View Poll Results: ARE YOU REASONABLY CONFIDENT THAT YOU HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE TO SURVIVE?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am reasonably confident that I will survive.

50 84.75%
  • I don't have the ability or experience to attempt this yet.

9 15.25%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: You Be The Judge

Nice till it's blowing 100mph at high tide and it's 20f.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Now: Michigan, Previously: Alaska, California, North Carolina, Mississippi

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    so in the worst weather that alska has to offer you would either try to walk out or run a trap line? i think the op was intending this to be a worst weather scenario for the entire two weeks. just poking.
    Understood. I'll make two points here.

1. It is not wise to move around in really really crappy weather. Oftentimes the best solution is to hunker down and ride it out.

(assuming I know for a fact that the next two weeks will be horrible weather)
    2. It is also not wise to knowingly submit yourself to the worst that Mother Nature has to offer. If the conditions truly are terrible and I know they will not get any better; I'm getting the heck off the mountain. Why? Well for one, it's colder at higher elevations. It is also windier (generally speaking). So what to do? Get down safely.

I realize the intent of the OP, but it is also unreasonable to believe that the next 14 days will consist of nothing but "the absolute worst weather". Why? Because I've been here for a couple of years and I've never seen the weather stay the same for 5 days, let alone 14.

It is, in fact, next to impossible for the weather to stay the same for two weeks solid around these parts given the weather systems and the routes they take. Yes, the weather gets rough, but it generally clears up (to some degree or another) in a couple of days.

All of that being said. I was "stranded" on Sitkinak Island for a week once. We flew out on a deer hunt via helicopter and weather moved in preventing our return. No big deal. The weather was nasty, but we still moved around basically freely.

I will add one thing to my list of clothing though: Sunglasses w/ retaining strap. As I recall, they came in handy on that trip.

***EDIT***
    Thanks for bringing that up BTW... I've been reading here for a couple of days and I can see that you have a lot more "boots on the ground" time than I. Thanks for your criticism, it is indeed welcome IMHO.
    Last edited by jgcoastie; 08-22-2010 at 08:49 PM.
    "They, the makers of the Constitution: conferred, as against the government, the right to be let alone - the most comprehensive of rights and the right most valued by civilized men. Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government’s purposes are beneficial. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but without understanding."
    - Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis, 1928

intelligently written, you alaskans have some smarts about ya
    now about being wise, ha when has man ever been wise, for me its about extremes, a week in death valley or snowshoeing in snowstorms.
    ken has made me think tho, if we get a bad weather front this winter i think i will head out for a couple of days and do some research, last winter only brought one day of good snow the rest was in small amounts,opps gotta go just remebered the fly masks are on the kids and its dark
    but as i said you answered well
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

You have a good head on your shoulders Coastie.

You remain young and invincible. You'll get over that in 20 yrs.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    You have a good head on your shoulders Coastie.

You remain young and invincible. You'll get over that in 20 yrs.
    What makes you think I'm planning on ever getting over it? As long as my mind can keep tricking my body that I'm young and invincible; I shall be.
    "They, the makers of the Constitution: conferred, as against the government, the right to be let alone - the most comprehensive of rights and the right most valued by civilized men. Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government’s purposes are beneficial. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but without understanding."

hahaha, your knees talk more loudly than your mind at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    hahaha, your knees talk more loudly than your mind at times.
    I hear ya. Honestly I'm looking at another knee replacement this spring. I my left knee is all synthetic and that'll probably be the fate of my right knee as well.