my family has been in infantry divisions in the army including myself. I was an M-60 totin' ground-pounding grunt for six years.
    I must be a glutten for punishment.