Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: whats your weight?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

My Bug Out Pack comes to around 4,700 pounds. I can hitch up to it and be out of sight in about 5 minutes.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    My Bug Out Pack comes to around 4,700 pounds. I can hitch up to it and be out of sight in about 5 minutes.
    heh. sometimes the quickest way to bug out of your home is to haul it away with you.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

My average weight is 43lbs for a 3 day(3 season) trip. (That's wet weight, fully loaded with 3 days food and 4 liters water). With a base weight of 28lbs. I have a few older and heavier items that I will replace at some point that will shave off a few more lbs.

I have found that I can get my pack down to about 20lbs if I really strip it down, but I prefer a higher level of comfort and versatility normally so I just carry the extra few lbs.

Welcome, RadiantBurrito. Why not radiate over to our introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself? Here's a template for your convenience.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=7813
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

3 litres of water and only dry food for a week or so, 35-40 lbs with bed roll, tent and wool blanket. I can't get a good weight on it but my wool blanket is the heaviest item at 5-10 lbs or more.

I rarely carry that much though and my pack right now is only 20.2 lbs. with 3 litres of water, no bed roll, tent or wool blanket, just a thin plastic tarp and a thin poly blanket. I haven't used this setup to sleep overnight, but could if needed albeit somewhat uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    this is the bloated version, and i would pick and choose from it, but when it had all this stuff, it would usually be packed up and handy.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

the dry-bags are great, and they'll hold a lot of drinking water if they need to.
    Canid answered Benesse well with his selection of tools. A knife, hatchet, saw and shovel should be the basis of all survival packs and the larger those items the more capable you'll be but even small tolls will accomplish the job just take much longer to do it. Long term you want to make sure you have some of the things needed to maintainingg your equipment. A file, sharpening stone, needles, gun cleaning kit, spare flints, wicks, flashlight bulbs, stuff like that. Think from the perspective of what you can build with your tools and what materials will be available in an area. Things that would be difficult to make should be brought with you. For example making a roof that does not leak can be one of those difficult things so I include a tarp. I would like to see the forum begin to demonstrate more in the use of tools and demonstrat some of the camp craft the have made using thier tools. You can do a lot with the basic knife,saw,hatchet and shovel.

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you had to ask...

Hmm, there's 12 tons for the large RV...sorry AT, I don't backpack, but I got some big packs if I wanted too. I have smaller packs for general hiking, however I don't weigh them. I fill them, try them on, & if they feel too heavy I take them off & change some things. Right now my Maxpedition Falcon II is my favorite.
    Last edited by Sarge47; 09-02-2010 at 07:47 AM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

How do you like your Navigator? I have the Pointman and Mollex.

I really like my Navigator, I prefer panel load packs because I load my pack with interchangeable modules that I can pull out and pop in as the seasons, weather or what ever dictates. But having the E&E dock to it make it even better.
    I know what hunts you.

sarge your failing me buddy. im starting to branch out into the minimalist world. and trying to get a feel for the waters.
    Jesus is my king.

Canid, BTW I have the same 22 rifle. Real tack drivers. The weather here can be hard on a rifle and in the winter build frost on them so I use a scabbard. The one I use is MOLLE designed for shotguns but is also a perfect fit for the 22 and my model 92 lever action. It makes for a great case and can be strapped any where. Mine cost 40 dollars and I consider it a good investment. It sure keeps the rifle both handy and protected.

rifle is accurate enough, but there is a design flaw in the action, where the action is terminated by the L in the slide arm. the inside of this L is radiused, and with wear, it allows the action to come just a hair too far back, and the feed arm raises too high. with the round coming in too high, and a squared chamber mouth, the bullets get mangled and sometimes the feeding jams if you don't cycle it fast enough. i still need to braise the worn area, which should fix the problem.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I have not noticed any problems yet but I always work the action fast on levers and pumps. Just they way I was taught, rechamber fast after each shot incase you need it.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by ATough View Post
    sarge your failing me buddy. im starting to branch out into the minimalist world. and trying to get a feel for the waters.
    Ah youth! Pretty soon you'll be telling me that you're going out in the woods with nothing more than your knife & the clothes on your back! Seriously though, I'm very proud to see how much you've grown!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

wait..! we're allowed to take clothes out with our knives now?

Aaah, jeeze. I'll be the rest of the day gettin' that picture out of my head.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Aaah, jeeze. I'll be the rest of the day gettin' that picture out of my head.
    It would serve you right!
    I still suffer PTSS over that infamous thong pic.

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    How do you like your Navigator? I have the Pointman and Mollex.

I really like my Navigator, I prefer panel load packs because I load my pack with interchangeable modules that I can pull out and pop in as the seasons, weather or what ever dictates. But having the E&E dock to it make it even better.
    I do the same with my E&E. I have been thinking about getting a Koala for EDC instead of my E&E though. Still trying to make the decision on that.

If you wouldn't mind sharing pics of your internal setup that would be fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Ah youth! Pretty soon you'll be telling me that you're going out in the woods with nothing more than your knife & the clothes on your back! Seriously though, I'm very proud to see how much you've grown!
    i was thinking more just a webcam to film my adventures........ nothing else.
    Jesus is my king.

but im starting to see how with some knowledge and some ingenuity, you can get by with far less gear. like using a tarp and hammock over a tent, cooking with just a pot and simple stove. all the fancy stuff is losing its shine.
    Jesus is my king.

Default Heavy Metal

The weight of packs goes through the roof with the addition of anything metal. I’m posting this as an example of just how fast it can happen. I use kits and have 3 that are my basic survival kits to prepare for my wife and daughter also. Each can stand on their own with the only real difference is in the amount of tools they carry. I described the basic gear in this thread http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...t=10041&page=3

The weights are 3.5 pounds, 10 pounds and 15 pounds.

I the lightest kit I use a Gerber short machete. Pound for pound one of the best tools I have found. Good for chopping poles up about 3 inches in size and while I would not consider the practical for sawing firewood it is practical for sawing and shaping wood, bone and antlers. I choose Swiss Army knives over multi tools I’ve seen simply because it seems more geared to things I need to do in a wilderness setting. Folding pocket shovel handle my digging chores although it would take a long time to dig a fox hole with it I find it very useful. Cook kit is a Swiss Army one that burns wood and saves carrying fuel. Maglight has some dense weight to it also.

The next kit takes a big step up in weight and you may notice the influence of my SERE trained friends. Maglight, Swiss Army Soldiers knife and a saw. Navy seals MK 3 Knife has a hammer built into it and grooves built into top of blade that I have been told was for removing paint to plant explosives but I have found it very useful for shaping material. Top rate knife in my book. Next is a Coleman pocket shovel and at 6 dollars out performs most shovels I’ve used. Gerber Pack Axe has a small knife built into handle. It looses a lot of leverage due to short handle but it makes it convenient to carry on belt and will out chop a machete. I use a small pack grill I cut down even smaller and a jumbo Sierra cup and use chopsticks rather than steel cutlery. I could live with out the grill but very handy.

The metal in my next kit takes total weight up to 15 pounds but gives me the capability to build a log cabin and other permanent amenities. Medium sized Wyoming saw with extra blades and file in case. Another Gerber ax but this one has a saw built into handle and longer handle makes it a much better chopping tool. They can make very accurate cuts pounding hammer side with a small log. The pocket knife would not impress anybody. I bought it from a bucket by a cash register on sale for 4.99 but in 20 years of use on the job has proven itself to me. I added some key chain sized tools to equal it to my Swiss army knives. I up graded to a 3 cell LED Maglight. The beam is not as focused as standard Maglight but shines just as far. Maglights can be unscrewed and the lens used as a base to make a lantern. This one throws enough light to be considered practical. Ontario Kabar type knife, sharp and durable. I have a Gerber shovel but to be honest I am bit disappointed and will be replacing it. Heavy for it’s usefulness, I can do better. This kit has the same cook kit previously shown.

The 15 pound kit also includes the maintenance items. Gun cleaning kit with enough tool to disassemble weapons, Leather working and sewing kit, and spare parts like flints, wicks and light bulbs. One thing I forgot to show is a sharpening stone that I keep in each kit with a zippo and extra fluid.

I know a lot is made of skills, experience and learning from mentors and survival experts but you will be surprised what you can accomplish with a few tools, some creativity and a lot of trial and error the way I learned. The moral of this post is METAL is HEAVY! Apply more critical thinking to metal objects you carry.
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 09-02-2010 at 06:17 PM.