Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: backwoods menu/Wild tea.

Novice Fisher and Trapper

Raspberries... deer...turkey

except no substitutes, Chaga, just another gift from the birch tree. One thing about chaga I noticed is that it's usually eight feet of the ground. This can make it a challenge to harvest. I came across a birch grove earlier this year, just loaded with chaga, at a reasonable height to harvest. I may hike back there on monday and get me a pack full.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Down here we have a lot of wild berries. There's an area not to far away from where I live were a patch of blackberries grow, so every season I pick them wild. I pick them and my friend makes cobblers and pies out of them or I eat them plain. Love blackberries. Mulberries and black walnuts are also extremely common, and easy to find if you know where to look. Nettles are common, and are good when cooked up. Dandelions are in abundance.

Blackberry leaves also make a pretty good tea. Just don't consume it in large quantities.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Blackberry leaves also make a pretty good tea. Just don't consume it in large quantities.
    how come?????????
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Blackberry leaves contain a tannin. Hydrolysable tannins such as gallotannins and ellagitannins (yes, I googled it. I had no idea what the names were). If you drink a lot of it not only can it cause gastric problems and diarrhea but liver problems as well. I drink it from time to time but I'm not a big tea drinker of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Go_army2 View Post
    Frog legs and craw dads!
    YUUUMMMYYYY !!!!!!

I also like sassafras tea, blackberries, mulberries (tree in my yard) lambs quarter (goosefoot), cattail roots, wild mint tea, dandelions, walnuts, hickory nuts, chess nuts, fish, squirrel, rabbit, deer, groundhog, quail, grouse, turkey, doves, turtle, etc etc etc
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Tried to replant some sassafras trees in Wisconsin Coulee Region, for tea....got them from south central Missouri, (seems to be similar terrain), didn't make it....then I found out about the carcinogen in it so backed off.

I do like chamomile and rose hip tea.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I like that tea that has the name of a state, Long Island I think!

Hello, was reading all of the posts here and I can see you commented on Oregon, can you tell me if there is any off grid living their in the mountains? Just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by cavkid View Post
    Hello, was reading all of the posts here and I can see you commented on Oregon, can you tell me if there is any off grid living their in the mountains? Just wondering.
    Can you be a little more specific?........ 23 pages of comments.....?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Backwoods jan/feb 14 issue has an article on natural coffee substitutes,dandelion etc....pretty interesting,im gonna try it this summer

Golden purslane, squirrel, and raspberries. Purslane because its sweet, sour, and crunchy. It goes really great in salads, soups, pickles, etc. Squirrel because it was the first thing I killed, gutted, cooked, and tanned all on my own. Raspberries because there sweat, and there my second favorite berry. (Strawberries are my favorite, but I've never harvested them from the wild.)

I like Leptospermum teas, Smilax glyciphylla tea, Nettles, Deer, Goat and Kangaroo meat, (Goanna meat is delicious too, but you can only have it, if it is killed by Aboriginals), Quail, Pigeon, and Raven meat, Trout (smoked with spice mix and brown sugar!), Yabbies (Cerax destructor), Hyridella australis & depressa (fresh Water mussel), Bogong Moths, Quandongs and Sandalwood nuts (fried in oil), Bunya pine and Macadamia nuts, Lactarius deliciosus funghi (Saffron milk cap), Cissus hypoglauca (water vine grapes), Ficus coronata (Sandpaper Fig), Microseris lanceolata (Murnong root).

Heaps more out there, but these are off the top of my head.

Top 3 plants for me would be:
    1. Chile Pequin(little bird peppers)
    2. Prickly pear fruits
    3. Wild mint

I've had a few others and exotics like lotus root, galangal, pickled fig leaves....And some really crazy ones :-D

Hazelnuts, Wild Brier and Elderberries.

My favorite thing has always been making white fur needle and wild ginger tea when it's really cold. So relaxing.....
    I also LOVE pine nuts, but I would love to try making acorn cakes.

Blackberries and walnuts for me. I like most plants with a lemony tang or sweet nectar as well.
    I need to take my time and research a lot of info on wild plants. I only know just enough to get by in my state.

Back to the chaga, I've been in search of a pair of climbing spikes to facilitate harvesting the chaga that grows high on the tree.

Randy - If you get a set of hooks make certain the gaffs are for trees. Pole gaffs are shorter since there is no bark to penetrate on a pole. Good brands are Klein, Buckingham and Bashlin. Bashlin makes a set with two gaffs on each stirrup. I don't know if the other guys make similar or not. The gaffs for trees are generally 2 3/4 inches long while the ones for poles are a full inch shorter. Be aware too that there are different styles of gaffs. The difference is in how they connect to the stirrup. Like knives there is a set way to sharpen them.

You should be able to pick up used ones on ebay. Just make certain all the parts are there. Adjustable stirrup, gaffs, ankle strap and connecting ring, shin pad and shin strap. I just gave two sets of pole gaffs away. I wish I'd known you were looking for a set I'd have given them to you. Even if you purchase hooks with pole gaffs you should be able to change out the gaffs for the larger tree version. You can buy new gaffs online just make certain they connect the same way the old ones do.