Thread: Heat exhaustion

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Heat exhaustion

http://www.medicinenet.com/heat_exhaustion/article.htm

I did a search on WSF and turned up a few threads. I thought it was worth repeating, since I have many of these symptoms on a daily basis. I have had helpers get so hot they puke and get 'the shakes'. I've been way too hot before too. Cramps are a given in my line of work, just as are 'heat headaches' as we call them in my family.

I guess I should have posted about the dangers of heat three months ago when summer started (down here), but since there's still three months of summer left, I figured now is as good a time as any.

Given the temperatures, profuse sweating is not uncommon. This should be your first sign to start drinking water regularly. High heat and high humidity impair your body's ability to cool itself because the sweat does not evaporate readily. I can drink up to two gallons a day at work, by myself.

Normally for me, the first symptom is usually a headache followed by cramps. An aspirin is not the solution! You need to find a shady place and rest a while, while rehydrating. Once the cramps set in, they will stick with you for a few days. Makes it really tough to keep going, no matter if your working, taking a hike, or trying to get out of a bad situation.

Take a moment to run over the list of symptoms. There are a few more links with good information. Try to commit the list to memory, so you will know immediately that you are too hot, and you can take proper measures to keep your condition from getting worse.

It's also worth mentioning "cold shock". When you are too hot, it is important to cool down slowly. Going from 100+ outdoors, to 75 indoors can cause a shift in your body that makes the symptoms even worse. Normally after work, I drive with the windows down to cool off instead of running the air conditioner. 5 minutes with the air on and I'd be shivering.. this is BAD when your core temperature was just so high 10 minutes prior. Drinking ice-cold water can be just as bad, and I've had it make me sick before... like my body just says 'NO! you are too hot for that!'

I like to take a bottle with me, usually a large one, like a 32oz. Gatorade bottle. That should last me no more than an hour in this heat. 8oz (a few gulps) every 15 minutes at least, especially under heavy exertion or exercise. Stay hydrated folks!
    If your spit is thick, you are not well hydrated. Time for some water. If you aren't peeing regularly, you aren't drinking enough water. Knowing your body and paying attention to it while you are doing whatever task is at hand is important and should take precedence over said task. Imagine trying to twine rope from natural cordage with cramps in your hands... torture at best...

Stay healthy in this heat gang!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Good post.

A good rule of thumb is to drink till you piss.

I recall beatiful Ft benning where we drank 13-15 qts of water a day and never pissed.

Gallons a day with no excess.

Never work hard in the bush. Work like a city or state worker.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Good reminder, YCC.

August is typically the hot month for us. We'll get a cool spell and then a couple of weeks of Indian Summer so your reminder is timely.

If you wait until you are thirsty, you are already in the first stages of dehydration. I've installed a "water bucket" on my lawn mower so water is handy at all times. It's just a veggie can zip tied to the handle and a water bottle that sits in it but it sure is handy for a drink. I poked some holes in the bottom of the can so water can drain out. I wash my mower and other tools after each use so the can would be full of water without the holes.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Yup this is a hot topic

Another thing to have on hand is Pedia lite. Its an electrolyte drink that is given to children when they are recovering from a stomach virus or anything else that would cause them to dehydrate. You can find it in any supermarkert.

I keep a bottle of it on my fire truck so that it is there when I am at a house fire. Drinking a thinned out solution of Gatoraid and pedi lite has been shown as the most effective wat e to help your body recover.

One other thing to remember is that when you eat your body uses water to digest the food so make certain that you have something to drink, preferably no alcohol or caffeine as these dehydrate you further, With you meal. This is also a survival maxim to remember as well. No water then no eating.

Banned

Good post YCC, In Arizona, all the ZEE first aid kits you find in the workplace ,have those little packets of salt tablets as well as electrolyte tablets......

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Good post.

A good rule of thumb is to drink till you piss.

I recall beatiful Ft benning where we drank 13-15 qts of water a day and never pissed.

Gallons a day with no excess.

Never work hard in the bush. Work like a city or state worker.
    And I'm sure water was the only thing you drank at Benning
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Very good post, and all have been good suggestions.

Haven't had to this year, but spent a lot of time on roof tops, tar and gravel roofs, tar so hot that your boots stick in it.

Alot of the younger guys drink those big sodas and did a lot of fading, I just sorta got used to warm water, lots of it.

I really hate the taste of Gatorade, but will tolerate the thinned down version, I thought I was the only one that did this.....LOL, Great minds etc.

Thanks EA, never would thought of Pedialyte.

I also find the the "bandadanna" head cover works well, under my cap, as far as keeping sweat out of your eyes, and a wet bandanna around your neck also helps.

Seems the Dave and Cody also like these.....................
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

First and foremost, excellent post! Always good to remind people about this kind of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    I guess I should have posted about the dangers of heat three months ago when summer started (down here), but since there's still three months of summer left, I figured now is as good a time as any.
    And second, no/zero/nada/none pun intended, but I cracked up with this. Just a matter of my location that's all. For my part the summer is over. Day temperature is around 16C (60F), night around 6C (43F) and sauna around 80C (176F)...
    Survival is not about surviving AGAINST the nature. It's about surviving WITH the nature.

You can't go in to nature, nature is not a place or an object. Nature just is. You are living it.

Blog Entries

Oh I did forget to say that if you ever succumb to a a heat injury you are more at risk for future hyperthermia injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Erratus Animus View Post
    Oh I did forget to say that if you ever succumb to a a heat injury you are more at risk for future hyperthermia injuries.
    I have never heard of that before.

I try to put a gallon down "BEFORE" I get out in the woods during the wet season. May through to the end of October its two choices out there. Hydrate or die!

Quote Originally Posted by Erratus
    if you ever succumb to a a heat injury you are more at risk for future hyperthermia injuries.
    A source on that would probably be good. I can't locate anything on it.

A couple of things we haven't mentioned:

1. If you are on diuretics of any type (water pills) then consult your physician about how much water you should consume during hot weather.

2. Always try to use the buddy system. Sometimes, when becoming dehydrated you might not realize what's happening. That's where the buddy comes in. Stop after short intervals and evaluate each other to make certain a heat related injury isn't in the making.

3. I want to get this right since I messed up last time. So I'm just going to quote the CDC..."Electric fans may provide comfort, but when the temperature is in the high 90s, fans will not prevent heat-related illness. Taking a cool shower or bath or moving to an air-conditioned place is a much better way to cool off. Air conditioning is the strongest protective factor against heat-related illness. Exposure to air conditioning for even a few hours a day will reduce the risk for heat-related illness. Consider visiting a shopping mall or public library for a few hours. "
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I had recently read an article on sunscreens that contained some good information so I thought I'd share it here.

A study conducted by Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center found that about a third of folks don't know that sunscreen should be applied 30 minutes prior to going outside. It takes that long for the sunscreen to soak into your skin.

Only 18% knew you needed a full ounce (two tablespoons) to cover your body if you're wearing a bathing suit.

Not following those two guidelines means you are not adequately protected. Here are some other things to consider.

Pick a sunscreen with an SPF of 50. That's high enough to block 98% of harmful UVB rays.

SPF doesn't tell you anything about UVA protection. Instead, look for sunscreens containing 3% avobenzone paired with actocrylene or choose a sunscreen that contains zinc oxide or titanium dioxide.

Use enough sunscreen to fill a shot glass.

Apply every two hours. Sweating, swimming or just wiping your skin can remove the protection.

Source: http://www.rd.com/home-garden/4-thin...cle179125.html

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good point Rick. My grandma didn't use sunscreen at work and she pays for it now. You can look at her arm the wrong way and the skin will slough off and bleed profusely. I wear long sleeves (sounds crazy in the summer, I know) when I'm going to be in the sun a lot and use sunscreen on my face, ears, neck, anywhere that's going to be exposed.

The primitive alternative to buying sunscreen is mud. Any protection you can get from the sun will go a long way in preserving your skin. Often the minerals in mud, like clay, will "condition" the skin and make it softer. Come on ladies, some of you use mud-packs on your face, right? It does need to be somewhat clean mud, for the simple fact that there are many microbes and parasitic baddies that can get you.. don't use mud from stagnant pools!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures