Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Survival Hunting Laws

Quote Originally Posted by SBlakeS View Post
    recreational survival situations.

Blake
    if it's recreational .... Then its not a survival situation.... If recreation turns into a TRUE survival situation... That's a different story.... Tho... I am not one to throw stones.. In my younger days I skirted the law to practice\perfect survival techniques... I wouldn't be so bold to actually recommend breaking any law.. At least not online where there is a record...
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Wow. Minimalist camping, recreational survival....I don't really care what you call it. I'm not some kid that's never done anything like this before. I understand that this isn't a game and that it can potentially be a dangerous situation. I am a backpacker and am progressively moving more towards living off the land when I go. I've never been into the trapping/hunting side of things so I was just looking for a little educational insight. A few of you were helpful and I appreciate it but most of you would rather snub your noses at someone who might not know as much as you than actually provide a little assistance. I got the answers I needed but will definitely not be back here for any others.

Blake
    Dont go away mad Blake! If you worded it minimal camping or bushcraft, you might have got a different response. If you posted a intro first explaining you werent a 12 year old kid you would have got more feedback as well. Stick around, get to know the different guys here..there is a ton of useful info on this site and some great people as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NightShade View Post
    if it's recreational .... Then its not a survival situation.... If recreation turns into a TRUE survival situation... That's a different story.... Tho... I am not one to throw stones.. In my younger days I skirted the law to practice\perfect survival techniques... I wouldn't be so bold to actually recommend breaking any law.. At least not online where there is a record...
    I had/have no intentions of breaking the law. I was merely asking what the law was.

If you have no food and you are hungry. Isn't it a survival situation?

Never volunteer information.

Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    Dont go away mad Blake! If you worded it minimal camping or bushcraft, you might have got a different response. If you posted a intro first explaining you werent a 12 year old kid you would have got more feedback as well. Stick around, get to know the different guys here..there is a ton of useful info on this site and some great people as well.
    I'm by no means an expert. I don't know all the terminology and I obviously don't know everything I need to know. I am fairly experienced with most things I would need for a minimal camping trip. Hunting/trapping, however, is not anything I've done other than in a tree with a bow or rifle where I slap a tag on it, take it home, and call it a day. I just wanted to know if there were any special laws relating to this that I didn't know about. The answers were pretty much what I was expecting. The attitude is something I was not expecting.

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    If you have no food and you are hungry. Isn't it a survival situation?

Never volunteer information.
    Not nessesarily, it would depend on the extent of hunger & how obtainable regular food is.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Huh?

I'm by no means an expert. I don't know all the terminology and I obviously don't know everything I need to know. I am fairly experienced with most things I would need for a minimal camping trip. Hunting/trapping, however, is not anything I've done other than in a tree with a bow or rifle where I slap a tag on it, take it home, and call it a day. I just wanted to know if there were any special laws relating to this that I didn't know about. The answers were pretty much what I was expecting. The attitude is something I was not expecting.
    What attitude? We answered the question in the way it was asked, & now it's OUR fault? Sheesh! You used the term RECREATIONAL SURVIVAL!" That's an oxy-moron. That was my point. In order to answer your question properly I had to address that 1st. Again, if you don't want the answers don't ask the question. The laws will, in all liklihood apply differently if it's recreational than it would if it's survival. it can only be one or the other, not both, clear?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

It's okay, Blake. To be honest, I thought you might be a kid as well. Anywhoooo. Just consider it having been hazed and let's move forward. A poor choice of words perhaps but fun none-the-less.

Read through the Wa. State Hunting laws that Crash gave a link to. It's pretty complete in my view. If you have a question then a call to their help desk should give you the skinny on WA laws.

Not that we won't answer your question but if it comes from them you can be assured it's most likely right info.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    What attitude? We answered the question in the way it was asked, & now it's OUR fault? Sheesh! You used the term RECREATIONAL SURVIVAL!" That's an oxy-moron. That was my point. In order to answer your question properly I had to address that 1st. Again, if you don't want the answers don't ask the question. The laws will, in all liklihood apply differently if it's recreational than it would if it's survival. it can only be one or the other, not both, clear?
    You made your point. I apologize that I am not as eloquent as you would like me to be. I'm done here.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

You made your point. I apologize that I am not as eloquent as you would like me to be. I'm done here.
    Without a proper intro we have no idea who or what you may be, eloquent or not, the point was made by many of us. We can only answer what you ask. I would have hoped you had a tougher bark on you in light of what you plan to do; guess I was wrong, sorry.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

hey Blake.. dont take it personally bro... It's just that "recreational survival" is, well, kinda a wierd term.... I say practice..practice...practice... but if practice means snaring a rabbitt, it should also mean skin, clean , and eat said rabbitt... otherwise i would not condone.... not that I am now..especially on the internet..
    Last edited by NightShade; 08-16-2010 at 09:19 PM.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Blake - I hope you stay around / come back. There is a lot of information available to you here.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Without a proper intro we have no idea who or what you may be, eloquent or not, the point was made by many of us. We can only answer what you ask. I would have hoped you had a tougher bark on you in light of what you plan to do; guess I was wrong, sorry.
    OK Sarge. I'm not offended. I'm not hurt. I'm not curled up in front of my computer crying. I'm just not sure I want to post a question on here if I have to worry about wording it perfectly every single time (or there'll be consequences!!!). I understand that it was a really weird way to word it...got it. The meat of the question remains the same. Everyone else.....I understand that none of you know me. None of you know of my experiences. Perhaps I should have posted on the intro page first. I had what I thought was a simple question and was just looking for a quick answer.

Blog Entries

Cool Cool!

OK Sarge. I'm not offended. I'm not hurt. I'm not curled up in front of my computer crying. I'm just not sure I want to post a question on here if I have to worry about wording it perfectly every single time (or there'll be consequences!!!). I understand that it was a really weird way to word it...got it. The meat of the question remains the same. Everyone else.....I understand that none of you know me. None of you know of my experiences. Perhaps I should have posted on the intro page first. I had what I thought was a simple question and was just looking for a quick answer.
    Blake, nobody here dislikes you, ok? We just thought we understood what you were asking and answered. It's not the end of the world & everybody on here makes mistakes except me cuz' I'm perfect.

When a mistake is made, just clarify it & we go from there. No harm, no foul. The problem is when reading a post you can't tell how the person is speaking. I would have been doing so in a matter-of-fact tone & not trying to get your dander up. I personally respect all backpackers for the knowledge they have to do what they do. Yes, an intro would have cleared up a lot, that's why we ask for them. Why not do that right now & become a regular member, no one wants you to leave, & that includes me, ok?
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

OK...posted an intro. I'm sorry I got mad earlier. I can see how my question led to some confusion about what I wanted to know and why. I used the term "recreational survival" because I read it on another site. Here is the context it was used in:

"...A true "survival" situation is unplanned, unexpected, and life threatening. This differs from recreational survival which is a planned activity done for fun..." - http://www.wildfoodadventures.com/survival.html

I just got frustrated because I was expecting a simple answer like "yes...you have to follow all normal hunting/trapping laws."

Thanks for your help. I got the answer I was looking for. I'll keep reading and post again if I have any questions.

Blake

Wow. Minimalist camping, recreational survival....I don't really care what you call it. I'm not some kid that's never done anything like this before. I understand that this isn't a game and that it can potentially be a dangerous situation. I am a backpacker and am progressively moving more towards living off the land when I go. I've never been into the trapping/hunting side of things so I was just looking for a little educational insight. A few of you were helpful and I appreciate it but most of you would rather snub your noses at someone who might not know as much as you than actually provide a little assistance. I got the answers I needed but will definitely not be back here for any others. Good at least we wont hurt your feeling anymore.

Blake
    I was trying to be nice and stay out of this thread till now, You come in here with no intro ( and we snub our noses at you) asking a first class numpty question, well if you would of searched the forum prior to asking your question you would of found a couple threads close to what your asking and could of got the info you wanted and saved getting your little feelings hurt .
    Now here is a solution for your questions TRY GOOGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    I was trying to be nice and stay out of this thread till now, You come in here with no intro ( and we snub our noses at you) asking a first class numpty question, well if you would of searched the forum prior to asking your question you would of found a couple threads close to what your asking and could of got the info you wanted and saved getting your little feelings hurt .
    Now here is a solution for your questions TRY GOOGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    And if you would have read the rest of the thread you would realize that we already covered this.

And if you would have read the rest of the thread you would realize that we already covered this.
    I did but still had to say my peace.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Last edited by klickitat; 01-09-2011 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    I did but still had to say my peace.
    Well now you've said it. Feel better? I'm not trying to make any enemies here but I don't see what you hoped to accomplish by "saying your piece" after I've already apologized for my reaction.