View Poll Results: Do you use any ALICE gear?

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

122 78.21%
  • No.

18 11.54%
  • Thinking about it.

16 10.26%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The ALICE Thread

Hi there
    I've been messing around with the ALICE/MOLLE hybrid pack since I first saw it on this and other forums. After using a large pack without a MSS carrier, I've finally gone for the medium with the carrier. Mostly beacause it is less voluminous and doesn't bulge out from your back as the large pack does.

Front view of the finished pack.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

A side view with frame and sleep system carrier in place.

The DEI 1606AC frame makes a big difference, lighter, flexible and fits the MOLLE stuff better.

I hook up the shoulder straps just like on the Aluminium frame, using only the lower set around the frame, and tucking the upper straps in behind. With the loads lifters, and central webbing, they are very solidly attached.

I added a webbing loop to make a handle on the top... an essential addition for me.

Here you see the MSS carrier cinched up to the pack. There is absolutely no bounce when fitted like this.

I copied the way the MOLLE ll pack has its fastex buckles fitted. I can thread these through the first set of loops on the front of the MSS carrier to cinch it to the main pack.

The MSS carrier is fitted with 4 toggles to attach to the MOLLE frame. As the DEI frame is shorter I used just the top set to attach it to the 1606 frame. Like this is is held firmly to the frame, and doesn't come undone when you loosen the straps. The webbing straps ( you can se one on the right of the image), go around and under to compress the carrier when its full.

So there you go. After several attempts with different configurations I've got the pack modified how I want it. It carries well, has enough space for all my gear, and has a retro look that I like. I was never a big fan of the way the original Alice carried, but this is a totally different beast.

cheers
    Gareth

Quote Originally Posted by SSG HAWK View Post
    I have PM'ed Sgtdraino with out success. Does anyone know if he is deployed? I truely hope he is well.
    Whoops, sorry dude, somehow I missed this!

5 minutes latter of cutting up the ratty belt with his super sharp leather knives he was measuring me for the finished product and was going to add extension pieces from the ratty belt to the like new belt; belly coverred, 8 more Molle points all for $20 plus tax.
    In other words he sewed a large U that includes the three pouches from yje old medium Alice. This he did for $15-20. In addition to allowing access to the original mag pouches we have created a handy good size admin pocket between the new pockets and the old mag pouches.
    lol. You should call your pack "Frankenstein!" I gotta see some pictures of this thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Sgtdraino is LEO now. He bops in from time to time so he'll answer on his next visit. He's pretty good about that.
    Lest there be any misunderstanding, I've never been military. LEO all the way. Sorry haven't been as good about bopping in as I have been in the past!

I carefully removed the nice Flap from the Molle Main Pack and the original flap from the large Alice. I safetypined/taped the Molle flap where I wanted it on the Alice. For like $10-15 the cobler sewed it on so it will never come off.
    Want!!! Pictures!!!

Now if we can only get this posting picture thing figured out.
    Step 1: Upload your pictures to a hosting site such as photobucket.com.
    Step 2: Copy the URL for the picture you have uploaded which you want to post here.
    Step 3: In your post here, click the little "image" button. It looks like a little picture of a tree.
    Step 4: Paste the URL from your picture into the box that pops up.

That's it!

Quote Originally Posted by garethw View Post
    Hi there
    I've been messing around with the ALICE/MOLLE hybrid pack since I first saw it on this and other forums.
    Cool looking pack! Any chance we can see how it hangs on you?

Also, I know a Gareth W., but he lives in the UK. You aren't perchance the same guy are you?
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

Quote Originally Posted by sgtdraino View Post
    Cool looking pack! Any chance we can see how it hangs on you?

Also, I know a Gareth W., but he lives in the UK. You aren't perchance the same guy are you?
    I'll try and do some shots.. not too easy by yourself though!

Doubt I'm the Gareth W you know, I've lived in France now since the mid 80's.

Cheers
    Gareth

Nice looking modifications Garethw.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That's a nice looking mod. The important thing is it works for you. I like the Molle shoulder straps and waist strap hands down over the ALICE straps but the Molle pack is huge. This takes advantage of the best of both worlds. Nice job.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtdraino View Post
    Take another look at the Zen Backpacking link:

http://zenbackpacking.net/Backpacks.htm

Scroll down a bit, and you'll see an EnduroFlex frame pictured that looks different than mine. Is that it?

I suppose you'll just have to measure the frame, and the pocket, and see if you think you can cut enough off to fit it in there, without compromising the integrity of the frame. Let us know how it goes!
    I just saw this today. Sorry.

Yes that frame in the picture you linked looks like the one I have. Mine came from Fieldline as part of their "Dwight Schuh" line. I like the frame; hate the pack.

I haven't tried any modifications yet but, I'm really getting tempted as none of the packs I have nor any of the ones that I have seen seem to be quite right.

My only concerns with the Alice Packs as I see them in your pics are:

1. There seems to be a lot of extra material there and I'm concerned about how heavy they might be. My 3-day hunting gear weight is currently down to under 20 lbs. To carry it all in a pack that itself adds an additional 1/3 - 1/2 that weight would seem a bit counter productive.

2. They definitely do not appear to be made of quiet material. I'm a real quiet freak when it comes to my time in the backcountry. I absolutely hate beeps, squeaks, crinkles, or other noises coming from my gear.

I've solved the noise problem. Just go deaf. You won't hear a thing.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I've solved the noise problem. Just go deaf. You won't hear a thing.
    Huh? What? Speak up!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

This is an awesome thread. Lots of details. I'm slowly modifying my medium alice. I have just added the side release buckles to the main straps, added a couple molle USMC First Aid pouches on the lower sides, next purchase will be the sleep system carrier and thinking about adding a molle hydration system low inside the frame in the open area.

Thanks to all of you with your comments and ideas...really got my mind thinking about some other mods!!

Happy hiking!

The biggest favor you can do yourself is upgrade the shoulder straps to Molle straps. It makes a world of difference.

I did a paracord braid for the top handle instead of the web strap. Same difference but it really is handy.

Thanks for the tip Rick. I actually had been looking at that upgrade as well. Wondering if anyone has experience with adding a hydration pack inside the alice frame. Seems to be plenty of room plus keeps it low and close to the back. Thoughts?

Jeff

I played with it and didn't like it. I'm just not a fan of bladders in general. The smaller inside compartment doesn't allow much room and the larger inside compartment makes it difficult to get to with all your other gear in there. I just use a canteen attached to the outside of the pack.

Hi Rick - Sorry, got caught up in life for a while here. I guess the idea I was toying with was to secure a bladder within the frame itself, between my back and the frame. I agree, I have no room for a bladder insde the pack.

I don't see any reason it wouldn't work. There's certainly room. The thing I really like about that gap being empty is the air circulation you get on your back. When it's really hot you can feel the ventilation.

Can you do this mod with an MOLLE II Enduro Flex frame. This question may of already been answered and I apologize if it is. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly907LA View Post
    Can you do this mod with an MOLLE II Enduro Flex frame. This question may of already been answered and I apologize if it is. Thank you
    What mod are you referring to?
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Ok I'm new to modifying my large pack. Ive been thinking of removing the inner radio pouch in the main compartment and then sewing on more external pouches for a assorted types of gear, does anyone have any suggestions on type of thread or material to use for the external pouches and also I've seen on here everyone changing their medium pack frame for the MSS carrier but not for the large packs any suggestions for that also?

Cool ALICE Pack Frame Cargo Shelf

Thanks for the very useful ALICE thread. I have a medium ALICE pack with frame that should be adequate for my needs. My question is about the cargo shelf for the frame.

Does anyone have experience using a cargo shelf to carry jerrycans of fuel or water? Is there any difficulty attaching or removing the shelf? Can anyone recommend a good source?
    Thank you for any help on this.
    Faiaoga

Thread is a 10/10! Ive recently sworn off ALICE gear, used it for 16 years in the service, and a bit more after that. Ive gone USMC ILBE and prefer that greatly for comfort and superior design. I do however like the MOLLE & LC pack combo!!

Andrew

Default Hellcat

I am going to modify my sons ALICE (my old pack I bought yrs ago) to the "hellcat" but with the new Down East airborne frame. We have two MOLLEs here at home. I now use the new MOLLE II (Multicam) large rucksack and my other son uses the older MOLLE were the sleeping bag carrier is separate. Both have the GEN IV frame. I have used the new MOLLE II a few times and in weather hitting -16*C and the frame holds up well so far. With the mods I hope the old ALICE will be as comfortable to pack for my son as the new MOLLE II. However, an earlier post said it correctly about pack fit, the important thing is torso length. I love all the mods in this thread, though sometimes a new pack is cheaper. When its not cheaper, it is good to know that a few thought out purchases with very inexpesive ALICE gear and MOLLE parts can build a very good and usable system.

As an aside, I used to use the ALICE m1967 (through the 1980's) gear for hunting and it was good. In 1991 I purchased the Canadian army's version of the M1967 gear called Pattern 82 webbing. It was more comfortable though not quite as versitile.I now use an arktis vest (Long Range Patrol) and it is very comfortable, but I must fight the tendency pack stuff in the vest that can really ride in the pack. That was never an issue with the older M1967 ALICE system. I have since tried chest rigs and vests. I have settled on the Arktis vest mentoned above. The new Molle vest appears to as modular as the M1967 gear but comfortable as the newer vests.
    Ok, I've done rambling.