View Poll Results: Which blade is too long for general camp work...?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • 7"

6 30.00%
  • 9"

5 25.00%
  • 11"

7 35.00%
  • If you can lift it, then go for it, no blade is too long.

3 15.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How "BIG" of a knife, before I revert to "NEWBIE" status.......?

I like a large knife for wood processing but the rest of the time I'd say 4"-6" is fine. I have a RAT 7 and really like it. Despite the comments made here about the SP8 it's been my primary go-to blade for batonning for a long time. So far I haven't found anything that has dethroned it yet.

Hmm, you are the first person I ever met that likes it and uses it. Does you SP8 perform better now than when it was new?
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

After watching the vids in this thread - http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ck-Fire-making - I will never buy one.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Seemed to be working ok for him. My main complaint with it was the very short abrupt grind. At the time I was selling the entire spec plus line and I still consider them a best value knifewise.

Well, one I sold injured the user enough for several stitches because of user error and "it just wouldn't stick into the wood" he was cutting. I didn't understand him either so I tried it out. It had a tendency to glance off wood at the angle you would use to sharpen, with a chopping motion, a piece of wood. The weight distribution and mass of the SP8 made the glance off the wood into a violent affair tht damn near broke your wrist.

My SP5, on the other hand, with it's full flat grind, ate wood at any angle.

Knives are a very personal tool though. A guy can actually find a knife that matches their individual technique if he looks hard enough.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

A knife that is larger than you need to chop an oncoming grizzly bear in half from stem to stern in one chop at full gallop is overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by beetlejuicex3 View Post
    One feels a little more 'secure' with a fixed blade, but more than 6" gets unwieldy for the small tasks. Now, if you're talking about a straight up long term survival set up: fixed blade + multitool.
    In the kitchen I frequently find myself using a large (8" or 10") chefs knife for small work, such as cutting the eyes out of a potato with a circular motion. I just wrap my fist around the back of the blade near the tip and use my thumb for depth control. The paring knives are lonelier than the maytag repairman. I will also do this with a steak knife size (if it is the largest knife I will need to prepare, and eat, a trivial meal) but this requires holding the fist and fingers at an angle because the blade is not as wide. A really heavy knife would be ungainly to use this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    OK, Rick sheepishly let out that he owns a RAT-7. Now I want a BIG Tool also. I feel inadequate in the tool area. However I don't want to go so long of a tool, that I am laughed at as a "Newbie".

So, yes 4" to 6" is a good blade length for "General" camp/outdoor work. But is there any justification for a 8"/9"/10" or longer blade on a fixed blade knife...????

Maybe a Ontario RTAK-II for quasi-machete, and camp work......? http://wilsonswilderness.webs.com/pr...eviews2010.htm (See review # (6) SIX)

So.......how long of a blade is too long....??? (Note: Assume you would also have with you a 3 1/2" to 6" knife).
    I like my Helle knife. The blade is 3 7/8 and for me is the perfect length. I also like the RAT-3. I consider 4 inches my max length. Another fellow I know does everything he needs with a bolo machete.