Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: backwoods menu/Wild tea.

thx. for the info added site to my favorites

Quote Originally Posted by marcraft View Post
    no , they were like resberries but you could see through them , they were on a plant that looks sorta like a wild blueberry plant, there was just one cluster of em there iv nevery seen anything like it in books or whyle hiking
    There's a northern plant that is just like a raspberry called "thimbleberry", but it has a large maple-like leaf. It's delicious...much better than raspberries, I think!

Quote Originally Posted by rt36crazyfists View Post
    i was wondering what wild ingredients one can put in tea? i've heard but dont quote me, raspberry leaves, pine needles, willow wood? anything information to add on this? also what kind of pine needles would be useable? anything to stay away from?
    You can make any wild edible plant into tea. I love mints especially, but nothing beats an energy drink like stinging nettle tea.

I absolutely love to get the first tender spring leaves from stinging nettles. Pick with care, they bite! After washing them good, add to boiling water, turn heat down low and cover. Cook 10 to 12 minutes. Can be used like spinach or any kind of greens, just according to how many you picked.
    You can also puree them after cooking and make soup, have say...a couple cups of the puree simmering and turn the heat off, add a half to a full cup of half and half or light cream, stir really good, allow to warm back up.
    You can use your taste buds to see if the next time you'd like to add some slivers of ham or just whatever.
    Wild onions! They are everywhere for the taking and oh so good!!! Raw or steamed and buttered!
    Spring black berry leaves and any of the blooms for delicious table tea.
    Then watch the bushes for the berries if you can beat the birds to them.
    Passion Flower fruits.
    The outdoors is similar to a grocery store.....
    kitty

down here in alabama bout tha only thangs that are edible is blackberrys,honeysuckles,deer,and if your lucky you'll find the occasional creek with fish
    All good things are wild and free
    -Henry David Thoreau

Learn from the old and the wise

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Survival Guy 10 View Post
    down here in alabama bout tha only thangs that are edible is blackberrys,honeysuckles,deer,and if your lucky you'll find the occasional creek with fish
    Hey, Guy! After you find that creek, think you can find our Introductions Section and tell us a bit about yourself? http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Alabama has a LOT more edibles than that. Wild plants o' plenty.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Yeah SG10 you know those thorny vine everyone calls "wait-a-minute" vines, It's laurel leaf greenbrier / Smilax laurifolia (fairly sure thats the botanical name but all smilax spp are), the root is edible stay away from the rest of the plant or you won't "smile" when the lax(as in laxative) hits you.in wet swampy areas look for both kinds of water lilies the yellow pond lileis we call "gator tater" Cattails.... Man I could go on and on.there's a TON of edibles available to you. Get a good edible guide like the petersons and get out there your whole world will open up.
    Oh one of my favorites is spurge nettle I ate that in NC while in the 82nd. They couldn't find us to resupply food, and the LT wouldn't send them a guide, so we had to "make do" for a few days. One of the guys fell so in love with Sassafras tea that it was all I could do to keep him from harvesting it ALL!!

Banned

The wild animals I have killed, harvested if you're faint of heart, deer, rabbits, squirrels,phesants, feral pigs and wild boar(not the same critter, trust me)All make great table fare.As well as a meriad of fresh water fish, crayfish and mussels.
    I've personally foraged morel, inky cap, puffball, chicken of the woods,wild oyster and sulfur shelf mushrooms/fungi. As well as wild onions, wild asparagus, day lilies,cattail roots and shoots, wild sage and sage brush, wild bay leaves, wild mint, wild winter green, stinging nettles(makes a lovely tea along with wild herbs) spruce and pine needles (tea w/vitamin C), acorns, hickory nuts, wild pecans, pignuts, chestnuts, walnuts, persimmons,pawpaws, wild grapes, blueberries, raspsberries,blackberries, gooseberries(better have sugar on hand the are SOUR) elderberries, wild strawberries, apples, pears and peaches from feral trees, crabapples, mulberries, sassafras leaves and roots. Wild sorrel, savory and dill, chives, and basil, even tobbaco and marijuana/hemp grows wild here in Indiana, though I've never bothered with them.

We have different plant foods in Australia. My three favorites are:

1, Muntries, a berry that tastes like dries apples
    2, River reed (don't know the name) . The sweet underground stem growing tip tastes exactly like watermelon
    3, Pigface (In Africa called hottentot fig). The pulp of the red fruits taste like lemonade when heated by the sun.

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile goodies

Quote Originally Posted by donkeynomad View Post
    We have different plant foods in Australia. My three favorites are:

1, Muntries, a berry that tastes like dries apples
    2, River reed (don't know the name) . The sweet underground stem growing tip tastes exactly like watermelon
    3, Pigface (In Africa called hottentot fig). The pulp of the red fruits taste like lemonade when heated by the sun.
    I would like to try all of them... here in Florida we have the Paw Paw fruit, they taste just like cantelope. and the staghorn sumac that tastes like pink lemonaide.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

moleberry,crab apples and wild strawberrys

My three favorites! Morels, ramps and asparagus. All harvested together and fried over an open fire. Some bluegills would go nicely with them too. Wild tea? Chaga tea is pretty good. That's the only wild tea I've drank.

I had my first Sumac tea. "Scratching my head!" Pink lemonade? My first batch was a dark green/ brown and had no flavor, the berries themselves had no flavor and weren't very dark in color. My second batch was Amber in color and had a slight lemon flavor. The berries were dark and somewhat sour like lemons. Reminded me of lemon flavored iced tea. A far cry from pink lemonade though. Maybe I just need riper or better berries?? It was a good refreshing drink, but reminded me more of tea than lemonade.

I'll make this a top ten just because it would go on forever otherwise.My favourite wild (or naturalised) foods are...

1> Macadamia nuts. They are native to my area and very common in some places. Very rich, full of oil and protein, and very tasty too. Excellent roasted with some chilli and garlic sloshed on.

2> Mangos. Not native although they may as well be, very common. Delicious, packed with vitamins and many cultures hold that they help expel stomach bugs etc. Also a fan of the green mango... raw,sliced with soy or tamarind... or made into chutney or dried to powder for curries.

3> Native Spinach. Tetragonia sp. It's a succulent spinach, hardy stuff, needs a change of water in boiling if you eat a lot of it due to traces of oxalic acid. Very tasty, bout the same as "real" spinach. Easy to find.

4> lilly pillys. An aussie native, they're about the size of a brazilian cherry and red, purple or pink. Taste and patability varies by species, all are edible but some are very astringent. Big juicy ones found deep in the rainforest by streams are the absolute best.

5> yabbies. Aussie freshwater crayfish. Red and blue kinds. Catch as for crawdads, boil up, munch. Great from good water, not so great from stale old dams etc. Easily trapped so you can get on with other things as they catch themselves for you.

6> Bugs. Yeah, I know :P But de-hopped grasshoppers, tree grubs and I'll include snails here are free, easy to catch, rich in protein and actually pretty tasty with some seasoning. A local trick is to smash anthills, termite mounds and collect the larvae, quick toast and they're very nutty. Snails require a lot of cooking to kill off potential hazards and best to keep em on a clean diet for a few days before eating, if you can manage it. You can eat almost anything with chilli sauce! Which brings me to ...

7> Chillis. Not native, naturalised in some areas of Aussie urban-wild fringe. I always keep a heap of seeds, and have plants on the go. My favourites are thai upwards pointing, and Jalapeno. the thai's get fried in oil (pop them first!) and go into a very hot but tasty sauce with garlic, the jalas are of course more for pan-cooked stuff. I have made a great roasted green Jala, rosemary, sage relish... delicious... and dried a stack of jalas after a quick vinegar dip and a salt rub. Amazing stuff.

8> native figs. only some species, others are awful to eat unless you're a bird. Preferably baked, with brandy cream but fresh from the tree is pretty good too :P

9> fish. easy, tasty, simple. My favourites are silver trevally and red snapper when on the coast, eel tail catfish and golden perch in fresh. Also oysters, mussels, crabs, etc.

10> wild rasberries. they are kind of tasteless most of the time, but edible and if the bush has one , it has a thousand. Good if you have a bit of stomach upset too.

Now I have to go eat , all that has made me hungry
    my sense of self approval is bigger than yours. and I chose to be born in the most stupid country ever.

Default "Brown Da Onions"

Coon is very good to eat provided all glands have been removed. You do not want to cook a coon with the glands still in the animal it will taste horrible.

Hey recon - How about cooking your way over to our Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself?

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=7813
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

one thing i can say i love about california: our wild figs are outstanding.

last year's half ripe figs [never seemed to finish ripening on a lot of trees] where even pretty sweet.
    the caprifigs aren't good, and are a bit bitter, but you can eat them.

I would love to live somewhere where macadamia nuts where wild/naturalized.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default CanID's dandelion link

This is a question for CanID.
    A while back you had a link in your signature for preparing dandelions. I think I saved it on my now dead computer (I am taking over the kids comp now lol). Can you possibly post that link to this thread? I have a couple ways in a few of my books, but wanted to include that method in the notes section of one.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Im not much of a veggie guy, but i LOVE fruits and berries. My favorites around here are manzanita berries, blackberries, and madrone berries. A cider of manzanita berries mixed with fir needles really hits the spot :P