Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Key Chain Gizmo's for Survival?

Default Key Chain Gizmo's for Survival?

Key Chain Gizmo’s for Survival?

The idea that a person should stake their survival on little gizmos like found in Altoid can survival kits is absurd. Still I have some unexplainable fascination for small things that are functional. I have found some things that can be handy and I use them with my fixed blade knives giving them increased capability similar to a multi tool. A lot of them will fit in a small space or key chain.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Small Swiss Army knife I have used mainly for personal grooming. The scissors will cut finger nails, tooth pick, finger nail file (useless), tweezers and small blade that I have used to open plastic packaging that otherwise would have driven me crazy. Maglight Solitiare flashlight has come in handy to find things in dark but would not last long enough to use for walking home in the dark. Compass and magnifying glass built into carabineer has been useful. Compass is amazing accurate and with my old eyes it sure helps to be able to see or read things like labeling on products. I like S-bineers for attaching things. Aftermarket P-38 for opening cans. The next tool is a set of pliers, two kinds of screwdriver and wire cutter that folds up. Last a razor blade scraper.

I can’t explain it but I buy this little crap when ever I see it. I’m a sucker for this stuff but for a couple of bucks it’s a harmless hobby. Who knows….maybe you guys have some stuff I have not seen and I too can have complete survival in a Altoid can.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 07-06-2011 at 12:34 PM. Reason: restored post

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

I don't see the small whiskey flask! Kinda reminds me of Ranger Dick's key-chain survival kit.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    Key Chain Gizmo’s for Survival?

The idea that a person should stake their survival on little gizmos like found in Altoid can survival kits is absurd. Still I have some unexplainable fascination for small things that are functional. I have found some things that can be handy and I use them with my fixed blade knives giving them increased capability similar to a multi tool. A lot of them will fit in a small space or key chain.

Small Swiss Army knife I have used mainly for personal grooming. The scissors will cut finger nails, tooth pick, finger nail file (useless), tweezers and small blade that I have used to open plastic packaging that otherwise would have driven me crazy. Maglight Solitiare flashlight has come in handy to find things in dark but would not last long enough to use for walking home in the dark. Compass and magnifying glass built into carabineer has been useful. Compass is amazing accurate and with my old eyes it sure helps to be able to see or read things like labeling on products. I like S-bineers for attaching things. Aftermarket P-38 for opening cans. The next tool is a set of pliers, two kinds of screwdriver and wire cutter that folds up. Last a razor blade scraper.

I can’t explain it but I buy this little crap when ever I see it. I’m a sucker for this stuff but for a couple of bucks it’s a harmless hobby. Who knows….maybe you guys have some stuff I have not seen and I too can have complete survival in a Altoid can.
    Kinda like women and shoes!or so I'm told, I have trouble walking out of garden centres emptyhanded.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

You go into garden centers expecting to walk out empty-handed??? I don't even try.

AS, I keep a similar stash of mini-tools on a snap ring in my truck. They aren't good for survival but are good for the little road-trip mini-emergencies. Most of the stuff I have is schwag from various trade shows but some of it is pretty good quality. Next trip out I'll take a pic.

Guilty as charged.

I figure if I have something on me that's a whole lot better than nothing. If the canoe flips over leaving me with only what I have in my pockets or I tumble end over tea kettle down a cliff ripping my pack from my battered body or someone steals everything I own except my thong and my key chain survival kit.....I'll still make it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

You know, I've tried that. It's a bit pokey for my tastes though. I'll see if I can take a pic for you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    Oh, and I think keeping your key chain in your thong it will safe. Good survival tip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You know, I've tried that. It's a bit pokey for my tastes though. I'll see if I can take a pic for you.
    No, No, No! The ladies of WSF have only just recovered from the last sighting of THAT photo.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Well, gee, okay.

Blog Entries

Cool Yep!

Got one!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

No, No, No! The ladies of WSF have only just recovered from the last sighting of THAT photo.

Maybe the women of WSF have recovered but combat hardnered men of WSF have not. But i can only speak for myself, My eyes still burn a little,
    I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
    Oscar Wilde

http://www.youtube.com/user/jimhuntermj21

What a bunch of pansies. It's just a little thong. Okay, maybe it's not THAT little.

What a bunch of pansies. It's just a little thong. Okay, maybe it's not THAT little.
    Richard,it is not the little thong that bothers us so much,it is all that the little thong is not covering that is the problem.....
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Used to carry all that stuff on my keys, but the weight actually screwed up my ignition switch on one of my older trucks.

Now I just have to wear suspenders to hold my pants up for all the stuff on the belt and pockets.

I have the "gizmo" collectors malady myself, BTW has anyone seen those Mini Altoid cans?
    Wonder what I can jamb in one of those?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Paranoia is a man that wears a belt and suspenders.

Paranoia is a man that wears a belt and suspenders.
    No....... just redundancy.
    The dispatch girl asked me one time why I wore both, told her that it was because I didn't have a big enough butte......she said too much information.

But with company cell, personal cell, pager, multi tool, flash light, keys, (personal and company), knife plus all the "stuff in pockets" couldn't keep my pants up.
    Last edited by hunter63; 09-12-2010 at 08:30 PM. Reason: splin'

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    No....... just redundancy.
    The dispatch girl asked me one time why I wore both, told her that it was because I didn't have a big enough butte......she said too much information.

But with company cell, personal cell, pager, multi tool, flash light, keys, (personal and company), knife plus all the "stuff in pockets" couldn't keep my pants up.

Thats really funny considering your signature line.....

Old Mountain man saying, The more ya know, the less ya have to carry.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    Thats really funny considering your signature line.....

Old Mountain man saying, The more ya know, the less ya have to carry.
    LOL, Why do you think I use that line? NOW...........
    Last edited by hunter63; 09-13-2010 at 07:00 PM. Reason: splin'

Might survive, might not Brazito's Avatar

Default A link for keyring gizmos

I too have a fascination(sp?) for gizmos, please enjoy the link:
    http://www.countycomm.com/Whats%20New.htm
    I was so depressed last night thinking about the economy, wars, jobs, my savings, Social Security, retirement funds, etc., I called the Suicide Hotline.

I got a call center in Pakistan, and when I told them I was suicidal, they got all excited, and asked if I could drive a truck.

I hereby dedicate this video to sarge.

http://www.youtube.com/user/desertsu.../9/_M2lP2DXLI4
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee