Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Name is Winnie and...

Hi Winnie! I am back today after a month or so offline and saw this post.

What do you use? Do you use Mason type canning jars? We cannot get that type here, so I am looking at options. The only thing I can find are glass jars with regular metal lids.

Also, do you use a pressure cooker/canner, or just a large stock pot? I am going to have to go the stockpot route, so am interested in learning from anyone who may use the same method. I have heard all the concerns about health & stuff, but that is the way it is here, so I am learning based on my environment.

You mentioned growing your own supplies; what do you mean by that?

Hope you and Winnie Jr. are doing well!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Over the last few weeks....
    Jam.. Damson, Raspberry.
    Chutney.. Fig, Green tomato.
    Dehydrated.. Sweetcorn, Mushrooms, Peas, Mixed stew veg, sliced New Potatoes, Bell Peppers, Ripe tomatoes(drying now)
    Canned.. Applesauce, Applesauce with Blackberries, Tomatoes, Damsons.
    Frozen.. Green beans, Tomato sauce.

I need another freezer
    Stop! You're making me hungry.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Blog Entries

More Tomatoes dehydrating.... I can't stop!
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    That's just the start. The next thing you know there's only one place left to sit in the house. The rest of the space is taken up by freezers, the breaker box is on the verge of frying and you find yourself on the next edition of Hoarders. Oh, the humanity!
    LOL............
    The difference between a hoarder and a prep-per is storage space and organizational skills.

DW says that's enough chilli sauce, for now so the balance of this batch of tomatoes are going on the dehydrator.

Any one need any zucchini?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by smhg View Post
    Hi Winnie! I am back today after a month or so offline and saw this post.

What do you use? Do you use Mason type canning jars? We cannot get that type here, so I am looking at options. The only thing I can find are glass jars with regular metal lids.

Also, do you use a pressure cooker/canner, or just a large stock pot? I am going to have to go the stockpot route, so am interested in learning from anyone who may use the same method. I have heard all the concerns about health & stuff, but that is the way it is here, so I am learning based on my environment.

You mentioned growing your own supplies; what do you mean by that?
    You should try to get a copy of the book "Putting Food By". It'll tell you what, and how, to can with a simple boiling water bath you can do in a large stock pot. Food has to have a certain level of acidity or it isn't safe to can in a boiling water bath. No meats, a lot of vegetables have to be pickled or brined. Otherwise you need the pressure canner. There are a couple books put out by the Ball company that are good for beginners too.

Can you get canning lid seals and rings? You shouldn't re-use lids that you get on things like mayonaise or spaghetti sauce jars. You can use the jars, if you're careful, they break easy, but you should replace the lids. That book will also tell you how to seal jams and jellies with wax. They don't recommend it but they tell you how to do it. Can't imagine that working in a really warm climate though.