Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: backwoods menu/Wild tea.

Default oh man

Don't you just hate these guys with their well researched, responsible and intelligent answers? Just shut up WE (GAWD I hope someone that tough knows when I'm kidding)

I think one of the important points to bear in mind in these conversations is what exactly we're talking about. If you're starving....seeking out mushrooms is probably not the best way to expend energy. However, if you're outdoorsying around (new word! proud of me? anyone?) and mushrooms are available and you're trying to eat based on what you can harvest in nature then they sure do make a nice addition to the stew.

I've picked and eaten these big-a##ed wild mushrooms up north for years, I've never checked what type or kind they are. One of my mentors showed them to me and if I see some handy, I add them to what I'm cooking....if not...I don't spend a lot of time seeking them out.

The other thing is...you can be doing one of a hundred different chores and come across..wild mushrooms, wild onions, carrots, asparagus....it doesn't take a whole whack of energy to take a few minutes out and pick some. Me? A perfect day would be ..chunking up a ruffed grouse that I just shot and cleaned, throwing it into a pot with some water, stirring in some wild onions and mushrooms and if I have some flour, lard and baking powder, whipping up a bannock that I can cook on a forked stick. OK, I have to go look at a different subject now cuz I'm getting myself hungry.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Who cares!! Just put a mess of them in my omelet!

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

We should go hiking together Don...If we run into any strange new mushrooms...you can try the omelettes first, LOL
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Hey that all sounds great! Gives me alittle pease of mind. I kinda wondered how one would without grease in the sticks. It's encouraging to know that coon may be a resourse other than just something to eat. BTW, you guys gotta ease up on that muskrat, otter and moose stuff. I gotta think in terms of nutria rat(makes good boudan), alligator and hog. All that other suff is (uh-umm) yankee food and would make me sick to eat it. Just kiddin' I know that's racial....wait, is yankee actually a race?? Hummmm.........Kf71

Carp are not native to America they where introduce by the Dutch as a food fish and I've heard the board story about them but carp can be good eating as will . I boil most of my coon first and then BBQ them or bake , this removes a lot of fat
    Last edited by Smok; 12-06-2007 at 10:24 PM.

just make sure you cook them good, i remembered today that they usually carry an unusual parasite burden

Default Survival Food Recipies

All recipies that where previously posted can be found at the links below.

http://www.survivaltopics.com/surviv...make-hardtack/

and here:
    http://www.survivaltopics.com/surviv...val-power-gel/

and other parts of that website.
    Last edited by Tony uk; 12-17-2007 at 04:26 PM.
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

All previously posted recipies can be found on the site links below

and here:

Last edited by Tony uk; 12-17-2007 at 04:27 PM.
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

Trail Bread Mix

2 Cups flour
    1 Tablespoons baking soda
    2 Tablespoons sugar
    2 Tablespoons Cinnamon
    Add enough water to form stiff dough
    heat small amount of oil or fat in pan
    Add dough and fry, browning on both sides

WOJAPE (Wo zha pee) (Lakota berry pudding)
    5 lb. fresh or dried berries (blueberry, raspberry, cherry or a mix)
    8 cups of water
    2 cups of sugar
    cornstarch

To a 5 quart pot add all the berries and smash them (If you are at home, you can use a mashed potato masher or a food processor. If using a food processor, stop just short of puree, you want fine pieces throughout.)

To the smashed berries add the water and sugar. Boil (lightly) this mixture
    (Approximately 15 to 20 minutes) until everything is cooked. Thicken to desired thickness with cornstarch that has been dissolved in cold water.

Serve warm and eat with Indian Fry Bread or Trail Bread. Dip the bread into the Wojape and eat in this manner.

Mashed squash (serves 4)

1 1/2 lbs butternut squash
    1/4 tsp mace
    1/4 tsp allspice
    1 tsp ground cardamom
    1 tablespoon maple syrup
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 tsp melted butter

Cut squash in half, scrape out seeds and fiber. Chunk in 2" pieces. Boil or steam (steaming preserves its high amounts of vitamin C and A better) 20 minutes (boil) or 30 (steam) until tender. Cool slightly, and slip skin off pieces. Spoon flesh into blender, add remaining ingredients and process till smooth. Goes well with roast birds. Fresh-ground black pepper is great on it.

Appleade

Core and cut 2 large apples (don't peel them), and put them in a pan. Meanwhile, bring to a boil 1 quart (1 liter) of water, and pour over the apples. Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes or so. Strain it, and sweeten the drink with sugar. Serve chilled.

Sweet and Sour Roses

Put 1 cup rose petals into a canning jar. Dissolve 1 cup sugar in 1-1/4 cups wine vinegar, adding 1/2 teaspoon each nutmeg, cinnamon, and ground ginger. Bring that mixture to a boil, simmer for a few minutes and pour over the rose petals. Seal tightly and store in a cool spot.

Snow Ice Cream

Fresh snow
    sugar (add enough for your taste)
    milk (add enough for your taste)
    vanilla (add enough for your taste)

Mix all ingredients well and serve it right away in dishes.

Apple Pandowdy (Serves: 10)

12 cups apples
    1 1/3 cups sugar, brown
    1 teaspoon nutmeg
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    8 Tablespoons molasses
    1/3 cup water
    2 Tablespoons butter
    2 cups flour (white or all-purpose)
    3 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoons salt
    8 Tablespoons butter
    2/3 cup milk

Peel and slice apples. Combine apples, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, molasses and water in greased dutch oven. Dot with butter.

Prepare shortcake biscuit dough.

Mix flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Cut in butter, blend until mixture resembles cornmeal. Stirring with a fork add enough milk to make soft dough. Continue stirring until all of the flour disappears. Turn out onto a floured board; knead lightly for about 1/2 minute.

Turn smooth side up and roll or pat out to 1/4" thickness to fit dutch oven.

Place on top of apple mixture. Bake in hot oven (350-400) for 35-35 minutes until shortbread is done.

Cicada Granola Chews

15 cicadas
    1 cup flour
    1 cup brown sugar
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 cup butter
    1 egg
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 1/2 cups Kroger Granola Cereal with Raisins

First freeze cicadas and break off legs and wings etc. Next boil for 5 min. then bake at 550 F for 10min. Take cicadas out and cut up very finely. Preheat oven to 350 F. In a large bowl stir together flour, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda. Stir in remaining ingredients except cereal; until smooth. Stir in half of the cereal. Form dough into 1 inch balls and roll in remaining cereal. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until golden brown.
    Last edited by Rick; 12-16-2007 at 11:27 PM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Much of this post was taken from from copyrighted material here:

and here:

I suggest you get the permission of the content owner before posting large chunks of other peoples work. The forum could get into big legal problems if content is stolen from the wrong websites in the manner as shown above. I like this forum too much for that to happen.

I think that members of this forum should have available a written policy not to steal content from other sites. A blurb and a link to the original website that has the information is legal but lifting someone elses content could cause many problems for this forum including legal action, big fines, and loss of advertising.
    Last edited by RobertRogers; 12-17-2007 at 08:30 AM.
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

Thank you RobertRogers

Default Winter Wild Edibles

so...are there any wild edibles to be found in the winter ?

i never gave much thought into it, because usually when winter hits i forget about wild edibles and turn to trying to get my snares and traps to work. (unsuccessfully i might add.. )

i know that cat-tail has a bit of it that is edible in all season. i guess the root/tuber would be the edible part in the winter.
    And maybe reindeer moss if i can find some kickin' around.

Wintercress
    Field garlic
    Garlic mustard
    Rose hips (pardon me, yuck, patuey)
    cattail shoots
    arrowhead tubers
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool What?

Didn't I start a "recipe" thread already?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    "so. . .are there any wild edibles to be found in the winter ?

i know that cat-tail has a bit of it that is edible in all season. i guess the root/tuber would be the edible part in the winter. . . ."
    Cattails are not good in the winter. . .at least not any I've had in the late fall or winter. The tubers were bitter and the shoots were very woody and tough!
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

Native Dude - I look for the small white shoots that come straight out of the rhizome. Cut very thin, I like them in a stew or gumbo. They are a bit chewy eaten raw.
    Last edited by Rick; 12-20-2007 at 07:43 AM.

Pine nuts. They are good anytime of the year!

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

Default Deer Meat Loaf

1 1/2 pounds ground deer
    2 eggs
    1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    1 cup dry bread crumbs
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/8 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    2 tbsp brown sugar
    2 tbsp spicy brown mustard
    2 tbsp vinegar

In a large bowl, lightly beat eggs. Add tomato sauce, onion, bread crumbs, salt, pepper and garlic powder.

Add deer meat and mix well. Press into an ungreased 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pan.

Combine brown sugar, mustard and vinegar; pour over meat loaf.

Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 70 minutes.

I've seen deer, they almost never let their meat loaf.

Bad dog! Kennel! Now, go on.