Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knife Sheath Project

I had to give you some rep for the tutorial. That's an outstanding project. Not only is it a good looking sheath, it looks professional...done or not.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I finished up the sheath today. After the leather had dried enough to sand I used a disc on a die grinder to even layers of leather where seams don’t match up perfect.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Then I burned all the edges with soldering iron to seal leather. After burning I lightly sand edges with Scotch Brite pad to smooth them.

I use a foam brush to apply Neets Foot oil. With each coat it gets darker.

The thick laminated and built up loop holds knife in perfect position and adds stiffness to case.

One change I made to my original plan was not to use clasp. Wet forming develops such a good fit I seldom need them and the fit of this sheath is perfect. I will probably apply a few more coats of Neets foot oil next week to further darken to blend in with the woods better.

As you can see I don't have much invested in tools and if you had any idea how much I don't know about leather working you would feel more than confident to do a project like this yourself. It would take less time to earn the money and buy something like this if you could find it. In a case where things are hard to find I could easily spend more time looking for it than making it. It was worth the time to have exactly what I want.
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 02-03-2011 at 03:07 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Very nice.......very nice indeed.

Blog Entries

Looks very good!
    Survival is not about surviving AGAINST the nature. It's about surviving WITH the nature.

You can't go in to nature, nature is not a place or an object. Nature just is. You are living it.

Nice work!

Thanks guys. I know I sure like it a lot better than the original issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    ........ It would take less time to earn the money and buy something like this if you could find it. In a case where things are hard to find I could easily spend more time looking for it than making it. It was worth the time to have exactly what I want.
    I have found that if knife and sheath makers were paid by the hour - it would make pay in some third world countries look inviting.

Very nicely done - and like you said, now you have exactly what you want and the way you want it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Outstanding......!
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Nice sheath.

Is that ring just for a leg tie or does it have some other purpose?

From the OP -
    I also made a pouch to hold a wet stone and on the bottom will have a loop for tying on pack straps and hanging it or things from it. Parts are still wet from forming.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

good job crash
    Its the bits between birth and death that define a life well lived.

To say I like it would be an understatement. You have given me a little more courage to tackle the sheath project I have been thinking about (and already bought leather for) for a while. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    To say I like it would be an understatement. You have given me a little more courage to tackle the sheath project I have been thinking about (and already bought leather for) for a while. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    There are several guys here that work with leather so If you start your project and post pictures I'm sure you'll get all the help you need.

Banned

WOW,, That looks GREAT AS ! I like that Knife too .

I think I will like it too but its first real test in the field will come later this week.

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    I finished up the sheath today. After the leather had dried enough to sand I used a disc on a die grinder to even layers of leather where seams don’t match up perfect.

Then I burned all the edges with soldering iron to seal leather. After burning I lightly sand edges with Scotch Brite pad to smooth them.

I use a foam brush to apply Neets Foot oil. With each coat it gets darker.

The thick laminated and built up loop holds knife in perfect position and adds stiffness to case.

One change I made to my original plan was not to use clasp. Wet forming develops such a good fit I seldom need them and the fit of this sheath is perfect. I will probably apply a few more coats of Neets foot oil next week to further darken to blend in with the woods better.

As you can see I don't have much invested in tools and if you had any idea how much I don't know about leather working you would feel more than confident to do a project like this yourself. It would take less time to earn the money and buy something like this if you could find it. In a case where things are hard to find I could easily spend more time looking for it than making it. It was worth the time to have exactly what I want.
    Alaska S. this is a nice project, well done. I believe everyone should do a leather project at least once in their life. Something they can use, anything that they can put a little sweat into. The satisfaction on completion is well worth it.

These days we see most outdoor gear made from synthetics. It's understandable but not as satisfying as a leather knife sheath, belt, or possibles bag.

My grand dad would cut off old shoe leather and save it for projects. Leather is very durable and even if the toes are cured up on an old boot, the leather can be cleaned and oiled to make it usable for many projects.

Everyone should do a leather project and show it off.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com