Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Climbing Gear Kit

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    yeah, i'm not a fan of static line. they can actually make load bearing equipment that would otherwise hold fail in a fall.

http://www.spadout.com/w/climbing-ropes/
    I had not considered the added stress to other components. Good point! Reading, the vast majority of my climbing falls into the catagory of static rope applications. You've seen the line I use on Deadliest Catch. It's tough and durable and I know well what to expext from it. I use it for other work related duties as well but after what you have said I think it prudent to spend the money on some good climbing rope for that specific application snd still use my ground line for most the climbing I do. It should last a long time that way. I'm a cheap guy but some of the places I have been hanging from has had me rethink the extra cost was not so much when considered from those heights. I get most my gear from REI. Would you trust them to steer me to the correct rope?

i'm from southeast; i've seen mainline rope.

what you want for any vertical climbing is dynamic dry climb line meant for single rope climbing. dry line is absolutely necessary for cold weather climbing, as ice frozen in the rope is dangerous.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by jgcoastie View Post
    The very first thing I would change is the type of carabiners that you're using. I will not use any connecting devices that are not auto-locking, period. It is a small increase in cost that buys you a huge gain in safety. I prefer these.

Overall, nice setup. I'm used to a fisk descender so I use one even though it is a good bit bulkier than most descenders on the market these days...
    I would like to hear more of the pro's and cons of auto-locking carabineers. For that matter I am always interested in design features and the mechanics of things I use. I gain more understanding that way.

they are a PITA to open when your hands are cold, but you can't forget to lock them and rope movement is much less likely to unlock them. aside from the risk i mentioned, that's about all i can think of.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    i'm from southeast; i've seen mainline rope.

what you want for any vertical climbing is dynamic dry climb line meant for single rope climbing. dry line is absolutely necessary for cold weather climbing, as ice frozen in the rope is dangerous.
    I am off to work now but wish to continue. Seems you are the guy I wanted to draw out of the wood work, you know your stuff. I would like some others to come forward that could carry on a conversation at your level. If that does not happen I'll be back in about 16 hours to ask more from my entry level perspective. Thanks for your help. This info could easily save my life or at least a broken leg.

I have climbing gear but it very seldom gets used. I better tell the story.

I was working for a friend of mine build a log cabin for his company. The cabin had a 9/12 pitch on the roof and the front of the cabin was sitting on a full day light basement. This required climbing gear to set the SIP's.

Now I am an avid hunter and one of the things I like to do is chase blackies in late summer and early fall. Here is western Washington the terrain can get quite steep and is generally quite brushy. I have seen several bears and elk for that matter dive down into the thickest and steepest holes you have ever seen after being shot.

I asked if I could buy my gear from him after the job was done and was allowed. I ended up with 4 carebiners, right and left ascenders, a figure 8, 300' of static rope, my safety harness and 50' of strap. Oh and a piece of fire hose as a edge protector.

I do not climb sheer cliffs or rock faces. What I wanted the gear for is to haul out game when the terrain was steep. Putting a pack on that is loaded down with meat and then trying to crawl out of a hole that has a 60 or 70 percent grade is tough. You are usually grabbing any piece of brush or tree that you can and working your way out. Tough job. I am hoping that the ascenders and rope will make this job a lot easier.

As you can tell I said hope, I have not had the opertunity to use this gear since I got it. That is a good thing, because if I have to use my gear it is going to be a very long day.

Now: Michigan, Previously: Alaska, California, North Carolina, Mississippi

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    I would like to hear more of the pro's and cons of auto-locking carabineers. For that matter I am always interested in design features and the mechanics of things I use. I gain more understanding that way.
    Basically, the auto-locking type of carabiners (some refer to it as double-action) require two seperate actions to open the gate. 1: Twist the sleeve that encompasses the gate approx 90 degrees. 2: Open the gate.

I have never seen or heard of the sleeve damaging the sheath of a line, but I guess pretty much anything is possible in a fall...

Yes, auto-locking connecting devices are a bit of a pain in the rear in cold weather, but as long as you're working/moving/etc, you should be able to feel your hands anyway. It is an added PITA that I am willing to accept.

Maybe I've been climbing too long for the CG, but I only use auto-locking/double-action connectors. I would bet my next paycheck that you could not find a standard carabiner (non-auto-locking) anywhere near my home or workplace.
    "They, the makers of the Constitution: conferred, as against the government, the right to be let alone - the most comprehensive of rights and the right most valued by civilized men. Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government’s purposes are beneficial. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but without understanding."
    - Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis, 1928

here is about the worst example of an auto-locking biner collar:
    http://www.bairstow.com/media/images/21001AS_M.jpg

note the square, non-radiused edges.

it doesn't seem to be a common problem, but one i was cautioned about when i started using them. since i've seen plenty of biners perfectly capable of inflicting such damage, i always keep it in mind.

AS: i'm not the most experienced climber out there, but i like to help when i can.

jq: does it count as a foul if i plant one?
    Last edited by canid; 08-29-2010 at 07:25 PM.

What are your thoughts on wire gate carabineers and practical uses for them? One problem I have is fumbling around with gear and that there does not seem to be enough room in the carabineers to open the gate as easy as I would like when they twisted. Are the triangular shaped ones any better in that reguard?

call me old-school, but i prefer an ATC for multi-function in ascending and rappelling

as for auto-locking beeners, i always use fingernail polish to paint so i know when it's closed and when it's not. i prefer to lock it myself and would never rely on a wire beener.
    ‎"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."

Quote Originally Posted by mountain mama View Post
    call me old-school, but i prefer an ATC for multi-function in ascending and rappelling

as for auto-locking beeners, i always use fingernail polish to paint so i know when it's closed and when it's not. i prefer to lock it myself and would never rely on a wire beener.
    I have been convinced by others on this thread to get actual climbing rope and will be trying out ATC then. I was told rope size matters with them which was my reasoning behind using figure 8.

The days are getting shorter so I’ve been putting together gear for the winter season. In the past I have just been strapping gear to the out side of pack or using pack board but this year I have a dedicated pack for the job. I have not thrown in rope or food yet but there is plenty of room left.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Contained in pack starting from the top is a Snow Claw used as shovel, snow anchor and flexible enough to be used as splint, the kit previously shown, I use both ice ax and ice tool together since it gives me more reach, Crampons and case needed to keep them from ripping pack, Avalanche probe used mostly checking snow bridges and depth of snow for digging snow cave, 2 reusable hand warmers and 4 Survival candles to heat and light snow cave.

Weight of kit not including rope is 13 pounds.

What kind of snowshoes do you use? A while back we talked about those military titanium ones that some of the sportsman sites have.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

These are mine

These are the ones I want

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/snowsh...ascent/product