Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Rate the Survival Experts!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Okay, here's your chance to rate these folks we all like to study &/or watch on TV. It's not a "Who's your favorite, that's why there's no poll listed. Just your opinion on how you rate them: #1; #2; and so on. they all market survival gear, so that should be included in your rating.

a.) Bear Grylls.
    b.) Army Ranger Rick.
    c.) David Canterbury.
    d.) Cody Lundin.
    e.) Dr. Ron Hood.
    f.) Tom Brown.
    g.) Les Stroud.
    h.) Mykel Hawke.
    i.) J. Wayne Fears.
    j.) John D. McCann
    Of the ones I'm familiar with, I'd rate them:

1) Tom Brown - since he trained many of the instructors I've spoken to and his books seem to indicate he has a great deal of all-around knowledge
    2) Les Stroud - closer to reality than most others so his tactics seem to be more plausible. While I love his show, I don't necessarily agree with some things, even as a novice (like, how do you use a multitool if you have lost the use of an arm or have severely reduced manual dexterity (extreme cold/borderline hypothermia, etc)?).
    3) Cody Lundin - due to his terrain specialty, there have been several situations on the show where he has to defer because he just doesn't have the knowledge required. His primitive skilled are unmatched though. Looking forward to studying under him next year. His first book was awesome too.
    4) Dave Canterbury - I saw his YouTube videos before I even knew what Dual Survival was. Not sure why he got kicked off the show (something about embellishing his credentials?) but he worked well with Cody ("When you come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at home") in a push-pull fashion that was entertaining.
    5) Mykel Hawke - Besides the show, I know of him from a few people who worked with him. He was a consultant on a season of Road Rules and the people at Bunim-Murray loved him. He apparently has a very effective way of teaching/demonstrating complex techniques to utter novices. On the show, I am amazed at how he's able to deal with his wife when she goes into (what I call) 'shrill mode'. Taming of the Shrew indeed!
    6) Bear Grylls - even though his show introduced me to wilderness survival, I am SO thankful that I chose to look deeper. What many people don't realize is that his stunts aren't really stunts. He has people on the crew whose jobs involve making those "stunts" as safe as possible. He has a rope technician, for example. That's like having a gastroentrologist on crew to make eating bugs as safe as possible. Do you honestly think someone like Will Ferrell would subject himself to Bear's typical antics?

I'll have to look up the others.

Quote Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
    you got to remember this is TV ! If you dont get ratings they pull you!! Also take into account , bear is more of a daredevil than a survivalist , he flew an ultra light over Mnt Everest ( a lawn mower) , he also has jumped out of plains at rediculous heights! For a guy who broke his back , to actually be out running , jumping and all the other things he does is amazing ! Running through the woods isnt a survival tactic ? since when? I suppose silently crawling is preferable? It depends on the situation, but on a tv show ,time is of the essence, you dont get to see Les run up the hill to change the camera 40 times , that would be boring , but he does!
    For your first point, it's not as true as you might think (no ratings = cancellation). There are shows on TV (Cable specifically) with audiences rated in the tens of thousands (for comparison, the high water mark is Duck Dynasty at 12 million). They're not outright canceled as much anymore because you need hits to show reruns and they're so darn cheap to produce, they don't require huge audiences to recoup. Bear Grylls could poop in sand and wring the water out to drink and he'd be middle of the pack, ratings wise. It just doesn't take much to be considered 'good enough' now. By contrast, because it's so cheap to produce these shows, conglomerates can sell additional channels to carriers to make more money (History, H2; Food Network, Fine Living/Cooking Channel; examples abound) and a hit show becomes an entire franchise as soon as the returns are in (there are nine planned series/spinoffs for Storage Wars. NINE! 3 are being aired now. And there are almost a dozen similar shows on other networks). 'Life Below Zero' is considered successful so you can expect to see clones of that show. The same can be said for 'Buying Alaska' (which has already spawned 'Buying the Bayou').

Problem is, if the bar for the lead of survival shows is a 'presenter', then none of the shows will actually have any (for lack of a better term) "street cred" (i.e. credibility amongst the people in the viewing audience who know better). The problem with Bear, as Sarge pointed out, is that until very recently, there were no disclaimers telling people that this was essentially for entertainment purposes only. Okay, maybe it is technically possible to wring water out of elephant dung but aren't there better (less extreme) methods of acquiring it? Even if the method is following the elephants to where they're getting water? It's not zero sum choice between elephant dung wringing and drinking your own unfiltered pee, is it? But those alternatives are rarely (if ever) shown so a person is only given one part of the equation. Compare him to Les Stroud who is constantly saying "Don't do what I'm doing unless...." ("The only way to be sure of what plants are good to eat, is to spend time with a teacher who is knowledgeable about the local plant life" The 'Mountains' episode when he ate a shaggy mane mushroom is one example of many. The episode surviving in Colorado? with the two horses is another).

cody rocks!
    Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it?

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you mentioned it...

Quote Originally Posted by Remianen View Post
    5) Mykel Hawke - Besides the show, I know of him from a few people who worked with him. He was a consultant on a season of Road Rules and the people at Bunim-Murray loved him. He apparently has a very effective way of teaching/demonstrating complex techniques to utter novices. On the show, I am amazed at how he's able to deal with his wife when she goes into (what I call) 'shrill mode'. Taming of the Shrew indeed!

6) Bear Grylls - even though his show introduced me to wilderness survival, I am SO thankful that I chose to look deeper. What many people don't realize is that his stunts aren't really stunts. He has people on the crew whose jobs involve making those "stunts" as safe as possible. He has a rope technician, for example. That's like having a gastroentrologist on crew to make eating bugs as safe as possible. Do you honestly think someone like Will Ferrell would subject himself to Bear's typical antics?
    !st, be careful about "dissing" Ruth, Hunter will take offense!....

2nd, Bear Grylls also has those guys faking stuff for him to look great in, like putting a man in a bear suit and pretending it's a real threat, or tying a rabbit down so Bear can kill it with a stick. Also drinking his own urine straight from the bladder is a "no-no!" Just sayin'.....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Thanks Sarge.....lets keep it down about Ruth.....Y'all can diss the rest all you want......LOL

Lets hear it for Naked and Afraid......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Thanks Sarge.....lets keep it down about Ruth.....Y'all can diss the rest all you want......LOL

Lets hear it for Naked and Afraid......
    Oh no, you misunderstand. I actually like Ruth. She is a rather comely lass. It's just that sometimes, she has a nails-on-a-blackboard effect on me (like wanting to smash acorns when you have neither shelter nor fire yet. Or falling into the ice cold water when told to grab the branch mere inches from her forehead. Or "I can't believe I married a monkey").

Naked and Afraid has proven to be the most empowering survival show for women there is. Almost all of the guys turn out to be idiots (drinking jungle water and (surprise!) getting sick, losing your will to continue after four days, getting scorched by the sun to the point of debilitation....on a tropical island, etc). I kinda like Naked Castaway though, for similar reasons as Survivorman. Even Les has had to have safety crew intervention (Lost at Sea, Labrador) but they aren't there all the time. Don't expect to see many episodes of Naked Castaway though (45 days per?).

I'm surprised the bush tucker man was mentioned.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Did some research so I'm changing my order. This is only TV/video based though.

1) Ray Mears
    2) Les Stroud
    3) Tom Brown (only because I haven't been able to find as much video footage as the others)
    4) Dave Canterbury
    5) Cody Lundin (after doing a WS excursion, I've come to know that I am much more of a hunter than a gatherer. I'm too much of a carnivore. So Dave leapfrogs Cody)
    6) Mykel Hawke

Bear Grylls doesn't rate at all.

As an aside, if anyone's seen the commercials for the new season of Survivorman (on Science Channel in the US), they're shot like a typical Bear Grylls/Man vs Wild episode with Les running and jumping around and setting up as a spear fisher. It's hilarious! All weekend, Science Channel has been showing the 'Survivorman Survival Secrets' series (basically a show of clips from previous episodes with a theme (Fire, Water, Food, Shelter, MacGuyverisms, Dangers)) and Les takes shots at BG on several occasions. "I don't have a hotel to go to..." and in the 'Lost Pilots' episode (which is the very first Survivorman episode from 2001), "This isn't man versus wild...." I actually had to rewind it to make sure I was hearing right.

Geeze, I'm surprised no one listed the guys from "Mountain men".
    I think Eustace Conway deserves an honourable mention.
    BE PREPARED

Quote Originally Posted by Remianen View Post
    Did some research so I'm changing my order. This is only TV/video based though.

1) Ray Mears
    2) Les Stroud
    3) Tom Brown (only because I haven't been able to find as much video footage as the others)
    4) Dave Canterbury
    5) Cody Lundin (after doing a WS excursion, I've come to know that I am much more of a hunter than a gatherer. I'm too much of a carnivore. So Dave leapfrogs Cody)
    6) Mykel Hawke ..."
    Remianen, you really ought to take a look at the very well made videos produced by the late (d. June/'11) Ron Hood and his wife, Karen Hood. Hood was definitely one of the very best in "practical" survival methods and instucting.

Many of the things Canterbury "teaches," he lifted directly from Hood's videos.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

How does Mors not make this list?

Because it's his list.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool It's like this....

Quote Originally Posted by Bkmorris17 View Post
    How does Mors not make this list?
    Lousy intro for your 1st post. Mors is NOT on TV or a member of this group...besides, Cody Lundin was a student of his so we still get the benefits of Mores' teaching! It's considered very rude to just throw out a post without telling us a bit about yourself....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

1 My dad !!!
    2 Cody Lundin
    3 Ron Hood
    4 Tom Brown
    5 Wayne Fears
    6 John McCann
    7 Dave Canterbury
    8 Nessmuk
    9 Kephart
    10 Me (I ain't dead yet so that makes me a survivor)

Some (not all) of the others listed I consider just marketeers !
    Last edited by Lamewolf; 06-02-2014 at 09:33 AM.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

I would go with Les Stroud as the best and that's to my opinion. Les takes things in his stride, calm and does not seem to rush, the actual thinking in every survival situation but of course not when a nuclear missile or a whole lot of lava is heading your way.
    Not to say that Bear Grylls is not good. Bear Grylls has lots of knowledge. He gos to a place and finds out how to do things. He then imparts this knowledge on his shows. However, I do not appreciate the manner he moves along the terrains. His agility is good, but this caters to a more energetic audience, of the younger generation, who can jump down and slide the slopes, sort of rock climbing etc. Not all outdoor enthusiasts are as energetic as he is and some are like me, the slow snail and moves like a lemur. I also do not agree the way he goes into caves in order to get out of the area faster as in Malaysia or most of South East Asia, he would have been dead. Remember, the situations are presented to him and he was supposed to be alone. In a real situation, and if you are alone, you don't wanna do that.
    We are trained to move cautiously when we are lost and especially if we are lost or stranded alone as help is not available. To me, Les Stroud's methods seems more practical and realistic as he moves cautiously (well not as slow as Lundy though, I understand perfectly...he is barefooted, I wouldn't blame him..) That's is to my humble opinion. I still dig Ruth.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    #1) Major Fredrick Russel Burnham

#1a.) Fredrick Courtney Selous

#2) Colonel Townsend Whelen

#3) Bradford Angier

i would add Nessmuck to that list