Quote Originally Posted by coldlightning View Post
sorry for taking forever to respond, lost my internet connection for awhile. man, i just want to say you guys are awesome! your knowledge is incredible. as is today's metallurgical technology. beyond belief to me.wow. so many steel types for so many different applications. ok so here's a question, which type holds an edge best when used for skinning, and cleaning of fish, etc.?
I would like to go back and revisit this question, because I see things a little differently.

Holding an edge longer, means the knife is harder and by harder, I mean it is harder to sharpen when it finally looses that edge.

I spend a lot of time in the field hunting, bear, deer, elk, coyotes, bobcat, birds and so on. If it moves I want to eat it. Any how, one of the things I have discovered is that it is just as important to be able to sharpen a knife in the field as it is to hold an edge. I do not care who you are or how sharp your knife is or how well that knife holds an edge. Skinning an animal in the field will dull your knife and if you want to be proficient, then you will need to stop and put an edge back on your knife.

This is why most guides carry more than one knife in the field with them. With all things balance is the key. Find a knife that fits your hands well, is hard enough to hold an edge for a reasonable amount of time and one that YOU can sharpen in the field.

I personally think this is why a lot of outdoors-man tend to buy a new knife every time they turn around. They are always looking to find that perfect knife. It may not happen, but sure is fun trying.