Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DPMS Panther AR-15

The have been "improving" the AR every since it came out. When are they going to get it right?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    The have been "improving" the AR every since it came out. When are they going to get it right?
    When they finally make enough modifications to it that they infringe on the Galil Patent.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Which Galil patent is that? the one they negated from old man Kalasnikov? There's a reason that the Isreali's have nearly dropped the Galil in favor of the M-16, it is a superior weapon. That new Tavor is a fine looking weapon so far though, it too does not have the shortcomings of the AK/Galil.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Nope not kidding. The BS of the tale exists only in the minds of those that did not hold the first ones that went into combat. Colt had contracted Matel for the first stocks. It actually had the Matel stamp. It also lacked a forward assist and had X (experimental) as the first unit of the serial number.

They took away a perfectly good M14 that I had been using for some really efficient work up till then. I stood there holding that cap-gun it in my grubby hands wondering how long I was going to live. They gave us 30 minutes instruction on it, three spotting rounds for zero and sent us out.

The scarey part was that no one seemed worried because they were carrying rifles that they had not properly zeroed. That answered some of the questions I had about out hit count being so low.

I got out of that unit ASAP. In some cases you can volunteer for more hazardous duty so you will be safer.

Not to be argumentative KY but that{ mattel marked Colt's} simply did not happen. Colt, Armalite and Mattel records prove as much.
    I am aware of X marked rifles, actually it's XM marked weapons, I have handled and fired a fair number of said rifles, none were marked as you say.
    My own personal weapon is an XM177E2, again, no Mattel markings, sorry, it never happened!

Quote Originally Posted by tacticalguy View Post
    New AR-15. Never owned one before. Can anyone tell my why it smells kinda funny when I shoot it?

Sir, I apologize, I got caught up in the whole "mattel" thing and forgot you actually had a question. What you smell that is different than other gas operated rifles is the "gas". The AR gas system directs gas back to the bolt carrier which is coincidently, next to your nose, thus the smell. Fire a Mini 14 then pull it from the stock and pull the charging handle and stick your nose to the gas piston and you'll smell the same thing.

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well Rick, I never thought of that as a resource to prove my point, thank you sir.