Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's hear it!

Blog Entries

Cool Let's hear it!

We've been compared elsewhere to a bunch of drunken monkeys, as well as posers, losers, & wannabes. So this got me to thinking. I would like to see how many of you have actually gotten something out of this forum that has helped you in the field of Survival &/or the outdoors. If it has, tell us what it is, inquiring minds wanna know!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Man, that chimook got you riled didn't he?

I came here for the preparedness stuff, not so much the survival stuff. A lot of good people on here have been very helpful information on what a stash should include for a year or two of make-ready.

The survival topics are beyond my physical capabilities at the moment.

I came here to find people who actually do wilderness survival. I have found a few.

It's refreshing to see people with used knives.

I've read alot of things that I have yet to attempt, but when I do attempt them and am successful I will have learned.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Blog Entries

+1 Lowkey.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

i like how the forum has evoved in some ways-lots of folks have come here and given great links and ideas, some not, there are a few here that i respect and keep me coming back, they inspire me

that being said sarge, personally i get annoyed at your position with some folks and always harping on them like ARR and the numpty twins-the mistake that they made was coming on here first and running their mouths, they should have attempted it first then shared the experience, would have gained more respect even in failure

If somebody does something to annoy you it is not about them it is about you, i am sure the numpties and ARR don't give two hoots about what you say, so why waste the energy on them?????
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

I haven't used the knowledge I have gained here YET. But I haven't had the time to "experiment" or the need to use them in an emergency. Even though I haven't done so, still IMHO it doesn't take away from the great advice I have recieved from many people here including yourself I remember when I first came here you gave me some very good advice. I remember and not only apply it to my emergency preps. I also apply it to my DAILY life. Everyday I get at least a small amount of great information here that I often don't realize till later what good information it is. As far as what others say about us/me. I really don't care IMO it only shows how small minded and ignorant they are. As long as I know what we really stand for I could care less what others think.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

I really don't give a rat's *** as to what anyone else thinks about my skills unless it is constructive criticism. I did this in the military, so what are their qualifications to be able to criticize anyone??!!! If they don't have any qualifications, then maybe they should shut their yap!
    I know what hunts you.

Blog Entries

What I have learned is being aware that the modern luxeries make us weaker. I catch myself now thinking about preparedness alot more nowadays. Also when I visit my wife family in Mexico I ask alot of question on how/why things are done. The don't have running water only a large well for the village, and just am amazed the happiness they have without all of the modern conveniences. They survive and survive well. That can be duplicated here if things went down hill with society and technology. I never used to think in this way.
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Updating website! Stop by and tell me what you think!

I don't think you miss what you've never had. Conversely, I think if you lose what you have then you struggle to get back to that level. Whatever we establish as our comfort zone we will tend to do whatever we need to do to stay in that zone if possible.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

IMO the Forums have grown. It used to be just about short-term survival; then things got added: TSHTF, TEOTWAWKI, Gardening, homesteading, wild edibles, knives & knife-making, guns & ammo, not to mention all the YouTube info that moved beyond WSF. I'm Durned proud of this place! "Diss" it &/or us at your own risk!"
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I was into survival and doing those types of things when I was a scout. That was about 40 years ago. Since then, I have pushed myself to learn and experience all that I can. Both military and civilian survival schools. This has been my only forum since being forced into the computer world a few years ago. I was surprised and excited to learn that others enjoyed the same . To answer your question about what we have learned. I guess I'd have to say a little about every subject. I now garden, make knives, cook more , preparing better and it's all because of you folks.

I quit worrying about what people thought of me twenty some odd years ago and life's been better ever since.

You are who you are and if people want to "try" and cut you down for it then so be it.

The only time my feathers get ruffled too much is when I know the person is at least somewhat right in criticizing me, and I don't want to admit it. That hasn't happened on this forum yet to me.

This forum is for me a pool full of knowledge about survival and kind people that'll respond to my questions, dumb as they may be! Also, its a great way for me to improve my english.

So yea, this forum has definately done something for me.

I like that "pool of knowledge". Its a great resource. And frankly I hope never to use any of it.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

why do you want to ask something like that... the list of things I've learned here is just too long for me to list. I'll try a few.

gardening tips / growing things
    raising animals for food (still getting this one together)
    basic gear (is not the enemy!)
    Plant identification techniques and details
    Social skills
    many project ideas
    many skill tweaks and material lists
    modern gear and tool projects using modern materials

other general ideas to put into practice...
    I came here to learn and share and that's just what we all do here. If I don't learn something new every day, at least I get a good subject to think about and ponder.
    I've connected with some folks that have very good information and I hang on every word.
    my list could go on and on, but that's enough for now.
    I love this forum, and I do visit several others, but rarely post on them. This group seems much more receptive to my mindset. I'm here for the long haul, at least until you guys run me off
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

I've learned more here than I can list, but to me, the great thing about this forum, is that not only is there a vast "pool" of knowledge here, it seems like learning from friends, rather than reading it in a book.

Although I have, and continue to, learn many things from this forum, I enjoy being here with like minded people, that I think have a sound moral base. I enjoy hearing what good people have to say. It can be about preparedness, what was for dinner, or what truck they drive.

In short...this is a place where good people share good info.

BTW, I'm much better prepared for natural disaster type situations, than I was when I came to this forum. I live in hurricane country. This preparedness could make a huge difference to me and mine, as to how well we fair after a big one.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

I've learned lots of stuff that has come in handy. The paracord bracelets have made me learn more knots and some extra cash, and that's just one example.
    The thing I like the best about home is just that. We have a real feeling of family round here. We may bicker from time to time, but what family doesn't. I know if I have a question about anything, someone will help me find the answer. While some might say that doesn't sound self-reliant, well it takes a village to raise a child, and I'm smart enough to know that I may be an adult but I'm still a child when it comes to survival.
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

Blog Entries

I've learned and will prob. learn some more.

I don't put much care into what others think, just not worth my time.

Besides learning, I think just getting motivated to try doing/making stuff.

(Hair has grown back on my arm after the "penny stove incedent")
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Over Taxed Under Paid Swamprat1958's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    why do you want to ask something like that... the list of things I've learned here is just too long for me to list. I'll try a few.

gardening tips / growing things
    raising animals for food (still getting this one together)
    basic gear (is not the enemy!)
    Plant identification techniques and details
    Social skills
    many project ideas
    many skill tweaks and material lists
    modern gear and tool projects using modern materials

other general ideas to put into practice...
    I came here to learn and share and that's just what we all do here. If I don't learn something new every day, at least I get a good subject to think about and ponder.
    I've connected with some folks that have very good information and I hang on every word.
    my list could go on and on, but that's enough for now.
    I love this forum, and I do visit several others, but rarely post on them. This group seems much more receptive to my mindset. I'm here for the long haul, at least until you guys run me off
    What YCC said only with more emphasis!