View Poll Results: Which blade is too long for general camp work...?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • 7"

6 30.00%
  • 9"

5 25.00%
  • 11"

7 35.00%
  • If you can lift it, then go for it, no blade is too long.

3 15.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How "BIG" of a knife, before I revert to "NEWBIE" status.......?

We do some panning here. We don't have anything like you folks. Mostly placer gold. There is a guy that comes up from New Mexico and runs a small highbanker where we pan on Salt Creek. Some nice diamonds have been taken out of Salt Creek and well as many rubies. We haven't found any diamonds but we have found some junk rubies.

On the western side of the state where we pan they use 3 and 4 inch dredges.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I want an axe then. If the knife is big enough not to be stressed by that kind of work it is wasted metal.

I prefer my Old hickory 6" buther knives for hog dressing, which has nothing to do with camping. Unless I am hog hunting, and the last time I did that I dressed it out with a Mora and hauled it home in the truck for processing.
    It has everything to do with the way we camp and hunt. It is our heritage and a tradition in our neck of the woods and for many families. You never hunted hogs with a knife? your missing out if not IMO !

Wasted metal , hmmm , to some maybe, however you would be outnumbered here. Smaller knives are defiantly safer for those not skilled with the larger versions. We ween the kids on them
    Its the bits between birth and death that define a life well lived.

Way off topic but I do carry a black plastic pan in my kit. I can't help but check spots that look good when I am out and it is great for warming water in the sun and used as a wash pan, shaving, etc.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Ours are very similar but green. I find myself looking for magnetite every time I get near a stream.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I would post a thread about gold but "Gold Fever" has brought many a men to ruin, hardly a survival strategy.

I am trying to decide between an ESEE-6 or ESEE Junglas for my camp work. But I could save money and just get a machete.

I've always wondered how well a meat cleaver would chop trees. Has anyone tried it?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by roar-k View Post
    I am trying to decide between an ESEE-6 or ESEE Junglas for my camp work. But I could save money and just get a machete.

The ESEE "Junglas" is one of the ones I am considering.

here's a big heavy knife, not real long though. good for chopping but not much good for intricate work <g>. I wanted to try out a martindale jungle knife for chopping brush but martindale discontinued the jungle knife.

most of the time I carry a 5 or 6 inch blade, could be a mora, trapspring knife or a USN sheath knife. I always carry a multi tool and a folding knife of some sort.

My last post on gold. I've strayed enough on Sourdough's thread.

Here's a pic of me getting ready to go panning. Having a little problem with my wallet in this photo.

I've begged you to stop doing that!

Rick, you just can't help it, can you?
    You seem to get better, and then...BAM...the Turrets takes over. I think I just might have to get Mrs. Rick on the case.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    here's a big heavy knife, not real long though. good for chopping but not much good for intricate work <g>. I wanted to try out a martindale jungle knife for chopping brush but martindale discontinued the jungle knife.

most of the time I carry a 5 or 6 inch blade, could be a mora, trapspring knife or a USN sheath knife. I always carry a multi tool and a folding knife of some sort.

That is exactly the tool I would like to own, exactly. Want to sell It........?
    Last edited by Sourdough; 09-02-2010 at 11:00 PM.

I seem to be knife happy. My EDC is a Spyderco Wayne Goddard. My old USMC issued K bar is my main belt knife and general all around working knife. I have also pack carried the Gerber Freeman Hunter with a four inch blade for the small stuff.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    That is exactly the tool I would like to own, exactly.
    That looks like the USMC Hospital Corpsman Knife.

The USMC Hospital Corpsman Knife was issued by the Marine Corps during World War II. It was a bolo type knife intended for clearing brush and for cutting wood for litters or shelter poles.

The USMC Hospital Corpsman Knife had an overall length of 16 1/2 inches with a blade that was 11 1/4 x 3 inches. The spoon tip blade was supplied both parkerized or bright. The wooden handle had either three or four flush rivets, steel, iron or brass. The left face of the blade was stamped with "USMC" and the manufacturer identity. (Some genuine knives may not have the USMC marking or the manufacturer name.)

These manufacturers have been identified as makers of the USMC Hospital Corpsman Knife:

•Briddell
    •Chatillion
    •Clyde Cutlery Co.
    •Fayette R. Plumb
    •Village Blacksmith

This is a site for infomration only as no items are listed for sale and i have no interest in this site. http://www.olive-drab.com/od_edged_w..._usmc_hosp.php

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    My last post on gold. I've strayed enough on Sourdough's thread.

Here's a pic of me getting ready to go panning. Having a little problem with my wallet in this photo.

Nice touch with matching headband and socks.

there is an appropriate camp use for any size of knife. i selected 11 inches only because that is getting into a range of knives that are no longer suitable for some tasks.

a machete, or 'sword bowie' is not a practical thing to try fine, single handed control of the tip with, in my experience. on the other hand a sturdy 7-9" blade will usually still do a reasonable amount of the work at both ends of the usage spectrum conveniently.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Nice touch with matching headband and socks.
    I am sending you both the therapy bill
    Its the bits between birth and death that define a life well lived.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    That looks like the USMC Hospital Corpsman Knife.

The USMC Hospital Corpsman Knife was issued by the Marine Corps during World War II. It was a bolo type knife intended for clearing brush and for cutting wood for litters or shelter poles.

The USMC Hospital Corpsman Knife had an overall length of 16 1/2 inches with a blade that was 11 1/4 x 3 inches. The spoon tip blade was supplied both parkerized or bright. The wooden handle had either three or four flush rivets, steel, iron or brass. The left face of the blade was stamped with "USMC" and the manufacturer identity. (Some genuine knives may not have the USMC marking or the manufacturer name.)

These manufacturers have been identified as makers of the USMC Hospital Corpsman Knife:

•Briddell
    •Chatillion
    •Clyde Cutlery Co.
    •Fayette R. Plumb
    •Village Blacksmith

This is a site for infomration only as no items are listed for sale and i have no interest in this site. http://www.olive-drab.com/od_edged_w..._usmc_hosp.php

I have always wondered How thick the blade is: They seem like 7/16" or 3/8".

SD, please do not get the SP8. You'll hate it.

here's what I would suggest.
    http://www.uparchery.com/product_inf...roducts_id=249

If it doesn't do what you want. I'll buy it from you at your full cost.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.