Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Name is Winnie and...

Blog Entries

Default My Name is Winnie and...

I am Preservaholic. It’s been 2 hrs since my last preserving session.
    It all started when I began hanging around this WS Forum. There were these guys who reminded to be prepared. It seemed like a good idea at the time and I went along with them. I thought I could control it. I had kicked the habit before while I was earning plenty of cash. I knew I didn’t need it then, I could just go and buy everything I needed from the store, right? So I could just stop again.
    I hit hard times and they showed me new ways to feed myself. My habit returned. I cannot function without at least one session of preserving a week. First it was easy stuff like jam making and freezing a few vegetables, but before I knew it I was on to hard core preserving of canning and dehydrating. I’ve had a few disasters but my habit just grows. I’m now growing my own supplies too. Can things get any worse?
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Banned

Hello Winnie

You are in a safe place.

Forget them, Winnie. You NEED to preserve. Have I ever let you down? You need supplies you come see me. Here, take these jars. Go ahead. My treat. Do those guys look like coppers to you?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

What Rick said Winnie,you don't need help,you need MORE preserving sessions,growing your own supplies,eh??? Be careful with that,you just never now who is lurking around the corner,ready to take what you worked so hard to grow.

can't trust anyone,knowwhatImean???
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Wnnie. If one is going to get hooked on something I think you found the right thing.

oldtrap

Blog Entries

Over the last few weeks....
    Jam.. Damson, Raspberry.
    Chutney.. Fig, Green tomato.
    Dehydrated.. Sweetcorn, Mushrooms, Peas, Mixed stew veg, sliced New Potatoes, Bell Peppers, Ripe tomatoes(drying now)
    Canned.. Applesauce, Applesauce with Blackberries, Tomatoes, Damsons.
    Frozen.. Green beans, Tomato sauce.

I need another freezer
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Banned

Thats Great Winnie !

I wish i could talk my parents into that, but they're pretty much cleared of worrys about things like that, even about home security.

Not being worried is a peaceful way to live. A darn site cheaper, too.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

It is however not that practical when your life depends on it

Over Taxed Under Paid Swamprat1958's Avatar

Winnie how are you putting up your sweet corn? My family loves corn on the cob and I have started pulling the ears, spreading them out on the floor to let them cool down for a day, then putting them in the freezer shucks and all. When I need them I pull them out shuck them warp them in plastic wrap and pop them in the microwave. Or partially shuck the end with the silk to remove the silf them re-wrap them in the shucks and throw them on the grill. I have kept them for up to a year with no freezer burn.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have tomatoes going bad!

Is that the equivilent to duct taping an alcaholic to a chair and pouring booze down the sink?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat1958 View Post
    Winnie how are you putting up your sweet corn? My family loves corn on the cob and I have started pulling the ears, spreading them out on the floor to let them cool down for a day, then putting them in the freezer shucks and all. When I need them I pull them out shuck them warp them in plastic wrap and pop them in the microwave. Or partially shuck the end with the silk to remove the silf them re-wrap them in the shucks and throw them on the grill. I have kept them for up to a year with no freezer burn.
    Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I have tomatoes going bad!

Is that the equivilent to duct taping an alcaholic to a chair and pouring booze down the sink?
    Well Swamprat, I don't have enough room to grow my own sweetcorn, so I dehydrate frozen. Bear in mind I only have a small freezer and I love sweetcorn too. But there are things I would rather have in the freezer, like meat, beans, pies and sauces etc.

KYR I would guess so!

There, there Winnie, I think it is ok . Just don't make any sudden moves. You will be the envy of the neighborhood
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Over Taxed Under Paid Swamprat1958's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Well Swamprat, I don't have enough room to grow my own sweetcorn
    It is a shame you don't have room to grow it or a large enough freezer to keep it in afterward. I have about 200 ears in my freezer along with, 9 gallons of blackberries, two gallons of peaches and 5 gallons of salsa from my garden.
    You are way ahead of me on canning. I guess I need to try canning again, my first two attempts at canning were dismal failures. As for dehydrating it has been limited to apples, bananas, peppers, onions and making jerky.

Winnie, just letting you know an additional freezer doesn't help. It just leads to more preserving! <just picked up a small additional freezer, so I know. I know.>

Blog Entries

I don't do anything fancy on the canning front. I did try pie fillings last year and they were OK, but I haven't bothered again. This year I've stuck to fruit. I can't get hold of a pressure canner so no veg or meat canning. The veg I've dehydrated have turned out well (apart from the first batch of sweetcorn!)
    I have a 1/2 and 1/2 fridge/freezer so space is very limited, I save it for stuff I really can't store any other way. I need another freezer. Did I already say that?

Oh and just so you know, I dehydrated 2lbs tomato slices, they 1/2 fill a 1lb jar! Not to worry though, I'll have loads more tomatoes ready in the next few days.

That's just the start. The next thing you know there's only one place left to sit in the house. The rest of the space is taken up by freezers, the breaker box is on the verge of frying and you find yourself on the next edition of Hoarders. Oh, the humanity!

Oh........ you said Preservaholic. Nevermind.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel