Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire Starters And Tinders

As everyone else said, excellent vids Crash! You're a natural on camera, efficient info, easy to listen to, organized, you got it all brotha!

I have known about the 9v and the steel wool for a long time and have told many about it, and this last week I was trying out different tinder's to use with a magnifying glass. And when I came to the 00 steel wool, it worked great! Started easier than anything else I was trying at the time and provides (as we all have seen) a very hot ember. Again great job.

Did someone say"BACON" I'm in.Great information by the way.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

If you are looking to make char cloth, the best solution I have found is to purchase a large bag of 12 ga cleaning patches. They can be bought very cheaply at gun shows and most gun shope. They are pure cotton and already in an ideal size. I have used both the round and square shape to make char cloth.

Here's one you may want to try.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

This thread reminds me of a movie....... Quest for Fire!!!

Crash, excellent vids. About how long do you leave the can in the fire to make the charcloth? How do you know when it is done?

The length of time is going to be dependent on the amount of material and the heat of your fire (or stove). I wait just a little after there is no more smoke (or lit gasses) coming out of the vent hole. This probably took about 5 - 7 minutes.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I am going to try to make some charcloth this weekend. Does anyone have an explanation why one would use petro jelly on cotton balls? is this the best gel? I am thinking of applying some fire paste to some cotton pads or balls and use that as emergency tinder. anyone see a problem with that? like most of us, if i go into the wild i always carry several fire starting instruments. i like at least a triple back up! say, a bic lighter, mag bar, and nato waterproof matches. now i will also carry some charcloth.

PJ on the cotton balls burns better and longer, and is cheap......Doesn't have to be the best, just has to work.....
    Not saying not to use what ever you want....just passing along "a way"to help the cotton.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Nothing wrong with a tube of fire paste, but I would not carry cotton balls pre-soaked in it. Not sure if it would dry out, or what the "shelf life" would be after you soaked them, but there are some pretty toxic chemicals in the paste. Also, the pj cotton can be used for more than just a fire starter - chapped lips, keep a knife from rusting, lubricant, etc.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I keep pjcotton in my gun case for when I'm hunting in the rain. Along with a spark shooter, in a pine forest, you can get a fire going fast, AND keep your gun from rusting!

has anyone seen this vid? i am going to buy these and do a test, if nobody has already.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=bi5Unv2l65k

Yes. There have been a number of discussions on it. Good stuff. Cheaper Than Dirt's price is a little steep however. Look around, you can find it cheaper than Cheaper. (chuckle)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

ok, yes, i am very into fire! hey, as we all know, it can save your life! ok, another thought. Wondering about getting some Kingsford charcoal (impregnated with lighter fluid). I don't think it would be good on it's own, but perhaps scraped onto a cotton ball may be a good idea? any thoughts?

Try it and let us know how you like. Probably not something I would want to try, but looking forward to your review.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Great videos. Never thought about using sisal twine but I have used yute as a tinder.. worked great!

Thanks for the nice work! You've taken all of the mystery out of it. lb
    Have a super one...

larryb

http://larrybass.tripod.com/Surviving.html

Still Surviving, after all these years...

thanks for sharing ur videos this will help me alot im a newbie

Very well made and informative! Thank you!

I enjoy videos of different methods of starting a fire. Thanks. Personally where I live in the White Mountains of AZ the forests are full of old stumps from 30 years ago left by loggers. These things are full of pitch, I can hold a match to a piece for a couple of seconds and have a fire going. I use my ax to greak off pieces and keep these in camp. Even in a downpour I can light a fire. This is my tender. I keep some in plastic jars ready to use. Keeps it dry, and the pitch off my camping gear.