Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: backwoods menu/Wild tea.

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

On a simple "day-hike" I take a full MRE pouch Otherwise I camp from my car so I take all kinds of stuff! If it were a Backpacking trip I'd take "freeze-dried" food to cut down on the weight.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

oh man that's foul. nothin' like constipating MREs and mountain house to motivate me to find some real food.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Blog Entries

Red face Topping it off!

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    oh man that's foul. nothin' like constipating MREs and mountain house to motivate me to find some real food.
    You're starting to sound like my wife! Us old guys are tough! I even drink from a Nalgene bottle!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Wow!!!

Oh look honey! A real live campfire! I guess they let people have those in California, unlike where we live. Such a thing here would invite a visit from the local "PO-PO" and a stiff fine! Maybe that's why California is being plauged with all those Wildfires! That MRE looks delicious though! YUM!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Really depends on what time of year. In the fall, tea bags, jerky, nuts, some kind of bread, I can forage for black, hack, rasberries and muscadines and persimmons. I have caught trout and eaten them for lunch, but with a pole it's no gaurantee.

In the winter, tea bags, jerky, nuts and dried fruit, throw in some grits or oat meal, try to take smoked meat or fish. I have tried fishing with a pole to no use so I mainly depend on what I take in. Also, depending on hunting, in this day and time will leave you hungry, well in my part of the woods. Yeh, a squirrel, rabbit, hog, deer season is usually over when I go in the woods. But, hunting is no gaurantee.

Did have a good meal of bobcat years ago, gent shot one making his way to camp.

Ya'll can keep those mre's, I've eaten my share in life and care not to anymore.

Oh yeh, and with the drought, don't get caught making a fire.

Still no rain FVR?

City Survivalist Proud American's Avatar

Claifornias always low on water there about to start "reclamin" are water here in Orange County, basicly gettin old water already used and put alot of chemicals in it and put it in are taps!
    Proud American

Here lies my great advice from my years of experience......

Blog Entries

We've had rain alright, but we are still in very bad drought conditions.

It's not the water used in day to day consumption, but rather the water being used in the elec. plants throughout the state. Cut back on the elec. helps more for saving water than taking a quick shower.

Blog Entries

We use to sneak up to a water hole, high fenced in area off El Toro rd. and fish for catfish back in the 80's. They actually had police guarding it.

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post

It's not the water used in day to day consumption, but rather the water being used in the elec. plants throughout the state. Cut back on the elec. helps more for saving water than taking a quick shower.
    We have gotten alot of rain recntly too,rain that normally would have left us pretty flooded,but no flooding this time,as the ground is so dry,it has soaked it all up,still well under the normal rainfall,maybe next year will be better.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Wet lands!

We got about 3-4" of snow a few days ago, but it's melted off quite a bit. If we keep getting snow & rain then in April/May the Morel crop should be pretty good!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

I would love to get some snow. It usually does not snow here until late Feb., and March. Matter of fact, I met my wife Caren during the snowstorm of 93 in Ga. It snowed close to two feet, started friday morning and snowed until Sunday.

I remember taking my blue chow Ashley running in the woods. I would take here off lead and we would go at it. She dissapeared. The snow had frozen to her coat and she looked like a snowdog.

Miss that dog.

For a day trip i take mostly preserved foods like beef jerky (Made In The USA ) or a MRE, also i take dried fruit and vegitables with a bottle of hot sauce (The good stuff)
    Also the dried fruit packets you can get from any shop are good snacks. also dried soup powder is great (I eat it cold if i need to, its refreshingly cool but tastes better hot)

I take freeze dried coffee, hot choco, tea and screech (A kind of orange drink, search it on google its included in british MREs) all are nice to have at the end of a cold day

I like freeze dried American style rations, when you out in the wilderness they make a really tasety meal thats lightweight and nutritious
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

I just tried pine needle tea for the first time....yum!
    I thank whatever Gods may be for my unconquerable soul.

-Henley

Nic Abundant Leones

What kind? I like Red Spruce better than White Pine but I'll take either one.

I usually carry some home made trail mix, my old stand by Ramen noodles, some quick rice and tea or coffee bags. I found a package of Bumble Bee chicken breast in a foil pouch and I'm going to take it on my next trek (this week-end if we don't get a flood). It's fully cooked in the pouch.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Question Backwoods menu. . .

Whatever I trap, snare, shoot, or catch (fishing) and all the edible greens I can find. I cook my meat/fish with wild sage and blue camas (usually). . .YUMMMMMM!
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post

People think we get a couple of days of rain and that ends the drought. I drive by Lake Lanier every day, it looks the same as it did before the rain we got this week. We need months of none stop rain to get us out of this drought. For a month our county was banning all outside fires except BBQ grills.
    "The ability for a person to prevail in a survival situation is based on three factors: survival knowledge, equipment, and will to survive. All are important, but the most important is the will to survive." -Greg Davenport

uhmmm, i miss camas. have you had camas mead?

What kind? I like Red Spruce better than White Pine but I'll take either one.
    I've only tried white pine thus far, but I'll keep my eyes out for some red spruce! Do you find the tea tastes better when the needles are fresh or after they've been sitting around for a while?
    I thank whatever Gods may be for my unconquerable soul.

-Henley

Nic Abundant Leones