Thread: picked up a couple sleds

Default picked up a couple sleds

Wasn't sure where to post this, figured here in survival products is as good a place as any. Anyhoo went camping last weekend and a fella there had a extra USGI "ahikio" (sp) in good shape for 50 dollars. I thought that was a pretty good deal, been looking for one but just couldn't bring myself to spend the going rate on the internet. Then a 1986 ski doo tundra showed up and I ended up buying that. It's great in deep snow, one lunger, not a whole lot of electronics. That all sounds good and it works and runs good too. The USGI sled is a hand sled so I wont be pulling it with the snowmachine. Instead I'll work up a nice sled of sorts with a good hitch. The ski doo is weird though. The cowling is orange rather than yellow, doesn't make a diff on operation though. Just haven't seen a orange ski doo. Now to find time to monkey with these things.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Nice finds.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have always wanted one of those there USGI sleds. Good find.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I remember back in the early 70s we used to pull ahkios (sp) behind the snowmachine. Don't remember now how we had the hitch rigged up. The sled I use now is one that I made using UHMW plastic sheeting. it is fantastic in deep snow off trail. It is fashioned after "Northern Sled Works" "Siglin Sled". I built this one back in 2007 and it is still going strong. I recently came across a forum thread that would be very helpful for anyone wanting to build these sleds. If anyone is interested, I can post a link to that thread. Good luck with whatever you decide. My son had one of those tundras and loved it.

You can post a link after you have 10 posts. It's one of the ways we keep spam down.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks for the comments. I'm thinking about making a drawbar hitch of sorts from a couple 6 foot fiberglass electric fence posts. I'll probably use the sled for a hand sled. I've pulled different sleds with the snowmachine. A car hood can be handy as a sled at times. I also have a "dogsled" looking sled. I've used this as a work sled. This type of sled is handy because it's easy for a extra fella to ride on the back standing up. This leaves the sled open for cargo.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

There are some really good tutorials on building a pulk/sled. They might give you some ideas on how to build the tongue. Just google "pulk sled plans" and you'll get tons of hits. Here's a couple for you.

http://webpages.charter.net/bghouse/SkiPulk/

http://www.landofrath.com/the-buildi...f-my-diy-pulk/
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Default I'm impressed

I took the tundra out for a trail breaking test and it did a fine job. The snowmachines I've owned in the past would get stuck pretty easy. This one done well, I'm sure there are other rigs that do good or even better. For now this one will fill my needs.

Rick, Thanks for the links.

I ended up needing a couple new wear bars for the skis. There was none readily available locally so I welded a chunk of re bar on the old wear bar. This worked out well and bought me some time to order a couple wear bars in.

As I'm hot rodding (LOL) this ski doo I came across a link from Marty. Of course mine is not a tundra II

http://www.alaskatrappers.org/storie..._tundra_2.html

I just found on this forum a vehicle sub forum, I don't know if this thread should be moved there or not.

We were playi,g with sleds this year for snow camping, but snowfall was patchy. Got some good experience outta it, was able to carry gear on a sled so our personal weight stayed down closer to 200, which is the rating for our snowshoes. The shoes that will work for 300lbs cost about $150. This year we just played with snow discs, next year we'll try fabbing something on the trail (while not breaking any laws by cutting fresh wood).

Snow camping kikz ***