Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the definitive knife thread

Quote Originally Posted by Erratus Animus View Post
    Were I live, work, play, hunt and camp a hatchet is a very intelligent choice. Without it you can get by however you will burn more calories trying to use tools not ideally suited for the task.

A hatchet is very useful. Now dont get ruffled here but listen; you may not yet posses the knowledge to know how useful it can be.

As for what Les and the boys carry and have to say...... and in the words of Forest Gump" thats all I have to say bout that"

Threads that show the legitimate use of a tool would serve ppl better in letting them chose what they need for the chores they anticipate.In our zeal to discuss things lets be careful in drawing lines in the sand.
    well to quote mathew quigley
    "said i never had much use for one, never said i didn't know how to use it"
    you will get to know me if you stick around here and you will soon learn that me and bow are very persistent at doing research and what i have found is the amount of effert put into splitting wood with a hatchet compared to a bow saw is different, i can saw thru faster than a hatchet.
    now i am not reffering to an axe that i use at home to split wood with, but who carries that big of an axe on a backpacking trip, sure you might bring it to hunt camp with you, but in my research so far of folks lost in the bush none of them had a long handled axe on them
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

How is this turning into a debate?

If your toolset works for you and mine works for me, what is the issue?

To each their own. I know people that swear by small knives. My son and I went out to practice building a skunk cabbage leaf shingled shelter the other day and all I brought along was a 4" bladed knife. It worked, but not as hard as I had to. HAHAHA.

I'm used to a big knife. I won't go out without one again.

I am a builder of things in the bush. I enjoy it. It's the thing that steers my tool choices.

Bob has an axe, Ed has a bowsaw, Sven carries a sharp stick. They all spend weeks in the bush a yr. Which one is "right"?

All of them.
    Last edited by Winter; 08-14-2010 at 02:27 PM.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    you're new here so you don't know who i am or where i am from or even my background and training so i'll let that statement pass by
    that being said you did not mention anything that you carry when going off into the bush, mountains, desert and so on, other than an axe in a campground, don't know, never been to a campground so maybe it is useful there, but after 7 days of rain how are you starting a fire by cutting up a large pecie of wood with an axe? or skinning a rabbit for breaky?

As far as what is said about proper tools for the job i agree 100%, but what about safety and when in the bush on a 1 week trek far from the roads, why carry the extra weight of an axe when there are much better methods.
    this thread is not meant as an attack on axes it, it is meant to help evryone understand what to use in what situation.
    I heat my home with wood, for that a chainsaw works great then an axe, but i'm not carrying a chainsaw when i go trekking in the bush-see the difference
    I am just trying to emphasise the point about the size of the knife my 2in gerber can skin my meal quickly and safely
    It is not about being dangerous so don't carry a gun or drive, it is about being 20 miles away from a roadand bleeding profusley because of using the wrong tool or right tool wrongly.
    Thank you for showing mercy on me and my opinions. that means a lot to me, being new and all, since in post #14 you say the exact same thing I just said.

How come all your recient posts seem to be opinion baiting, change course in mid stream and then you disappear after the argument starts between two other members?

You are a Master, arn't you?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Blog Entries

Faster does not equal easier. Again my point being where I am geographically it is a good choice. You can research all you want but if you are not in that area testing then it matters not. To me its kinda like testing snowshoes in La and saying hey I did not sink in the mud but they sure are clunky and now the neighbors think bigfoot is in their back yard. Next time you are in this area and a gator, coon or feral dog attacks I say get to sawing! Firearms are not allowed on reserves out of season here either.

No need to get upset either just making the point whats good for you does not mean everything else is not good for others.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    How is this turning into a debate?

If your toolset works for you and mine works for me, what is the issue?

To each their own. I know people that swear by small knives. My son and I went out to practice building a skunk cabbage leaf shingled shelter the other day and all I brought along was a 4" bladed knife. It worked, but not as hard as I had to. HAHAHA.

I'm used to a big knife. I won't go out without one again.

I am a builder of things in the bush. I enjoy it. It's the thing that steers my tool choices.

Bob has an axe, Ed has a bowsaw, Sven carries a sharp stick. They all spend weeks in the bush a yr. Which one is "right"?

All of them.

WELL SAID WINTER! Kudos

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Thank you for showing mercy on me and my opinions. that means a lot to me, being new and all, since in post #14 you say the exact same thing I just said.

How come all your recient posts seem to be opinion baiting, change course in mid stream and then you disappear after the argument starts between two other members?

You are a Master, arn't you?
    well since you asked, wheres the arguement between two memebers?
    and i keep dissappearing cuz i'm trying to get the hay done between rain storms, oh wait i'm gonna disappear agin got another load of hay to do.
    and no change of opinion, all i ask if for people to keep an open mind and do research, never just take what someone here says as gospel and move on with it but to always say ok, you say thats the best way, let me go to the bush and see.
    even when i learn something from allen i still analzye it several ways to see if that is the best for me
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

The advice I give to people looking for a knife is simple.

Take any knife out. Use it. Form an opinion on what you like about it and what you don't.

Take that knowledge to select your next knife.

Only problem with this advice is that I am always looking for more out of a knife and have ended up with alot of knives. OK, not really a problem, I love knives.

I have an axe, a couple of machetes, and many , many knives. ALL of our camping is what MOST call primitive camping and down here you do not need an axe or a machete.

We start our fires in the back country with pine as a starter and the wood from hard wood hammocks for fuel. Break it between living trees works fine. Burn through the bigger logs.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    well since you asked, wheres the arguement between two memebers?
    and i keep dissappearing cuz i'm trying to get the hay done between rain storms, oh wait i'm gonna disappear agin got another load of hay to do.
    and no change of opinion, all i ask if for people to keep an open mind and do research, never just take what someone here says as gospel and move on with it but to always say ok, you say thats the best way, let me go to the bush and see.
    even when i learn something from allen i still analzye it several ways to see if that is the best for me

Next year plant more hay.

How does that much hay grow in northern Ontario up there next to Hudsons Bay? Didn't think they grew crops that far north. Must be the global warming.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-14-2010 at 09:54 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Any way you guys can argue somewhere else?

Trying to learn here.