View Poll Results: ARE YOU REASONABLY CONFIDENT THAT YOU HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE TO SURVIVE?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am reasonably confident that I will survive.

50 84.75%
  • I don't have the ability or experience to attempt this yet.

9 15.25%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: You Be The Judge

Im on Mt Washington with the rest of you clowns.I for one would die.The way I see it is like this.Ken would double dog dare me to stick my tongue to the chains anchoring the buildings to the top of the mountain.Becuase of the cold my brain would not be working well and I would do it. All would be good for about 15 min or until night fell.Then I would be a known as Frozen Joe.Ken and Nightshade would then use me as a tobogon to ride down to safety.Yup im a gonner.
    Joe
    Red meat is good for you.Its the green furry meat you have to worry about.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    two weeks worst weather possible? thats -40 in the dead of january here, hmmm, well don't need two hours to pack, as the pack is always ready but thats a tough go 2 weeks at -40, normally i could go 2 weeks sans food, but in that weather i would need lots of calories, not sure how well that would work out for me, might lose out to frostbite.
    you guys say i am arogant with my responses? ha just read some of what has been written here and see who is arrogant and out of touch with reality and has no long term boots in the feild time, how do ya like me now? threads like this just prove easily some peoples skill set
    i think you would irritate yourself to death within a week Why are you so condescending ? You claim you are an "Expert" , well I believe you, An "Ex" is something that once was, and a "spurt" is just a drip under pressure,

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Yep, shouldn't be much of a problem.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

For me , I am confident that it is doable. Not a walk in the park, but doable. As Pic mentioned, I have a few extra pounds on board that I could afford to lose.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

.Ken and Nightshade would then use me as a tobogon to ride down to safety.Yup im a gonner.
    haha... I think the people who ski Tuckerman's Ravine are crazy... but using your dead hiking buddy as an emergency tobogan?.... Thats just being resourceful!
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NightShade View Post
    haha... I think the people who ski Tuckerman's Ravine are crazy...
    Kids sometimes believe in immortality, ya' know.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    A lot of our threads have raised the question of whether or not we, as individuals, have the ability to survive in the wilderness or are simply armchair wannabes.

So, I'll give you a scenario and pose the question in an anonymous poll.

The Scenario

1. In 2 hours, you will be picked up at your home and transported by helicopter to the most isolated and challenging wilderness terrain, within 200 miles of your home, under the worst weather conditions common for that area.

2. You will be informed in advance of the location you will be dropped off at, and will have 2 hours to assemble a pack with whatever you choose to carry, weighing no more than 50 lbs., and you can dress as you feel is appropriate.

3. In this scenario, you will not suffer a life threatening accident (such as a broken back) or a sudden illness (such as a heart attack, stroke, etc.).

4. You will have no other human contact for 2 weeks.

5. Once you are dropped off, you can choose to stay in place or to move by foot to another location, but either way, you must remain alone in the wilderness for 2 weeks.

6. If, at the end of the 2 weeks, you are still alive, you have an EPIRB that you can activate in order to be picked up by helicopter within the hour.

The Question

ARE YOU CONFIDENT THAT YOU HAVE SUFFICIENT KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE TO SURVIVE?
    You forgot the best part; THIS MESSAGE WILL SELF DESTRUCT IN 5 SECONDS!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Let the urinary Olympics begin!
    Now that is funny!!

Easy, especially as I live this every day. Plenty of native foods here and mild weather all year round. If I was over there with your winter conditions it would be a different story though.

I voted I would survive until I read the actual rules of the game. I would not survive, and I honestly don't believe anyone would survive.

I live in one of the hottest/driest cities in the country. You would simply have to drop me about 3 miles from my backyard in the desert, and if I wasn't allowed to walk home (if I had to stay out there) I would die.

Even if I brought the entire 50 lbs in water, it wouldn't be enough. Temperatures here are usually over 110 degrees, and most likely more like 115+

Now, it IS monsoon season here right now. So IF I took the entire 50 lbs in water, and I was also able to make shelter, fire, and a water catching system, (and it actually rained where I was a few times) then yes maybe it would be possible.

I can (and have) made fire with nothing but things I have found in the desert. I can also make shelter.

So it would be up to Mother Nature on the rain right now.

I'd give myself 20-30% of a chance to live.
    Last edited by dolfan87; 08-16-2010 at 01:03 AM.

Does that 200 miles include tossing me in the ocean???? If not easily done!
    I know what hunts you.

Yep,.....good post/thread.

I'll have to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolfan
    I would not survive, and I honestly don't believe anyone would survive.
    Well, try this. 200 miles from me in any direction puts me in an 85°F day time environment. Two weeks will probably see some rain but not a lot this time of year (I have two hours to get ready). All rivers, ponds and lakes have water as do most creeks and even in a dry creek around here you can generally find water because the water table is pretty shallow. Wild edibles are abundant and so is fish and game.

If you make it the worst weather ever then it would either be scorcher hot, which it has been (actual temps 96°F) with high humidity or non-stop rain. We've seen both. Not too tough to survive in. Uncomfortable as heck but not deadly with just a bit of foresight and knowledge.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I reckon that I could survive anywhere within 200 miles from where I am now unless you’re throwing me in the ocean and that would be mean because of all the sharks off the Aussie coast. The main reason that I think I would survive is not that I believe that I have a great skill set but that the environment doesn’t really reach the extremes anywhere within 200 miles of my house. The coldest it has ever been within 200miles was 14 degrees Fahrenheit and the warmest it has ever been within 200 miles of my house was 125.6 degrees Fahrenheit. Just an an example of how relatively spread out Australia 200 miles away i wouldn't even leave my state.
    Last edited by Alec_end; 08-16-2010 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Well, try this. 200 miles from me in any direction puts me in an 85°F day time environment. Two weeks will probably see some rain but not a lot this time of year (I have two hours to get ready). All rivers, ponds and lakes have water as do most creeks and even in a dry creek around here you can generally find water because the water table is pretty shallow. Wild edibles are abundant and so is fish and game.

If you make it the worst weather ever then it would either be scorcher hot, which it has been (actual temps 96°F) with high humidity or non-stop rain. We've seen both. Not too tough to survive in. Uncomfortable as heck but not deadly with just a bit of foresight and knowledge.
    Rick, I have no doubt you would survive.

I meant I don't think anyone would survive here where I am at.

The worst case scenario for me would be Atlanta. Think I am joking? Some Urban Jungles are more dangerous than you think. Many of us practice wilderness survival, but how many of us practice urban survival? Water procurement, sanitation, shelter, and protection against predators take on a different tone in these areas.

Not counting that I would probably be dropped in the GSMNP. I have hiked, camped, and backpacked all over that park for my entire life. But to survive? It would all depend on the time of year. Late Spring and Summer I would say I have a high chance of success, but Fall, Winter, or Early Spring, heck no. The reason being that I have not practiced my skills in wet, snowy, or cold conditions.

EDIT: I only partially read the first post so forgive me.

I spent a lot of time in Atlanta a couple of years ago. Not my favorite city. I was in Buckhead off Lenox Rd. so it wasn't like I was in the worst part of town but you don't have to stray very far to find yourself in uncomfortable surroundings.

My bad, Dolfan. My apologies.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The responses do show that we forum members live in widely diverse environments. If I lived in the "Great North", or the desert areas ,you can bet your bottom dollar that my response would be different. Here in NJ the 200 mile radius gives a "relatively" less harsh environment to deal with. Still not a "cake walk", but I would think doable.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

I have been reading this poll, and trying to come up with an area, that would fit the rules.
    The harshest weather would be dead of winter, or Lake Michigan.

Also reviewing my gear and amount you can pack, I probably would die as it stands.

Given 2 hours to prepare and 50# Max I gotta say that would be a tough challenge.

Even though, gear plus food might fit the 50 lbs, and would be ready to go, in 2 hrs, shelter would be a problem depending on location.

Two weeks is a long time, generally carried provisions, tend to last 3 to 7 days, and time of year would make it tough to forage, I gonna say possible, but very tough.

I guess if I did make it I wouldn't be real happy.

Second choice should have been "I don't have the ability or experience or desire to attempt this yet.
    Last edited by hunter63; 08-16-2010 at 11:49 AM. Reason: added stuff
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27