Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning cookware in the field

Banned

Question Cleaning cookware in the field

I have always hated trying to clean cookware in the field, Its black from soot and always seems to have burnt on food, how do you clean your mess kit when there is no water supply and a simple wipe out is not enough ? I have used sand before to do the scrubbing then just wiped the pots out after, do you all have any Tricks to share ?

I have used sand and made a scouring brush from a bundle of tall grass. Take a 3/4 inch diameter hand full of grass about 12" long and fold it over. Then take a length of grass or twined grass and whip from the folded end down two or three inches and tie it off. Cut the brush about 3" from the wrap. This will last a while. If you are in a hurry like i am I just take the folded grass and scour the bottom with some sand. Rinse in a stream or lake if you have one. I then heat the pan over the fire to kill any buggies from the water and sand. May not be the best thing to do but I've never gotten sick.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

I use plants, but am careful as to not burn food or slop it all over and I don't worry too much about the soot that don't easily rub off with grasses, etc.

I do try to have soap and water when camping though and after I wash the big stuff off with the plants I give a quick wipe down with a light soapy water and light wipe to rinse.

Wipe off with weeds

Wipe off again with weeds or rag and light soapy water

Wipe off once more with weeds/ rags and pure water.

That way i don't waste drinking water and don't have to lug as much around. If there's a creek or pond, usually is, I wash right in there and don't worry about contaminants because I'll be heating those pans, etc. later when I cook.

If you can keep the flames from licking the pan/ etc. it won't get nearly as much soot on it too. Although, I don't seem to have much of a problem with loose soot.

If your not in a hurry just put it on top of a ant pile and let them do the work.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ONLY View Post
    If your not in a hurry just put it on top of a ant pile and let them do the work.
    hey,, Thats a Great Idea !!

I'm kinda a sand/weed/grass scrubber, my self.

Bulrushes work well as they have silica in them, but if you find them it's most likely near water.

Been told that rubbing soap on the pan bottoms (outside) will keep off the soot, but haven't done that in a while, as you still need water to wash it off.

Cast iron, I generally boil out then reseason with cooking oil.
    Last edited by hunter63; 08-14-2010 at 03:41 PM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

You can wipe soap on the outside of the pot and the soot won't stick to it. I asked the same question a couple of years ago and received the above answer. I've tried it and it does work. Not 100% but it does a pretty good job. If you are cooking with an alcohol stove you can add some water to the alcohol and it won't soot.

For burned on food I generally add a bit of soap and let it soak, overnight if possible. Campsuds does a pretty good job cleaning gunk.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You can wipe soap on the outside of the pot and the soot won't stick to it. I asked the same question a couple of years ago and received the above answer. I've tried it and it does work. Not 100% but it does a pretty good job. If you are cooking with an alcohol stove you can add some water to the alcohol and it won't soot.

For burned on food I generally add a bit of soap and let it soak, overnight if possible. Campsuds does a pretty good job cleaning gunk.
    No foolin ? I never would have guessed that ,, does that work with oil lamps too ? or just alcohol ?

I've never tried it with oil. I've seen 10%-20% water to alcohol. I've never figured out how you calculate that in the field. I've used alcohol stoves in the past (Trangia) and have added a small amount of water to them. I did see a noticeable difference in the amount of soot build up but alcohol was just to inconvenient for me so I use an MSR Pocket Rocket now. Not much soot with gas. More smokey than soot.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

I realized after i logged off that oil and water dont mix but water and alcohol do, this is why you can put some alcohol in your tank if there is water in the gasoline, The water will mix with the alcohol and burn, i dont think putting it in an oil lamp would be a very good idea

That's also why some unrefined people add water to their Scotch.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I rarely clean my cookware in the field. My small rat dog Abby usually takes care of that and I just rinse out the dog spit.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    I rarely clean my cookware in the field. My small rat dog Abby usually takes care of that and I just rinse out the dog spit.
    LOL

....As clean as cold water will get them...........Here boy, come on Clean Water, good boy ...got some dishes for ya.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Bacteria, the other white meat.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    That's also why some unrefined people add water to their Scotch.
    You know, I never understood that. Or soda for that matter. (Yuck!)
    I don't even want ice to dilute it. But then that's just me and Mr. B.
    Never ever met anyone who felt the same way.

I hate when soot on the bottom of your pot rubs all over your clothes :S

You ever pick up a pot and do whatever. A few minutes later you wipe your face and everyone starts laughing. You just transferred the soot from the pot to your face. Been there.....

At least you've got a pot to pi$$ in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You ever pick up a pot and do whatever. A few minutes later you wipe your face and everyone starts laughing. You just transferred the soot from the pot to your face. Been there.....
    Just tell em that you're going tactical. Next step is to make your gillie suit over top of your wet suit.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Man vs. Gunk

Right. When you find yourself in the bush, mate, and your cookware has gone simply rancid you can always pee in the pot. Slosh it around a bit and have a bit of a go at it. Once you get past the smell the taste isn't too bad.