Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: whats your weight?

Default whats your weight?

On average how much does your pack weigh? and what type of pack do you use? mine generally weighs about 25 pounds for a 3-5 day trek without water and i use my osprey eather 60.
    Jesus is my king.

I have several packs.

Hiking........................3.5 pounds
    Survival pack..............10 pounds
    Survival pack
    with extra tools...........15 pounds
    Camping Back pack.......20 pounds
    Boat portage pack........30 pounds
    Pack board..................Varies

I have various kits that can attach to these packs for different activities ranging from 2 pounds to 8 pounds.

200 lbs woot woot I lost 30 lbs in 3 months. Oh my pack weight...oops.
    Every Day Carry Bag- 5 lbs
    Day Hike Bag- 15 lbs
    Bug Out Bag- 45 lbs
    All these are estimates. Important thing is I can comfortably carry them with everything I need, or think I need any way.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
    200 lbs woot woot I lost 30 lbs in 3 months. Oh my pack weight...oops.
    Every Day Carry Bag- 5 lbs
    Day Hike Bag- 15 lbs
    Bug Out Bag- 45 lbs
    All these are estimates. Important thing is I can comfortably carry them with everything I need, or think I need any way.
    I used a bathroom scale. I think you can get within a couple pounds of accurate that way.

Don't have one because the wife doesn't want to see her weight all the time.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

i try to keep my load appropriate, but for most purposes, between 5 and 25lb.

i wouldn't want to carry more than 40lb any great distance. i'm down to around 130 these days.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

If we covered this question elsewhere (which in part I'm sure we have), please disregard it here. But...(hope this is not like the best knife question) if you had only one "survival" pack (like I do) to see you through a couple weeks on foot and give you enough tools to help you with survival beyond that, what would it contain in broad terms? Would you say, carry a tent/sleeping bag?
    I know it would be dependent on the area of the country (AK vs AZ, city vs. rural, etc.) but in the course of the journey you might cover a lot of different ground.

B - as long as your pack covers the essentials for you in your area you should be OK.
    Shelter, fire, water, navigation, first aid, food, light, signaling, etc. That list will vary from person to person, and certainly for climate and time of the year.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Differentiate between a pack and a BOB. One can certainly be the other but here they are talking about something more specialized; hiking, hunting, ATV, etc.

To your question, a BOB should cover the basics at the very least. A way to treat water, a way to provide shelter, a way to make fire, and given where you are a way to protect yourself. Food may be another consideration depending on the reason for your BOB.

A tent would be good if you can carry it. A tarp can perform a similar function, however.

EDIT: I was typing when you posted.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I really need to get lighter gear. I have Kifaru packs which are beasts and weigh quite a bit. I think for my last 3 day trip my pack weight around 45 lbs. Of course that's with 5 liters of water and food for 3 days + extra.

The bag in my car that has food and water and a shelter is around 10 lbs.

I still need to make a BOB.

Guess we will see what happens over the next year.
    Last edited by roar-k; 08-31-2010 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    If we covered this question elsewhere (which in part I'm sure we have), please disregard it here. But...(hope this is not like the best knife question) if you had only one "survival" pack (like I do) to see you through a couple weeks on foot and give you enough tools to help you with survival beyond that, what would it contain in broad terms? Would you say, carry a tent/sleeping bag?
    I know it would be dependent on the area of the country (AK vs AZ, city vs. rural, etc.) but in the course of the journey you might cover a lot of different ground.
    Our thumbs and the ability to use tools are a big advantage in the wilderness. You can only carry so many clothes. With a needle what can you do? With a knife you carve a spindle and knitting needles. The amount of clothes are endless. A small shovel and some seed will provide and endless supply of food. A tent is not a very durable shelter and you can't carry a house on your back but you can build a cabin with an axe.

To think of anything less than perminent survival is rather short sighted. What are you going to do in 3 days? a week? a month? next winter? I tried to start a thread posing the question "What can you do with your knife?". It went nowhere. I may be the only one thinking this way. You asked a good question and I will address it in more specific detail in the next few days and demonstrate some of the things that can be done with some basic hand tools. What most survival bags cover is what I call camping. I will show you the difference. I have that work thing to attend to now.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    this is the bloated version, and i would pick and choose from it, but when it had all this stuff, it would usually be packed up and handy.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

the dry-bags are great, and they'll hold a lot of drinking water if they need to.
    Last edited by canid; 08-31-2010 at 10:08 AM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Default What do you guys think about this hammock?

Is is worth considering? I am intrigued but just don't have enough experience (a$$ in the hammock) to evaluate it properly.

http://hennessyhammock.com/sp-soldiers.html

I love hennessy hammocks. My next purchase will be one of them. Buy the snake skins if you are going to purchase one!

I've heard a lot of good things about Hennesy Hammocks. Batch just got one and used it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

A.S. I can see where you're going with that. When you get a chance do flesh it out.
    It's the question I ask myself when I have that $25-50 to add something to the pile. What can I get with this that will give me a lot of other things that I won't have to buy. Or should I save it til I have that next $25-50 and get this thing over here that'll do away with 3 other things.
    I'm focusing right now on food preps mostly.
    There's also the possibility of accidental loss.
    What do you fall back on if you lose a piece of your equipment. Do you have some form of redundancy? ie What happens if you lose/break your axe?
    Last edited by LowKey; 08-31-2010 at 08:43 PM.

With 3 liters of water and 14 days of food, my pack weighs in at 65 lbs. It is a Kifaru Navigator and has the Kifaru E&E pack docked to it. I can carry up to 10 liters of water in the 2 hydration bladders and 1 nalgene bottle.
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    To think of anything less than perminent survival is rather short sighted. What are you going to do in 3 days? a week? a month? next winter?

I think overlooking short term survival situations is also short sighted,in my case, odds are higher I will have to evacuate for a few days because of a flood or fire or a gas leak from a train crash, etc than they are for me to have to leave forever.

I'm interested in what you have to show for gear and what you use it for but I think there is real merit to having a lightweight and ready pack to get you out in a hurry if the need to do so comes up.

To answer the OP, my BOB weighs (depending on the season) between 25 and 40 lbs. This is just a guess. The current one is a frameless and molle compatible unit I picked up from sportsmans guide. I switched to it from my L.L.Bean internal framed pack because this one rides better on my back. I dont think it would handle the same weights as the other but it can hold my winter gear just fine and I still have the other pack if I ever add to much gear for this one.

Hennessey Hammocks are pricy, but pretty great. my setup is a good bit simpler, and the hammock was $20.

as far as packs, the big compass pack in my picture is sitting somewhere at the top of a mountain in the sierra foothills, with my water bladder, one of my knives, one of my drybags, a blanket and a pouch of bugler to keep it company.

now i have a cheap, older expernal frame jansport.
    Last edited by canid; 08-31-2010 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    With 3 liters of water and 14 days of food, my pack weighs in at 65 lbs. It is a Kifaru Navigator and has the Kifaru E&E pack docked to it. I can carry up to 10 liters of water in the 2 hydration bladders and 1 nalgene bottle.
    How do you like your Navigator? I have the Pointman and Mollex.