Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire Starters And Tinders

This is a real nice site, I've learned lots on starting fires using different methods of tinder. Since watching the video's I'm about convinced matches aren't needed so much as I thought. I appreciate all of you sharing your experiences using these methods. I've played and hunted the woods all my life, and never knew a lot of this stuff. Thanks all for sharing.

Have you thought of including the Aussie Survival Tool in your comparison videos. It actually has tinder as part of the tool as well as the flint and magnesium which makes it different from the other fire starters I have used. Not just a compartment for cotton wool or something. I love video of sparks!!!!!! Great work on your movies.

Thanks, and no I haven't thought of using the Aussie Survival Tool. You have now mentioned it in three of your four posts which sure does make it appear to be spam (the annoying promotion of something, not the canned meat).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Dryer lint works real well

Quote Originally Posted by garden-ed View Post
    48 seconds of the second video listed in the OP.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by garden-ed View Post
    I know a lot of people swear by dryer lint......I have tried it, know it works...BUT

At my house dryer lint has all sorts of stuff the smells funny when burned.....including black lab hair.....

I don't use it, as I can get a big bag of cotton balls at the dollar store for a buck.....or search out natural tinder.
    Y'all do what you want....not for me.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

H......stop putting the dog in the dryer!
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I know a lot of people swear by dryer lint......I have tried it, know it works...BUT

At my house dryer lint has all sorts of stuff the smells funny when burned.....including black lab hair.....

I don't use it, as I can get a big bag of cotton balls at the dollar store for a buck.....or search out natural tinder.
    Y'all do what you want....not for me.
    That is correct! LOL

i agree that this is a great way to present material...videos were very nicely done.

The man is a natural born star. He's available for cameo spots in your next Youtube video about food or guest appearances at your family picnic (Nothing says outdoors like a blazing fire!!). Have your people contact my people and we'll make all the necessary arrangements to have him appear in person.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Just watched the first vid , very impressed. Good for a novice like me.

Glad it was helpful.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

hi everyone this is my first post. my name's cheryl and i've been prepping for about two years now. i have a couple of ultimate survival technologies flint and steel strikers and i love them. they were expensive and i'm wondering if anyone uses anything else made by ultimate survival technologies?

Quote Originally Posted by Skittish Prepper View Post
    hi everyone this is my first post. my name's cheryl and i've been prepping for about two years now. i have a couple of ultimate survival technologies flint and steel strikers and i love them. they were expensive and i'm wondering if anyone uses anything else made by ultimate survival technologies?
    You'll see at least two UST fire starters in the video posted in the OP.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Fantastic job , learned a lot from your vids.

Quote Originally Posted by Skittish Prepper View Post
    I do have a few. I have a BlastMatch or two and at least one Sparkie. I have some WetFire but mostly just to play with; I haven't found it to be reliable enough to both with for the most part. Of those products my favorite is the Blastmatch; it's easy to use and has held up fine in the limited amount of use I'd subjected it to. There is some talk that they're not all that durable, but mine has been okay. The Sparkie seems a little underpowered to me. The device is compact but the ferro rod is rather small. I prefer a regular firesteel myself. If I want something that works one handed I prefer the military style Spark-Lite.

I do have a commercial chamber vacuum sealer, and I've successfully sealed WetFire in mylar bags. They then work reliably for at least a year (the longest I've tested them). It appears that the factory baggies develop pinholes, quickly rendering the tinder inert. Several people I know have reported this, too. The mylar bags are much, much more durable. However, if I'm going to seal my own anyway the Weber cubes are larger and vastly cheaper for a virtually identical product.

I went to a preparedness fair Sunday in Mesa, AZ at Falcon Field. It was really interesting as almost everything was so overpriced I left. One cat had flint and steel fire starters for $20.00 each. Coleman makes one for $6.75, and Harbor has the same thing on sale now and then for $2.00 it's unreal. Knives were the worst, lots of useless stuff, and priced at $495 and up. Backpacks rated as Army surplus for $295.00 or more. Army surpluss? Like hell. It was really sad. Almost 90%of people there were WW11 vets, age wise, and few younger folks or families. What does that tell you about who is getting prepped? The firestarters were what bothered me, and that booth was a busy one.

Quote Originally Posted by scumbucket View Post
    I went to a preparedness fair Sunday in Mesa, AZ at Falcon Field. It was really interesting as almost everything was so overpriced I left. One cat had flint and steel fire starters for $20.00 each. Coleman makes one for $6.75, and Harbor has the same thing on sale now and then for $2.00 it's unreal. Knives were the worst, lots of useless stuff, and priced at $495 and up. Backpacks rated as Army surplus for $295.00 or more. Army surpluss? Like hell. It was really sad. Almost 90%of people there were WW11 vets, age wise, and few younger folks or families. What does that tell you about who is getting prepped? The firestarters were what bothered me, and that booth was a busy one.
    It seems that you may be confusing or mixing up several different items. Here's what I mean.....
    One cat had flint and steel fire starters for $20.00 each
    This is not an unreasonable price for a blacksmith to make and harden a striker then package it with some flint.

Coleman makes one for $6.75, and Harbor has the same thing on sale now and then for $2.00 it's unreal.
    Here I believe (but am not positive) you are referring to magnesium blocks with a ferrocerium rod attached to it. The Coleman is decent, but the Harbor Freight version is less than ideal in my experience.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Actually, it doesn't tell me anything about who's getting prepped. Older folks generally led more of an outdoor life than today's younger folks so a fair like that probably holds more interest for them. It also depends on location. Around here you'll find all age groups at that type of event and at gun shows. You also have the State Fair currently running so I would imagine a lot of families were there.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Hey, thanks for the videos. If you can find jute at the craft store, it ignites much easier than sisal (ref your Natural flint and steel video). Get the larger size, or ply smaller ones together until you get around 1/4" or better sized cord. And, BTW, I use an Altoids can the very same way with my flint and striker.

Good job!