Thread: BOB 20 year upgrade and inventory

Default BOB 20 year upgrade and inventory

I open and surveyed my BOB bag that I have had unopened for over 20 years.

The knives were still sharp. The medical stuff looks oK. NO medicine had been stored. My Military Cammo poncho was stiff, Cords, Etc looked OK. Matches Steel wool, Fire starter cubes OK, Bic lighters were dry. compasses still worked My drinking straw looked Ok But I need to upgrade it. Carbide lamp and flints worked. Flashlight worked, replaced the separately stored batteries (AA type) They worked but were weak. Topo map needs updated to the area in which I am now living.

The freeze dried LRRP meal packets Beef & Rice might need replaceing. They are still sealed and crunchy.

I found No bugs, Mice turds, Mold or Cobwebs

I needed to upgrade some items and I went to the local store looking for BOB water filters. They had the Katadyn Hiker, Kayadyn Exstream and the Kayadyn "mybottle"

Has anyone had experience with these portable water filters. They are just two of us now. The kids have move out on their own 20 years ago. I am looking to get four of the portable filters one for each of us in each pack.

I have two types of BOB bags. One I keep in the house and the other I carry in my Jeep wrangler. The one in the jeep is more of survival pack in case I/we get stuck somewhere for a day or two.

The packs are a small Camo alice type pack for my jeep and the Home BOB is an older internal frame pack that came with a quick disconnet waist belt that also could be converted into a repelling belt. The leg straps/bag had been removed before I got it. The interior tag states it was made by IEM (International Equipment Manufacture) I seems like a good pack and carries well but I don't have any further information on it. BTW it is OD is color.
    Any help or suggestions is appreciated
    Last edited by Beans; 08-14-2010 at 09:30 PM.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

I like the Katadyn Hiker and Hiker Pro. There are other brands that are about the same, but these are the ones I've used.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

First, I'm glad you've never had to use it in 20 years. Let's hope you don't need it in the next 20.

You don't say what kind of water filter you have now but most can be rekitted. You can purchase a field maintenance kit that is basically the rubber O rings and seals. Depending on how the filter element was stored it should be okay. If you have used it and intend to keep it long term then it should be dried then frozen to prevent bacteria, mold, etc., inside the filter element from growing.

I keep a new spare filter element for my MSR. Don't want to need it and find that it's inoperable for any reason. Even though they will all pump a lot of water there is the off chance you would need a second filter if the water has high turbidity or you need to use it for a long time even in clear water.

I have no experience with the Katadyn filters.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

You have brought up a good point.
    I wonder how many people put together a BOB, GHB, GOOD bag etc and never look at it again till needed, only to find stuff ruined?

I guess I would have never thought of spare parts for water filtration gear, or shelf life of the filtration straws and purification tablets?

After losing several flashlights and had candy melt and get sticky, I try hard to keep up on mine.

I have several versions of BOB's I gonna call it that because it's short.

First line is simply pockets, what I carry every day.
    Then:
    Belt bags.
    Fanny packs.
    Next would be hunting coats.
    Vehicles BOB's
    Home, more preps, but still has basic BOB
    Cabin, pretty much the same home.

All has battery powered stuff, try to store with batteries separate or at east one backwards.

I try to do my inventory/check, at Daylight saving change over, while checking batteries in fire detectors....

All hunting coats/bags-remove last years candy, cough drops, hand warmers, last years wrappers.....

Vehicle BOB's are seasonal, carry water in the summer, take out in winter. Same with canned food

Home and cabin preps get rotated with the exception of the MRE's
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27