Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Climbing Gear Kit

Default Climbing Gear Kit

Climbing Gear Kit

This is an area of interest for me but I am a complete novice and post this to start a conversation and pick your brains and learn from more experienced climbers. I started climbing while gold prospecting as a way to reach high banks of canyon walls. Later as crevasse rescue on glaciers. I’ve never had an interest in climbing tall mountain peaks or testing myself against the mountain. For some survivalists the wilderness is something to be rescued from or endured for a limited time but for me it is my refuge and civilization that needs to be escaped. From this perspective being able to over come obstacles using climbing gear will leave less prepared far behind. It makes more sense to me than arming myself to defend against marauding hoards. I use it to rappel steep banks down to water and back out. Sarge raised a legitimate concern on another thread about elderly and less able members of a group and climbing gear will aide their movement on grades that may not be challenging but very difficult for them. I use it to climb trees, haul equipment up steep grades and just this week end to climb on my roof to install a chimney. I hope you will see the value of this topic.

My ice climbing and snow gear is rather bulky and not included as it is rather bulky, and not always used together so I have this kit separate. Minus rope it all fits in this 6x6 MOLLE pouch.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Far left in the picture below I have a wired stopper set that is wedged into cracks in the rock as an anchor. There is also a tool to on the carabineer that holds them together to pry them out. This is a basic beginners set and there are larger sizes and other designs that are more expensive. At my level of climbing I just use wedge rocks into larger cracks and anchor to them. Next are my carabineers. There are many designs and the 2 top ones are D locking carabineers. They are stronger because load is carried off center putting less strain on gate that is the weak point. It has been suggested to me that all carabineers that carry your weight should be locking to prevent accidental opening. Below that is a locking oval carabineer. This can be used for rappelling or belay using a Munter hitch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munter_hitch) and is needed for use with my Tibloc ascender. The 2 below that have a standard gate that just swings open I use for speed like after a fall has been arrested. Next is a figure 8. It is used for rappelling and a belay device. This is old school and there are better designs available but my choice because it works with wider range of rope sizes. The large loop for fast rappelling and the small end used for slower more controlled descents. Below that is my climbing harness. Most dedicated climbers use padding on their climbing harness but on glaciers I wear heavy clothing but even on the short climbs I do I often wish I had some padding. Next are my ascenders for climbing rope. I love the Tibloc that is used with a carabineer for its light weight and small size. If a person is on a budget a prussic knot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prusik) will accomplish the same task but not as easy to use. Below that I have a pulley to double my strength to lift gear or possibly an injured companion.

I don’t always bring this kit but if I anticipate even a steep grade on a hike I will bring some rope, a couple carabineers and the Tibloc. These few items increase my capability tremendously.

I know how important it is to be able to climb rough terrain. Here comes the controversial part. This is why I rate Bear Grylles as the best survivalist because of his mobility.

Blog Entries

My climbing experience is limited to childhoods tree houses, but the gear sure looks nice...
    Survival is not about surviving AGAINST the nature. It's about surviving WITH the nature.

You can't go in to nature, nature is not a place or an object. Nature just is. You are living it.

I think it's a very valid thread. My climbing has been limited to poles but I can sure tell you the first rule. Never listen for the click of the rope in the carabiner. Make certain you SEE it. I've known guys that have snapped their safety to their lineman's pliers. Had they not looked to ensure it was in place they would have been in for a rude surprise.

That small amount of gear gives you a tremendous amount of options even aside from climbing. Those two carabiners and the triloc can be used with a rope to make a pulley system. Climbers call them a slack line but you can do the same thing vertically.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18qbgwCn2ZA

Here's one for a bear bag:

If it makes your life easier then go for it!!!!

Nice post.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Thank you Rick! Always useful info when not talking about knives! We really don't have any mountains or such here, barring Lapland, but that rule and the food sack idea is good to know. Offers a lot of applications. I was thinking of taking this repelling(rapelling?) course at some point, but they seem to want me to pay for it...
    Survival is not about surviving AGAINST the nature. It's about surviving WITH the nature.

You can't go in to nature, nature is not a place or an object. Nature just is. You are living it.

Not really sure what I'm looking at but it's cool. Never did any climbing nor had the desire, only thing I ever did was scale a few walls in Basic Training and a Pole for the "afraid of heights test" in Tech School. I passed by the way.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

that's a nice basic gear set. i would add some slings of various lengths. you don't need to use quickdraws [so you still save space] if you don't anticipate using all of them at once, but having various lengths of slings you can attatch to your pro with a cow hitch and one of your biners at the other end, you have the same ability to modify the angle of force in the event of a fall.

the extra couple of degrees of angle can make the difference between placement that will hold and placement that won't.

i don't get to climb these days and my gear sadly consists only of a harness and an ATC at present. i really miss big-tree climbing.
    Last edited by canid; 08-28-2010 at 09:06 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    that's a nice basic gear set. i would add some slings of various lengths. you don't need to use quickdraws [so you still save space] if you don't anticipate using all of them at once, but having various lengths of slings you can attatch to your pro with a cow hitch and one of your biners at the other end, you have the same ability to modify the angle of force in the event of a fall.

the extra couple of degrees of angle can make the difference between placement that will hold and placement that won't.

i don't get to climb these days and my gear sadly consists only of a harness and an ATC at present. i really miss big-tree climbing.
    What lenghts would you suggest? Could a daisy chain be used instead?

Nice kit, mine is similar. My figure 8 has ears (I prefer that type) and I have 2 pulleys. I noticed only 1 ascender, is that correct? I carry 2 in my kit. But then i've had to do free vertical ascents. Do you have a dedicated rope bag?
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    Nice kit, mine is similar. My figure 8 has ears (I prefer that type) and I have 2 pulleys. I noticed only 1 ascender, is that correct? I carry 2 in my kit. But then i've had to do free vertical ascents. Do you have a dedicated rope bag?
    The Tibloc serves as my second ascender. I guess I should admit it now, I use leaded 3/8 ground line left over from my commercial halibut longlining days. It's rated to 2600 pounds and I use it for skiding logs with my winch also. It's tough stuff and dirt and rain have no affect on it. There is no stretch to it. I am not recomending it nor do I have enough experience or knowledge to really suggest what kind of rope to use. I just have close to a mile of the stuff and can't see spending the money for climbing rope.

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you had to ask...

I don't climb! If there's no trees that means there's no Oxygen & no way to build a fire 'cuz there's no wood or O2. However, my kid brother has summited both Mt. Fuji in Japan & Mt. Kilimanjaro in S. Africa. He's been wanting to climb this one but the wife refuses to give permission: http://alpineascents.com/aconcagua.a...FZBd2god0mD0Qg

Be sure & take plenty of booze!
    Last edited by Sarge47; 08-29-2010 at 08:39 AM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

My brother in law has talked about wanting to climb that mountain. Way beyond my skill level or desire. Around here you often need climbing gear to get off the beach at sea level so it's not just for high altitutes. You don't want to drink at high altitute. It hits you like a ton of bricks!

between 6 and 24" would be good, though 6 and 12" are probably the most useful.

daisy chains are a great option, if the loops are load bearing.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

AS - I don't know anything about that rope but will tell you that ropes designed primarily for sport climbing must provide a soft catch and be durable, while not having too much elongation. Not having a soft catch capability can lead to some pretty serious injuries if you do happen to fall. You can certainly acquire them with climbing rope as well but, hopefully, you won't find that sudden stop quite so sudden with climbing rope. I do understand about the cost, by the way. You can easily pay out 3 bills for 150 feet.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    between 6 and 24" would be good, though 6 and 12" are probably the most useful.

daisy chains are a great option, if the loops are load bearing.
    Thanks, I'll try the slings the way you suggest first.

I have a small out cropping a 100 yards from the house to try stuff out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    AS - I don't know anything about that rope but will tell you that ropes designed primarily for sport climbing must provide a soft catch and be durable, while not having too much elongation. Not having a soft catch capability can lead to some pretty serious injuries if you do happen to fall. You can certainly acquire them with climbing rope as well but, hopefully, you won't find that sudden stop quite so sudden with climbing rope. I do understand about the cost, by the way. You can easily pay out 3 bills for 150 feet.
    I did some checking into it and honestly was getting confused. It seems they use different rope for different situations. And yes the price! I don't do long leads and stay snugged up pretty good.

yeah, i'm not a fan of static line. they can actually make load bearing equipment that would otherwise hold fail in a fall.

http://www.spadout.com/w/climbing-ropes/

Now: Michigan, Previously: Alaska, California, North Carolina, Mississippi

The very first thing I would change is the type of carabiners that you're using. I will not use any connecting devices that are not auto-locking, period. It is a small increase in cost that buys you a huge gain in safety. I prefer these.

Overall, nice setup. I'm used to a fisk descender so I use one even though it is a good bit bulkier than most descenders on the market these days...
    "They, the makers of the Constitution: conferred, as against the government, the right to be let alone - the most comprehensive of rights and the right most valued by civilized men. Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government’s purposes are beneficial. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but without understanding."
    - Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis, 1928

just be aware that some auto locking biners have edges on the collars which may damage the sheath of your line in a fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    I don't climb! If there's no trees that means there's no Oxygen & no way to build a fire 'cuz there's no wood or O2. However, my kid brother has summited both Mr. Fuji in Japan & Mt. Kilimanjaro in S. Africa. He's been wanting to climb this one but the wife refuses to give permission: http://alpineascents.com/aconcagua.a...FZBd2god0mD0Qg

Be sure & take plenty of booze!
    I'll bet Mrs. Fuji was upset about that one. For me - summiting Mr. Coffee is more up my alley.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool oops...

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I'll bet Mrs. Fuji was upset about that one. For me - summiting Mr. Coffee is more up my alley.
    Ok, it was late at night, was in a hurry, the sun was in my eyes....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin