Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chinese Military Shovel WJQ-308

It does look like a solid design. But the grappling hook bits looked like a stretch to me. And it didn't look like it opened a can very well. But for french fries it can't be beat. LOL! Watch those fingers.

I didn't even know the Chinese ate French Fries. Wouldn't they be Chinese Fries?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Interesting tool if the quality is there.

I'm a strong believer in the US E-Tool. I used mine just the other day to dig a fire pit in bone dry clay. I used it as a pick and it worked great. The civilian version isn't as strong as the military one.

While serving in the US Marines I dug holes in some of the finest counties around the world. I highly recommend the E-Tool.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

You could open the video by cutting through a barbed wire fence into a cattle ranch. Then use the blade to attack the neck of a calf. Then use the shield function to defend yourself against the bull(s).

Then you could demonstrate its functionality in cutting and procuring branches, cordage and bandage material to compress and splint your wounds.

Then you could butcher your calf and grill tenderloin in pan fry mode. Before finally entrenching and attempting to use the shield once again against the ranchers varmint gun.

If I wanted a dull knife or saw I would just use one I have to dig a hole in the dirt. I like the idea of the grapple and some of the other features. Quality of manufacture would make a big difference. I would have to see one but if I do I'll know something about now. Thanks for video.

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    You could open the video by cutting through a barbed wire fence into a cattle ranch. Then use the blade to attack the neck of a calf. Then use the shield function to defend yourself against the bull(s).

Then you could demonstrate its functionality in cutting and procuring branches, cordage and bandage material to compress and splint your wounds.

Then you could butcher your calf and grill tenderloin in pan fry mode. Before finally entrenching and attempting to use the shield once again against the ranchers varmint gun.
    lol. You sick MFer. Btw, my magic shovel has reached NY. It's officially in the US!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    If I wanted a dull knife or saw I would just use one I have to dig a hole in the dirt. I like the idea of the grapple and some of the other features. Quality of manufacture would make a big difference. I would have to see one but if I do I'll know something about now. Thanks for video.
    If it seems promising, maybe a group of us could get together and buy one, and do one of those pass-it-around things.
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

Got it! Have not really used it yet.

First impressions...

It seems to be very solidly made. The base (the part that is bolted to the wooden handle) appears to be made out of solid metal, no seams. The metal of the hinge is quite thick as well, as is the shovel blade. The shovel blade appears to be welded to the hinge, not sure if that's a weak point or not, maybe you guys can tell me. The pin that bolts the base to the wooden handle could be a little thin, hard to tell. Seems like it would be easy to replace it with a thicker pin, if I chose to. The shovel blade rotates on the hinge to several different preset positions, and then locks in place with a bolt you screw in. It is not a tension lock, but an actual bolt that goes through various position holes in the metal hinge. The one real surprise is that the position bolt does not go all the way through the position holes, but just far enough in to lock the blade in place. Perhaps this is a design weakness? Not sure. Again, seems like it would be easy to replace this with a bolt that goes all the way through, if I chose. The reason it doesn't go all the way through, it so it takes less time to unscrew the adjusting bolt, and fold the shovel into different positions.

Let's see... another "function show" they didn't advertise: The blade has two different sized octoganal holes in it, meaning it can also be used as a wrench!

There is a hole drilled into the end of the handle, maybe a centimeter in diameter, that goes maybe 4 inches up into the handle. If you chose, you could probably store a few small items in there, and stop up the hole with a small cork.

The shovel does not come with a carrying pouch. I ended up buying a surplus Vietnam-era entrenching tool pouch, which fits pretty well. I did have to cut a slot in the pouch flap for the hinge wheel, so that the flap could snap closed.

So far, I like it! But I have not subjected it to any real punishment yet.
    Last edited by sgtdraino; 09-23-2010 at 09:31 AM.
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

What does it weigh?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    What does it weigh?
    My scale is not very precise. The shovel is advertised to weigh 2.2lbs, I would say that is pretty accurate. I think it weighs about the same as my machete.

wow, i got to the end of this thread, hoping for a spectacular finale, and it died. has anyone else bought and tested this thing?

p.s. if you remove the handle, you lose about a pound. for a new handle, use a trusty walking stick?

I still have mine, and it still works great! The only function I haven't really tested, is the grappling hook function where you actually support all your weight on the shovel. I saw a video of some kids on youtube doing it though, and it held them just fine.

All the other stuff, works great, holds up great. Most recently I use it to excavate a busted pipe leading into our house. I used a full sized shovel as well, but the chinese shovel did probably half the work. Pipe was 6 ft down, and it took a few tries before I could figure out which section the leak was coming from.

You forgot the most important part........"But wait....."

i finally got mine in. i failed to see that there is a screw that allows change out. so i went looking for a hitch pin or something for quicker changes. the 'ax' was thick but dull. i took my angle grinder to it making a hollow grind. works ok. metal is +/- as hard as a machete. it forms flash when ground. possibly the blade is too thick or not being used to the way she handles is the culprit. my dad decided to dig up and remove a redbud stump from the sidewalk. what better way to test? 1' trunk, 2 feet down plus concrete and 'filler'. in chopping some of the smaller roots and 'stalks?' the head bent a bit. still usable, slightly catches as you pivot open and closed. detent/ball catch has been removed. the finish is still great. the wood was wet so the saw clogged but stayed working. handle length provides good leverage. on a side note, i did hang from the handle which was grappled to a kids swingset/clubhouse. did not feel any movement in the mechanism/handle. as a seat it's comfortable (if you remember it's a one legged stool!) the nail puller is tiny, smaller than the older style finish nails. more like picture hanging nail sized.

I don't know if any of y'all saw the Doomsday Preppers show where they bought a dead pig and "attacked" it with a tool like this......I guess to show it's use as a weapon.
    Last edited by hunter63; 11-04-2012 at 07:00 PM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

it's called the crovel and at 5+lbs, not something to attach to your backpack.

update, having used mine for around the house for a few months, the blade appears to be fracturing at the normal spot. only really been used for gardening. i figured with the shortened handle (vs other shovels), that this would take far longer.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I don't know if any of y'all saw the Doomsday Preppers show where they bought a dead pig and "attacked" it with a tool like this......I guess to show it's use as a weapon.
    Are you sure that wasn't a zombie pig

Made an account just to let anybody searching for this shovel know that I had the typical breakage occur after about 5 or 6 strikes on some old, soft, dead wood, using the sharpened edge. I, too, bought mine from the "fresh tea" seller on ebay.
    IMG_20140515_125712 (Medium).jpg

Chinese Military Shovel Army Shovel WJQ-308 WJQ 308
    Last edited by inchoneb; 05-14-2014 at 11:14 PM.

It seems a bit of a stretch to say it broke on "old, soft, dead wood". Punky stuff is pretty soft. Still, if it did break it was probably a soft wood like pine. Replace it with a hard wood handle like hickory and you should be good to go. It should only take, "ten minute. Numma four, ten minute".....I slay myself.