Thread: Making your own Gilla (Ghillie) Suit (made easy)

Cool Making your own Gilla (Ghillie) Suit (made easy)

My version is just a short nature way of making a Ghillie suit so I call this the Gilla Suit. =)

Making a Gilla Suit can be fun for practice, but when in the bush you may find a time you will need one. So here is a quick guide on making your own quick Gilla Suit with only using parachute cord.

Sometimes we get ourselves into a rough spot, what ever the case may be or you just want to use it for hunting. Either way, this is for you to know and the Prey never to find out.

Items needed to buy: Parachute cord. Cut into lengths that will go around your body, arms, legs and around the forehead. Carry these in your bug out bag or put them in your BDU pockets.

The first thing is what environment are you in? Is it a forest or high plans area? You want your Gilla Suit to match the environment as closely as possible. You may have to change from bushes to high grass in your Gilla Suit as you move along to avoid standing out. If the area is green, you want to look green, if it is yellow you want to look yellow.

In bushy areas or in forests you can use what is available to make your Gilla Suit by grabbing some bushes and cutting them off towards the bottom. Then tie all your straps of parachute cord to the various areas of your body. Then slide in the branches and bushes under the parachute cord and for each part of your body you can use smaller or larger bushes and branches until you have a good and complete coverage of your body with the branches and bushes. See an area that is exposing your clothing, add some more bushes or branches. You will want to cover your back more than your front since you will want to always stay close to the ground, unless you want to cover area faster then put just as many in front as there is on your back.

In a high plains area you will use the tall grass instead of green branches and green bushes.

You adjust to each area you are in. If you come from the forest into a high plains area, then you need to find a nice area that has lots of cover and change your attire from bushes to yellow grass to fit the environment you wan to cross. High plans requires a lot of crawling to avoid detection. Move slowly, always move slowly to avoid any detection since any fast movement will give you away.

What you are doing is blending in your body with the environment. Simple as that.

Now moving through the forest you will want to go from bush to bush, tree to tree. Never just leave yourself out in the open, but move slowly from bush to bush. Crawl if you have to, get on your belly in wider open areas and slowly slide to the next bush or tree.

In the larger open plains areas you will have no other choice but to wiggle on your belly and move slowly like a snake through the tall grass. Unless it is at night, then you can crawl faster and try to avoid making a silhouette or outline of your body in the moon lit sky behind you.

Now, what if they are using infrared vision? Oh, well then you will have to get yourself a neoprene diving suit and wear it at all times. With the hood even and yes the little foot covers as well. Having a good set of neoprene gloves will help too. Now all that is going to show heat is your face. This you will protect by keeping your head down as much as possible and using your hood to block the heat signals from your face so they cannot see you as easily. Now, even if a small heat signature shows up, it will not look human. It will look like a rodent more than anything unless they make out the outline of your eyes and mouth if they are that close. So you can also make your own face mask and just have holes for the nose blow holes and your eyes. This is now an infrared resistant suit, which you can put you Gilla Suit over that and be completely stealth as long as you keep low to the ground and move slowly. They will walk right past you and never know you were there.

Cost of a neoprene diving suit, around 200-300 dollars for a basic one. Hood, foot covers and gloves are extra. But.. don't you just want one now? =)

If you want to practice with these during hunting season, you will still have to get rid of your human smell. So stand in front of a camp fire and let the smoke run over your body for about 10 minutes and then roll around in some bushes or leaves, then you have complete stealth from animals.
    Born to be Free.
    Be prepared to Survive Everything.
    Urban/Homestead/EMP/Health/Disaster Survival Preparedness Forum:
    http://www.bsoscblog/forum/

Guy1: "Oh, dude."
    Guy2: "You like my Ghillie suit? I tied these plants to me. Quick and easy."
    Guy1: "Uh, yeah. You do know that's poison ivy, right?"
    Guy2: "Say what?"

On the neoprene suit. Just curious. Have you ever used night vision gear?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Pic's?????????????
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Guy1: "Uh, yeah. You do know that's poison ivy, right?"

On the neoprene suit. Just curious. Have you ever used night vision gear?

Of course if you use something like poison ivy you will find it uncomfortable.
    Yes, I am have night vision of every kind. It's just another form of camo, which if you blend in with nature you will be harder to detect.

No, I do not have any pics. Last time I said I would get pics, it has been raining non stop, so I won't dare I will say I will try and get pics up anymore. =)

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by AirborneEagles; 08-14-2010 at 12:13 AM.
    Born to be Free.

While you're waiting on the rain to stop, you could stop by the Introduction Section and tell us a bit about yourself. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14 It's certainly not required, but since you've been offering us quite a bit of advice and "how to" stuff, it would be nice to know where and from whom the advice is coming from.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Gosh, you sure have a bunch of money tied up in gear if you have night vision of every kind. That's a lot of dough.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Seems like a lot of work and expense to me. I'll pass.

Thanks for posting, hope the rain stops soon.

I would think that your body temp is going to go crazy just being in the neoprene suit. I gave up waders of that material for that reason alone.

I guess I have to ask,.....Ghillie suit, neoprene suit, night vision?
    Just what are you hunting? Or what's hunting you?

My BS meter is going off, sorry.
    Over and out....Carry on.

"Something is rotten in the State of Denmark".
    Last edited by BENESSE; 08-14-2010 at 07:50 PM.

Guy1: "Uh, yeah. You do know those are naga jolokia peppers, right?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Guy1: "Uh, yeah. You do know those are naga jolokia peppers, right?"
    Guy1: Don't worry, it only hurts when you pee.

Cool

It's just an idea. Goodness. You don't have to like it. If it makes you feel better, delete the thread then.
    Born to be Free.

Ghillie Suit??? Sew some netting to a pair of Cammies and then attach Jute ( brown, tan and green) to the netting. Add local vegetation lay still and disappear.

Thermal imagining is harder to defeat then IR.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

It's okay, AE. We're just having fun.